Thread: Onions

Default Onions

when do i plant my onion bulbs?is it to late,or to early?I'm in fairbanks and have never grown anything from bulbs and i have never had much luck growing onions from seed.

June 1st is supposed to be the magic day for the interior, last year I planted a week earlier than that and everything turned out fine, I have an above ground garden though...

Thats usually about the time i plant my garden also but i'm just not sure about the onion bulbs.I normally have good results with everything else but always have bad luck with onions.this year i figured i would try growing them from the bulbs rather than seed.Have you ever tried either?if so how did they turn out for you.

Thumbs up onion bulbs

Those onion bulbs are good stuff. They grow much better and faster than seeds. I have always planted those and garlic bulbs about 2 weeks earlier than the other garden veggies with good results. Since they are underground most often a late mild frost won't be a problem. Yup, June 1st is the magic planting day around Fairbanks town. It is about a week later here at my location.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default garlic?

i always wondered about growing garlic in alaska.do you grow them outside,orin a greenhouse?thanks for the onion info. i will proboally put them in the ground today.

Default garlic

Yup, just plant those garlic cloves as you would your onion set. They grow just fine up here in Alaska.

Good luck,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley