Thread: Whittier or Homer for kings / halibut

Default Whittier or Homer for kings / halibut

I need help in decieding to go all the way to Anchor River, Homer area for King salmon and halibut, or just drive to Whittier.. With the price of gas so **** high, and the road still rough from frost heaving. I only get a single chance to take my two young boys out for spring fishing. Can anyone tell me if there is an area where we can troll for kings out of Whittier. I have the boat to travel as far as Knight or Montaque islands, and its set up with electric downriggers.. I just dont have a clue where to fish. Any Island points or cove info would be so helpful, and very much appreaciated. Thanks to all... Hank

wish i had a definite place for kings out of whittier, only caught 2 both trolling pigot point. bright chum you can get inlake bay, reds should be close to main bay, if not already there. usually 3 week in june they are there. if your looking for kings close, i would say seward, should be around pony cove, halibut in whittier are where you find them. water seems to be getting flatter soyou should be ok.me i prefer the protected waters of pws over resurection bay and katchamak bay.but thats my thoughts. hope it helps. another place to try for salmon is top of esther passage,coghill. hope i helped.jeff

Default thanks Jeff

Yes sir, those protected waters are nice.. Appreacite the help.. I will go out this weekend and troll around.. Caught some halibut off the north side of Knight last year... We caught a ton of silvers at Main bay too.. Thanks again
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by hanks59 View Post
    I need help in decieding to go all the way to Anchor River, Homer area for King salmon and halibut, or just drive to Whittier.. With the price of gas so **** high, and the road still rough from frost heaving. I only get a single chance to take my two young boys out for spring fishing. Can anyone tell me if there is an area where we can troll for kings out of Whittier. I have the boat to travel as far as Knight or Montaque islands, and its set up with electric downriggers.. I just dont have a clue where to fish. Any Island points or cove info would be so helpful, and very much appreaciated. Thanks to all... Hank
    All the information I got so far recommended Whittier was further but halibut fishing was closer in, so you save time in your overall trip to fishing grounds. Remember, you'll likely lose time waiting for the tunnel going to Whittier.