Thread: Lure question for silvers

Default Lure question for silvers

Hello everyone,there has been some excellent discussions about spinners for silvers but my question is has anyonw had success with simple jigs and soft grub baits? I am asking because I have access to lead and molds if they work? Thanks Flyrod

Yes, jigs drifted under a bobber in the same manner as they are used for steelhead can be very effective for cohos.

Make the jigs with plenty of maribou and on strong hooks. Cover the full spectrum of colors, including black.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsiutoo View Post
    Yes, jigs drifted under a bobber in the same manner as they are used for steelhead can be very effective for cohos.

Make the jigs with plenty of maribou and on strong hooks. Cover the full spectrum of colors, including black.
    Definately!!!!! Bright pink under a float are deadly on the Upper Kenai in October!!!

They work well without a float too! Just jig 'em on in.

When silvers are on the bite they will hit just about anything. Try try some bass lures like poppers, spinnerbaits, crank baits & plastics (worms, swim baits & tubes).
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-15-2008 at 11:43. Reason: spelling

I have caught silvers on jigs without floats. I have done well off the Valdez boat dock (work great for pinks too), Ship creek and Eklutna tailrace.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I have caught silvers on jigs without floats. I have done well off the Valdez boat dock (work great for pinks too), Ship creek and Eklutna tailrace.
    My experience is that both silvers and pinks like movement. If you can avoid the pinks, you'll catch the silvers.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-