Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .44 load ?

Default Best .44 load ?

OK guys it looks like I'll be packing a .44 mag to fish with & as a backup / bear pistol. What is the best FACTORY load I can get? (Tarus 6" bbl)

Default Corbon

I like corbons... 300 or 320 grain. Not a great round for excessive target practice... but lots of knock down power.

I cronoed a lot of high end factory 300 grain loads last year. The federal cast core was the hottest. It was faster and more consistent than 300 grain corbons out of a 4 inch barrel. It's also the cheapest ammo that I tested.

I haven't tested them all, but I'll give another + vote for the 300gr Federal Cast Core. I can't find my chronograph notes for that load, but I believe it was right at 1300 fps from my 8&3/8 S&W. Very consistent & accurate.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks to all for the insight. Fed cast core looks like the ticket.

AK backpacker from wal-mart was also better than the cor-bon. I don't like the small meplat that it has though. The federal cast core has the largest meplat of any factory ammo also.

Default Buffalo Bore

Buffalo Bore makes a 340gr +p+ .44 round with around a 1450 FPS muzzle velocity. You can only shoot them out of certain firearms such as Ruger Super RedHawks, Colt Anaconda.'s, Smith and Wesson 629 ect.

Garrett ammo is pretty hot, but spendy. Doubletap's hot ammo is cheap.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Garrett ammo is pretty hot, but spendy. Doubletap's hot ammo is cheap.
    Here's a quote from Randy Garrett that he posted on the high road:

Randy Garrett
    02-19-2000, 06:57 PM

"Although they are a competitor of our's, I like the Federal Cast-Core 44 Magnum load."

I didn't test the garrett ammo but I did test the 300 grain offerings from:

AK backpaker
    Federal Cast Core
    Corbon 300 and 310
    Grizzly Cartridge Co. 300g belt mountain penetrator

Federal was the fastest and most consistent.

Thumbs up

Another vote for the Fed Cast Cores.

Default Real data?

I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest or anything, but so far I've seen preferences and weigh/velocity data. Does anyone have any penetration data on bear flesh and bone?

Or better yet, references where the OP could look up the data. (Me too, because I sure don't have any data of my own, only what I have read on various forums like this one.)

Regardless, thanks for the suggestions.

By the way, I used to carry 44 Mags from Arctic Ammunition Company (Eagle River) with 265 Gr Barnes Solids. Flat point, seemed to be brass or bronze fully jacketed. Now I picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull, but have not chosen a bullet yet, and I want to make a more considered and educated choice than before.

Lost Sheep (Larry)
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 05-15-2008 at 23:36. Reason: Left out SRH Chambering - doh!

Default Real field data

Check out Ak Ray's timber penetration/ field test results for several kinds of .44Mag ammo here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=saami

Also this piece from Guns & Ammo, "Make Mine a .44" that focuses on high-energy .44 loads, also (like Ak Ray) uses some timber penetration results, but includes wet newspaper penetration data -eye opening performance from Garrett, Buffalo Bore and Belt Mountain ammo:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/make_111405/

If you search for "linebaugh penetration testing" in google you'll get more penetration info then you ever wanted. Most of those results are with handload ammo though. If your looking for maximum penetration in a .44, the belt mountain punch bullet is the way to go. It's a lead filled machined brass rod. In tests at linebaugh seminars they are penetrating deeper than .454 rounds. I've heard that they gotten them to penetrate 57" of wet newspaper. The only problem is that there is only one factory offering using these bullets. Grizzly cartridge produces a round with these bullets. They're the most expensive .44 round and they only produced 1020fps out of a 5.5" barrel. If you loaded them yourself over a stout load of 110 I am sure that you could get them up into the 1300 ballpark that the Federals are in. I shot a black bear with a Federal Cast core last year. The bullet passed though one shoulder and the chest and exited the other side. You don't need any more penetration than that.

Does anyone have data on the .44 rounds from Ammo Smith of Alaska? (They're the guys at the gun shows with white box/blue lettering ammo.) I pick up a box (or six) from their Palmer show every year, but I don't have any information on their loadings to make comparisons, other then their prices are good. They've got 300 and 320 grain .44 loads in hard cast, fat meplat bullets. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    Does anyone have data on the .44 rounds from Ammo Smith of Alaska? (They're the guys at the gun shows with white box/blue lettering ammo.) I pick up a box (or six) from their Palmer show every year, but I don't have any information on their loadings to make comparisons, other then their prices are good. They've got 300 and 320 grain .44 loads in hard cast, fat meplat bullets. Any thoughts?
    As I recall they are right in the 1300 fps range too (can't find that batch of notes). I like them, although I usually buy my componets from him & load my own.
    The bullets are from "Performance Cast".
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks for the info, Vance.

I'll second the Double Tap loads.... 320 grain hardcasts. I shoot them in my Redhawk and they hit HARD. At $40 per 50 last time I purchased they're priced way lower than their quality.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default Sell the Tarus

Hhounds:

Is your Tarus a Raging Bull? If not, sell the Tarus, buy a Ruger Redhawk, Dan Wesson or Raging Bull. Load it with Garret +P Hammerheads and you're done.

Marc

Default Keep the Taurus

Or just flush $200 down the toilet and pretend you now own a Ruger Redhawk or Dan Wesson.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by SERE.AK View Post
    Buffalo Bore makes a 340gr +p+ .44 round with around a 1450 FPS muzzle velocity. You can only shoot them out of certain firearms such as Ruger Super RedHawks, Colt Anaconda.'s, Smith and Wesson 629 ect.
    Copied from Buffalo Bore's web site

"This new load is designed for only certain revolvers that have the cylinder length to handle it. They are as follows. Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, "modified" Marlin 1894, Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle."

Does not mention S&W as being suitable for the +P+ 340 grain load

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#44P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast