Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help Rubi or Grizz 700?

Question Need help Rubi or Grizz 700?

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while, but I've been searching through the posts for some info and still could use a little advice. I currently have 2 ATV's I got used (first ATV's I've owned): an 01 Rancher 350 with manual shift that runs great and a 01 Grizz 600 that's been in and out of the shop a few times with a pesky electrical problem I think we finally fixed (corroded wire shorting out). So I'm selling the Grizz and looking for a new machine.

We mostly run beaches down in Homer, beachcombing, hauling big chunks of driftwood and small boulders for landscaping, probably use it for hunting or a little trail riding in the future, but mostly a workhorse.

Seems like you get more for you money with the Griz, but I know the Honda's have a good rep for reliable workhorses. Things that worry me about the Rubi are rear drum brakes near saltwater, low clearance, lower tow capacity. The Grizz I just question the reliabilty since I had a little trouble with the old one, but imagine buying new will be better.

Thanks for any help!

I have the Grizzly 700 with power steering and for the type of riding I do I couldn't be happier but I don't know if you need all of that for what you are doing with yours. Living in Fairbanks mine has never seen salt water conditions so I don't know that I would have an opinion on that one.

The only thing that I can offer is that I am NOT a fan of drum brakes on ATV's. They are gonna get water in them, salt water would be very bad. Although Honda makes a fine product I would not buy it because of the drum brakes, especially in salty conditions. The only brake system other than disks that I like is the sealed wet brake system on the Kawasaki. Just my .02.

The Rubi will pull more than you think, i've pulled over 1000lbs with my Foreman so I'm pretty sure you could pull a little more than that with the Rubi. I'm not a huge fan of drum brakes either but I like Honda's so I'll deal with the drum brakes when the time comes, or convert it over to disk like a lot of folks are doing.

I made the changeover from the Rubicon to the Grizz ('07 700). Couldn't be happier!! Will never go back to Honda unless they decide to catch up to the rest. A few reasons for my changeover: 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, fuel injection, IRS, diff lock, super comfortable, great fuel economy, ability to run in 2wd, and not a problem yet.

Yep, the Honda is a great machine and a workhorse but I don't pull a trailer all year long. I haven't regretted my change at all.
    EricL

I have an 08 Grizzly 700 with almost 1000 miles in just over three months. I ride it hard, with LOTS of abuse. It has not let me down yet. And I can ride hard all day without being worn out, because of the plush suspension and power steering. I have not hauled anything with it yet, but I will this Sat. at the annual Jim Creek clean-up. I've got a 1000 Lb. capacity trailer ready to be overloaded! I have plenty of faith in the reliability of the Hondas, but they are behind the times when it comes to modern big-bore UTE's.

Buy the Grizzly. I PROMISE you will not be disappointed!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Thanks for the info!

I will throw another vote in there for the grizzly 700. Good design. Only thing close is the king quad Suzuki. Almost got one of them because of the recoil start backup. Glad I didn't. I like the grizzly.

Yamaha for me, I test rode them all, compaired specs and prices last year when I bought. I purchased two more Yamahas.

Do your homework, then have fun test riding and you will find the machine right for you.

700 Griz with 2000 miles. Very happy with it.

I've got a Rubicon, can't say anything bad about it. Only drawback I have with Hondas is ground clearence.

Angry Hondas are for women and old people

Forget Honda. If it doesnt have diff. lock, it's not 4 wheel drive. You know the Polaris sportsman is the best selling atv of all time right? It provides a vastly superior ride quality to ALL other brands. They are heavy for sure though. The criteria for my last purchase and all to follow is -- 1. diff lock 2. independant rear suspension 3. automatic transmission 4. low range transmission. Honda's are great for wifes or trail riders, but serious work shows major issues with brakes and the lack of low range. My buddy swears by them untill steep downhills and climbs, then I see the FEAR in his eyes. Honda is the only brand I didnt consider when I bought. My buddy has a griz and likes it but it has had issues with poor starting and cold runability, and transmission gear selection. Also it doesnt ride nearly as nice as the polaris. It's the skidoo rev of 4x4 atv's.

Default Grizz 700

2200 miles and still going.

HAHAHA!!!! You're funny.......and you know what they say about opinions......... Takes a big man to call names over a keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by The Greg View Post
    Forget Honda. If it doesnt have diff. lock, it's not 4 wheel drive. You know the Polaris sportsman is the best selling atv of all time right? It provides a vastly superior ride quality to ALL other brands. They are heavy for sure though. The criteria for my last purchase and all to follow is -- 1. diff lock 2. independant rear suspension 3. automatic transmission 4. low range transmission. Honda's are great for wifes or trail riders, but serious work shows major issues with brakes and the lack of low range. My buddy swears by them untill steep downhills and climbs, then I see the FEAR in his eyes. Honda is the only brand I didnt consider when I bought. My buddy has a griz and likes it but it has had issues with poor starting and cold runability, and transmission gear selection. Also it doesnt ride nearly as nice as the polaris. It's the skidoo rev of 4x4 atv's.

Btw I am a big man and can defend my opinions.I wasn't bashing a person or opinion just strongly stating what I've expereinced first hand. On a lighter note I can sometimes offend people on forums with my strong opinions on certain subjects. I think Honda makes the highest quality equipment in just about every market they are in. I just am not impressed with the lack of features needed for Alaska's tough and diverse conditions. They are top quality for sure though.I would do the Grizzly no doubt if these were my only two choices.

Good thing it's a free country and we can pick and choose what we want. To say that Honda 4 wheelers are for old people and women is an insult to both and to those of us that own and ride Hondas. Many people in Alaska's villages own Honda wheelers and that says a lot. You love your Polaris and talk about how great they are but my personal opinion of Polaris is much, much different than yours but we won't get into that as it is pointless. I've owned a Honda for more than 16 years and they are a true workhorse, not just a trail machine as you say they are. Have a little respect for those that don't want to ride the same machine as you, freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

The rubi does have a low gear, in fact most honda's have a low gear, the rincon is the only one I know of that does not. The rubicon is made to be work machine. The rincon is made to be a trail machine. I ride trails and Rincon serves me well (in fact much better than the best selling ATV ever did).
    Honda does not have a diff lock but you can manipulate them to get all four wheels turning. Most honda owners know this, so if you don't own one you surely would know this and could easily call it a three wheel drive machine.

Thanks for all the info everyone. We were all set to get the Griz until... my wife saw the Rhino. So we just bought a Rhino 700 from Performance Yamaha, their service was far better than the guys at Anchorage Yamaha.

Excellent choice. Now go have some fun and post pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. We were all set to get the Griz until... my wife saw the Rhino. So we just bought a Rhino 700 from Performance Yamaha, their service was far better than the guys at Anchorage Yamaha.
    Excellent choice! I've bought three machines from them so far and I've been very impressed with their service.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast