Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighted in the 30-06 today

Default Sighted in the 30-06 today

Went to rabbit creek today and sighted my gun into the kill site, wind was blowing pretty good pushing it about 8 inches right at 100 yards however when the wind died for a minute the round I popped off was 1 inch above aim

Im gonna go shoot it again tomorow, but I had a grouping of 3-4 inches at 100 yards - Would you go in the field with a group like that?

8 inch wind drift is a whole lot for 100 yds, must have had a hurricane. And 3-4 inch group a 100 is big also. I would keep my shots to less than 200 yds based on that, and that assuming you have a good steady rest

Winds were a good 30mph and 4/5 were in a 3 inch group- I dont plan on shooting over 150 yards

Thumbs up 3006

Sight in 2" to 3" high @ 100 yards if 150 yards is your longest shot the 2" high at 100 yards would be excellent for the 30-06........but if you expect a longer shot then the 3" high @ 100 yards would apply.

I zero all my moose guns 3"@ 100 yrds except the Bear stand gun its zero dead on at 25 yards on the nail.

As far as groups......a average gun with good ammo should be 1" to 1.5"@ 100yards anything more is not good for rifle.........all my main rifles are less than MOA or 1".
    Alaska

Default My thoughts

I have hunted with my 06 up here for over 20 years and taken a good amount of game. 2" high at 100 yards has kept me perfect to 300 yards and I have not taken a shot longer than that. The wind push you are describing seems very excessive. Going back to the range to shoot in the calm is a great idea.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Was the wind blowing your muzzle around? You probably should go back on a calm day and see how it's shooting. If you sight 2 1/2 inches high at 100 with a 180 gr bullet, you'll be about 6" low at 300.

Default Hey montana

Not stirring anything here just a question. I have shot 175 grain since 1979 in my 3006. Remington model 742 semi auto. I sight in at 2 high at 100 hundred, dead nuts at 200 hundred and only about 1 inch low at 300. This has been consistent for years. Im just wondering what the big difference could be. Im shooting a 2x7 variable leopold that I had mounted when i bought the gun in 82. Just picking your brain

Chuck, 2" high at 100 will get you close to zero at 200, but it starts to drop like a rock after that...to about 8 inches low at 300. Here are a couple of ballistic sites to check and an on line ballistic calc to play with. Pick a few bullets on the Fed site and hit the compare button. Then you can plug in some numbers on the ballistic calc, just use the default BC, it's close enough.

I sight in my 30-06 with 180's at 2 1/2 high at 100. That puts me really close..certainly minute of moose at 300.

Default Thanks for the info

I dont think i have ever been even close past 300. 250 or less for sure and been lucky Most about 150ish. Im just puzzled as why i did not show such a drop off. Gonna have to recheck everything for sure. A quick story not to hijack the thread. 16 years old, got my first moose with the 06 in question. Oh and 1982. Moose wass about 125 out. Next day day 3 of a 10 day hunt Im sleeping in the tent (denali highway area but up a river) and of course pouring like mad. Dad kicks the tent. I stir, he says, want to shoot your caribou (drawing permit at this time and I had one) I jumped out. Sure. Less than 100 yards from the tent and camp was a herd moving through the dry river bed. The last thing I remember as I shouldered my gun, glasses off, and free handed the shot was my dad saying "shoot the one with the horns son" Ummm dad they all have horns. I did take a bull. Not huge but respectable. Just wanted to share that and thanks for the input montana. Oh and it was a 175 grain then too.

This is data with a 30-06 and a 180 grain Nosler partition with a BC of .474 and a velocity of 2750 fps.
    Max Point blank range is 274 yds when zeroed at 232 yds.Range

3.0" high @100----------150 yard zero
    100 yards +2.9"---------- +0.8"
    150 yards +3.2"---------- 0.0"
    200 yards +2.0"---------- -2.2"
    232 yards +0.0"---------- -4.0"
    250 yards -0.7"---------- -6.0"
    275 yards -2.6"---------- -8.5"
    300 yards -5.0"---------- -11.4"

BC and velocity will vary and will change these numbers slightly, also this is based on a scope height of 1.5" above the bore, this change will also effect the trajectory. Nothing else will affect these numbers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default dang

So Murphy is that the square root of 1869493,3430430,000

Not busting on you but what a set of numbers at the end of your post. whooooooooooo

Murphy, thanks fer clearing things up so well

Chuck, cool Caribou story

And remember, weight has nothing to do with BC

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    So Murphy is that the square root of 1869493,3430430,000

Not busting on you but what a set of numbers at the end of your post. whooooooooooo

I was trying to import a chart...didn't work. We were all posting at the same time...didn't work.....I had four windows open at the same time....didn't work....I hate windows! Here is some up date data la manual.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

And gravity has nothing to do with bullet drop.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Hey, I heard that!!

I zero all my guns dead on at 100 yards and their still dead on at 1000 yards cuz neither weight nor gravity matter! Oops that shtuff only works on the moon!

Chuck: I am not familiar with a 175 gr 30 cal bullet - who is the manufacturer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast