Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Trout

Default Trophy Trout

Hey I know everyone is really excited about the salmon, but i want to ask all you old timers and all you other pros out there in the forum world,,,, Where in Alaska would you go to catch a real Trophy Lake Trout, meaning up near the State record or BIGGER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T11R17 View Post
    Hey I know everyone is really excited about the salmon, but i want to ask all you old timers and all you other pros out there in the forum world,,,, Where in Alaska would you go to catch a real Trophy Lake Trout, meaning up near the State record or BIGGER!!!!!!!!
    I`m not allowed to divulge that kind of information.

Hint...Think north where water never gets about 60 degrees and there is still 1+ foot of solid ice on the lakes as of right now.

Sorry if I`m not helping

Try large lakes north of the arctic circle, or I have heard some good things about lake louise.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I`m not allowed to divulge that kind of information.

Hint...Think north where water never gets about 60 degrees and there is still 1+ foot of solid ice on the lakes as of right now.

Sorry if I`m not helping

Im thinking of a lake some where between anchorage and glennallen that is road accesible
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default harding lake

produces some nice lakers from what i hear. summit, paxson, louise, all have lakers and about anyone would think that louise will produce the next record fish. is the tanana runnable up there yet? goodpaster?

Default Wherever you go to find it.....

take a photo and let it go. Mounted fish can't spawn to make more trophy fish. Some hot spots have already been mentioned that should steer you in the right direction. Think deep, cold, and lots of forage.....

Best of Luck!

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by T11R17 View Post
    Crosswind Lake would be my first suggestion, hands down. Second would be Fielding Lake. Third would be Paxon Lake. Fourth would be Lake Louise. And I would use whitefish for bait, as well, when allowed to do so.

I second the whitefish as well. I run a down rigger with a set of cow bells and a 3 hook rig with a 14 to 18 inch whitefish for jumbo lakers. I have boated lakers to 50# using this technique and during poor weather when they are finicky it will out fish lures 10+ to 1. I'm not sure about the legality of it there but if you are allowed try a grayling instead of a whitefish. I have seen it done a couple of times in Canada and they are barely allowed to get wet before being eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    produces some nice lakers from what i hear. summit, paxson, louise, all have lakers and about anyone would think that louise will produce the next record fish. is the tanana runnable up there yet? goodpaster?
    Tannana is runnable, im not sure on the Goodpaster yet

Thanks for all tips so far everyone,

kenai/ skilak lake must have huge fish, so must the lakes in bristol bay
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    Mirror Lake?
    Welcome to the forums.

What kind of reply is that? Is that a suggestion from you? There are a lot of mirror lakes in AK.

I like the pic of the bunch of clients with the silvers. You took the pic at one of my favorite little su holes.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Needs to be over the current 47 pound fish from Clarence Lake. Somewhere around 42 - 46 inches long, I would believe.

IMO - Any of the big known lakes could produce a fish of this size. Big deep water, lots of food, and time to grow (low pressure).

Several people have mentioned Lake Louise. From what I have heard, it had alot of pressure on it in the 80's and 90's which led to the current 1 per day one in possession 24" regulation. I have only heard of fish in the low 20 pound class that have been caught there. A record would be double that size. Where are the 30 and low 40 pound fish? There should be a few of them caught.

If I were to target a record laker, I would look at places that are not easily accessed, have at least one deep hole and huge amounts of food. All of these could make them even more tight lipped than normal.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

What tackle would be strong enough to get a fish that size to the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    What tackle would be strong enough to get a fish that size to the boat?

I use flipping sticks with 20#-30# line for fish up into the 60#+ range.
    It's not like they have current or blow downs they can use to escape as they are open water fish.

Trouts like this Canadian one eh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

What kind of reply is that? Is that a suggestion from you? There are a lot of mirror lakes in AK.

I like the pic of the bunch of clients with the silvers. You took the pic at one of my favorite little su holes.
    I was trying to be funny, thinkin about the teeny trout in Mirror lake just North of Eagle River, LOL
    And yes, that hole does stack up with Silvers!!!

Mirror lake is closer that is for sure.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

People catch 40 pound and up fish in the yukon on fly rods...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Drifter,
    Thanks, for the pic, Now that is a LAKER!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I use flipping sticks with 20#-30# line for fish up into the 60#+ range.
    It's not like they have current or blow downs they can use to escape as they are open water fish.

Trouts like this Canadian one eh!!!!

Sweet fish!

I would assume that you have seen them follow a lure all the way to the boat and flat out refuse to hit it. What are you doing when that happens? With a pike you can sometimes get then to bite by doing figure eights.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Sweet fish!

I would assume that you have seen them follow a lure all the way to the boat and flat out refuse to hit it. What are you doing when that happens? With a pike you can sometimes get then to bite by doing figure eights.

Throw them a jig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast