Thread: Upcoming Trip to Anchorage in June

Default Upcoming Trip to Anchorage in June

I will be visiting Anchorage on business 6/19 to 6/22. Being an avid California fisherman, I would like to do some salmon fishing on June 20th in the early morning or after 6PM, as I have commitments from Noon to 6PM. Another possibility would be after 6PM on June 22nd. I want to fill my freezer!! I don't know what options there are or how 24hr daylight impacts everyones schedule, but I'd be glad to share costs, hire a guide, or am flexible.....I just want to do some fishing. All responses greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in CA View Post
    I will be visiting Anchorage on business 6/19 to 6/22. Being an avid California fisherman, I would like to do some salmon fishing on June 20th in the early morning or after 6PM, as I have commitments from Noon to 6PM. Another possibility would be after 6PM on June 22nd. I want to fill my freezer!! I don't know what options there are or how 24hr daylight impacts everyones schedule, but I'd be glad to share costs, hire a guide, or am flexible.....I just want to do some fishing. All responses greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark
    Call this guy!

http://www.akurbanangler.com/

Default June fishing

You have a tough order, but very doable!. From Anchorage, you can find kings in and around the Anchorage area (Ship Creek, Eklutina and so on). Also look at some of the Valley streams (I don't know the regs for those areas, so be sure to get a supplement or visit the Alaska Department of Fish and Game site and review the regs). On the Kenai, the Russian should be producing sockeye quite regularly by then, there will also be some sockeye on the lower kenai but very slow. The kings will be in the lower kenai, indeed the early run will be close to the peak. Best way to target the early run kings is with a guide, however with your time limits it will be exceedingly difficult because guides can only fish from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. There are definitely options... bank fishing at Centennial Campground is reasonably productive for early run kings. But further down the Peninsula is the Kasilof River (roughly 3 hours from Anchorage). If you hit the tide just right, it can be very productive. Again, check the regs for native vs. hatchery days.

I can't say if you will "fill" the freezer, but you should be able to connect with something during your stay.

Good luck

Default Thanks yOgee!

...for the referral!

Mark in California-
    June 20 fishing on Ship Creek in Anchorage should be good for kings. That said, it's one king a day in most of Southcentral Alaska with a 5 king total for the season. If you're stuck in Anchorage, then it is going to be hard to fill the freezer with the limited number of kings you can catch.

jim

Thumbs up Hey Mark

Give Jim a call. It is a good king stream in downtown, close, reasonable, and you have a good chance at getting a king. I really dont think your gonna do any better on such short time anywhere in south central. You might on the kenai but the time driving and stress and rushing is not worth it. Get ahold of jim, get your king on ship creek with a picture of the anchorage skyline beind you, then share the picture with us. Take a chance and fish ship, take your time, relax and get a hog. Either way it is a time thing for you and this could be a great trip for your schedule. Just my 1/2 cent worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default The Urban Angler...

I second that recommendation.

You'll get one of the finest in town...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"