Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GNG - Can't give prices over the phone?

Default GNG - Can't give prices over the phone?

I called Great Northern Guns to ask their price on an XD Service model and the gentleman said he couldn't give prices over the phone. I already checked the gun out at Sportsmans Warehouse and just wanted to know the price without having to drive over there. if I wasted gas and found out the gun was more there that would be annoying. Any idea why they wouldn't tell me the $?

The BX and Sportsman's Warehouse both gave me phone quotes...
    Last edited by daveit; 05-14-2008 at 13:13. Reason: addtl info

Yea, because they were most likely higher than other prices in town. But its there own business and they can run it as they see fit. My experience is they are usually the highest priced in Anchorage to buy from, followed by the BX.
    Tennessee

They did that to me too when I was shopping for a G20.

It ended up being one of the more expensive places in town. Try Boondocks maybe?

Jon

Default highest?

Actually, GNG has some very good prices for a small store. It just depends on what you are looking for. They have the best prices, for example, on Springfield Armory XD models and their prices on glocks are pretty good too. In fact, they rarely ever charge full retail on most standard production guns. That being said, their customer/salesman relations can sometimes leave something to be desired. Their reason for not giving prices over the phone seems to be that they would rather have the customer come in rather then deal on the phone. When I worked there, though, I would usually give the price. Physical condition has caused me to leave their employ, but if I could work there in future, I'd certainly do it. They've been there 40 years and have one of the best bunch of unique and antique guns in the state. Meaning no disrespect, but if price alone is the major factor, you can always find a gripe.

It's not that they couldn't give prices over the phone, it's that they WON'T give prices over the phone. I like GNG and have purchased a very pricey pistol from them in the past. They really spent a lot of time with me learning about my purchase. I could have saved money getting the gun over the net, but I pruchased from them instead because of all the help they gave me. They are very knowledgeable and nice guys. I only buy from them occasionally though. Their prices are on the high side.

If I already know what I want I just go with the lowest price on town. Be it GNG, Walmart, Gun Runners, etc...

Boondocks has decent prices on rifles and handguns, there scopes prices are a bit much though. I bought an XD45c for around $500 and an XD9sc for $460, both where the best deals I could find around town at the time.

With some shops around town it makes me wonder if they were sniffing too much Hoppe's #9 when labeling the price.

To add to what Mauserboy had to say. If you buy a gun from a reputable private shop then more than likely they are going to take care of you down the road. They take pride in their business and reputation is everything. However all of the Wally World sell everything stores that also happen to sell guns usually have some guy behind the counter trying to talk guns when just last week he was stamping numbers on pork & bean cans at the local grocery store.

Besides I'd rather support the guy that owns his own shop cuz you know his heart is in it rather than the Waltons and their clones! Even if it means I gotta pay more for the gun!

Default Yeah, but

Yeah, but being in the military and the fact that I'm only going to be here for 1 more year that doesn't matter that much to me. From what I've read Springfield takes care of any issues that come up. I just wanted to know the price without having to drive all the way over there to maybe find out it costs $40 more or something like that.

I think you're looking at it wrong.

They won't give prices because it takes them out of the picture if they are higher. They want you to come in and see it and talk with them about the gun. Call them back and ask if they will sell it for $10 under your SW/Wammart/Freddies price. at least that way they have a shot at your business. They are a small privately owned shop, not some big box, big showroom, big purchasing power conglomerate. GNG is a small business that is willing to work for your business with good customer service.

If you don't care about the little guy, and nothing matters to you except the lowest price in town, then you are definately a Walmartian or an SW Warrior or whatever. You then become part of what is wrong with this country and fully endorse importing everything from third world countries and buying it as cheaply as possible at you local Walmart/SW/FM/etc and putting American out of work. Other than that; get all you can, can all you get, sit on the can and poison the rest!

I will pay 100 American dollars more for a gun bought from a local small business that cares about their customers and their country, stands behind their product and believes in their customers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You know me well...

Well, the American-owned Base Exchange who gave me a quote over the phone has it for $530. Buying from them gives back to the military community. I support the local community more than most people. I avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible (I buy diapers there for my kid). I don't remember the last time I ate fast food or drank crappy corporate beer.

All I'm saying is gas is $3.98 a gallon. Just tell me a price over the phone so I don't have to drive all the way there (through Lake O/Tudor traffic) to find out that it costs more.

I'll guess I'll call them back and say the BX (which I have read other posts on this forum about that say it is overpriced) has it for $530...can you beat that and see what they say. They won't technically be disclosing the price.

I just didn't see the BFD in telling me the price...I still really don't from reading these posts but oh well...

I get your point!

Quote Originally Posted by daveit View Post
    You know me well...

Well, the American-owned Base Exchange who gave me a quote over the phone has it for $530. Buying from them gives back to the military community. I support the local community more than most people. I avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible (I buy diapers there for my kid). I don't remember the last time I ate fast food or drank crappy corporate beer.

All I'm saying is gas is $3.98 a gallon. Just tell me a price over the phone so I don't have to drive all the way there (through Lake O/Tudor traffic) to find out that it costs more.

I'll guess I'll call them back and say the BX (which I have read other posts on this forum about that say it is overpriced) has it for $530...can you beat that and see what they say. They won't technically be disclosing the price.

I just didn't see the BFD in telling me the price...I still really don't from reading these posts but oh well...

Gottcha! The BX is not Wally World so I'd buy there though I don't really know how they are structured. And I gottcha about the gas prices, no doubt. I just never resist driving down to a gun shop to look around......of course I've never paid this armed robbery price for gasoline before either. I don't see it as a big deal either over the phone pricing, if he would begin his sales pitch first, maybe he would get by with that. Hurrah for Walmart and their diaper prices. Tha'r is about the way I look at McDonalds. I don't eat there but ever time I pass those golden arches it reminds me I need to pee so in to McDee's I go, then back on the road. I'm glad they are there, it's a convenient place to take a leak.

I would think GNG would be receptive to a little horse trading, there is nothing wrong with them knocking off a little of their price for a military man, anyway.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy is right.
    GNG always claims to support the military. Wouldn't hurt to ask if they give a military discount!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I believe there's another reason they don't give prices over the phone. They know that SW and other stores will match prices. The sales guy has to call the competition to verify the claimed price. If they have a policy of not giving prices over the phone, the price can't be verified and won't be matched. So, they're hoping the customer will leave the other store and buy from them at the lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think you're looking at it wrong.

They won't give prices because it takes them out of the picture if they are higher. They want you to come in and see it and talk with them about the gun. Call them back and ask if they will sell it for $10 under your SW/Wammart/Freddies price. at least that way they have a shot at your business. They are a small privately owned shop, not some big box, big showroom, big purchasing power conglomerate. GNG is a small business that is willing to work for your business with good customer service.

If you don't care about the little guy, and nothing matters to you except the lowest price in town, then you are definately a Walmartian or an SW Warrior or whatever. You then become part of what is wrong with this country and fully endorse importing everything from third world countries and buying it as cheaply as possible at you local Walmart/SW/FM/etc and putting American out of work. Other than that; get all you can, can all you get, sit on the can and poison the rest!

I will pay 100 American dollars more for a gun bought from a local small business that cares about their customers and their country, stands behind their product and believes in their customers.
    If GNG has what I want I buy there. I've been a customer there since I was a kid (over 30 years). Now my daughter shops there. They REALLY take care of loyal customers to include prices. Additionally being a small business they can't afford to have someone who just answers the phone. The place is normally busy for a reason and every phone call takes someone away from a customer waiting at the counter.
    And it is fun to just go in have a cup of coffee and look around.

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    If GNG has what I want I buy there. I've been a customer there since I was a kid (over 30 years). Now my daughter shops there. They REALLY take care of loyal customers to include prices. Additionally being a small business they can't afford to have someone who just answers the phone. The place is normally busy for a reason and every phone call takes someone away from a customer waiting at the counter.
    And it is fun to just go in have a cup of coffee and look around.

I'm sure your right about the phone. My kind of place. I like that shop, I go there everytime I'm in town. They do take care of their customers and it is a great place to just hang out and look over merchandise. I've been in there when they have this annual banquet for their customers, I think it's Christmas or New Years time frame, plenty of food and good times, it is a great gun shop. And as I've said I'll pay extra for that. I've never bought a gun from SW or Wally's but have bought two from GNG and I don't live down there. Once I went down to get a particular rifle and another time I just bought a used gun off the shelf that I liked after stopping by to look. Every town needs a shop like that.

Thanks for all the info!

Default Another perspective ...I have been going there (GNG)for

for about 20 years, bought a shotgun from them 18 years ago and use to drop by from time to time to window shop and buy bullets, primer etc. up until a few years back when I stopped going because of the attitude of a sales person I had to deal with on several occasions then dropping by...he seemed to be completely indifferent and reluctant to leave his bar stool to be of any help at all...the owner would seem to do anything to help you out, but the sales guy gave me the feeling I was just an interuption to whatever he was doing...I did go by there last week on my way home from work because it was convient for me at the time and this sales guy was very nice , helpful and polite...I bought a case of primers and he told me to be very careful and wear eye protection....I"m 60 years old and have all my fingers and toes, but I thought it was a nice touch....maybe someone said something to him or he has become a happier person. I may go back again to check things out...just another opinion

I have not had that problem in the past from them. Of course when I call and tell them I'm from Petersburg and would like to order such-and-such, they give me the price without much of a problem. They have always treated me right and I stop in the shop whenever I'm in town. Jim

bought a case of primers and he told me to be very careful and wear eye protection....
    LOL I was told the same thing, probably by the same guy, when I bought a box of CCI 300's. And I thought I wasn't the only handloader that stares down the case mouth while seating primers. That's a joke by the way.

Personally, I prefer the small shop in ER. I Just wish Boondocks carried a wider variety of reloading supplies. But I like the place, atmosphere, and they stock trapping supplies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast