Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Morel mushrooms?

Default Morel mushrooms?

Does anyone pick mushrooms (morels is all I know) here in Ak? I heard burn areas are where a guy might find some. Any help appreciated.

I've been picking since I was like 12. Made a lot of money down in WA and OR back in the day. No market here, so now I just pick enough to eat.

Burns=Morels. I never got too into morels, as I used to live on the coast, but have picked a fair share. We would get them right at the snow melt in eastern oregon. If you know of any recent burns in the last year or two, go check them out.

I used to make a killing selling boletes (known as porcini at stores) in western WA. Had some $1000+ days. My brother is currently buying shrooms in La Grande, and said that he might be sent up to Fairbanks soon. He said it all depends on the wildfires.

I didn't even realize they had morels up here. It is big business where I'm from in Iowa. I used to go mushroom "hunting" with my aunts and uncles all the time in the spring when I was young. I wish it would get worm and see if any would pop around here...

Default Been there done that...

Here are just two pic's I have when I went down to the Deshka River to fish,and I ended up picking a few pounds.Now If I had a permit to sell em at the time I would have made out like a bandit.
    Anyhow I gave my one neighbor 2.5 pounds and my other neighbor 2 pounds and I kept the rest which is what you see here.Never been back to pick em tho.Do you think they still grow in the same area's or what?

What habitat should I look for to find morels? What is the best time of year to find them. I have never picked them but I hear they are tasty.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default about now

Usually the best time starts about now (late May) However, it might be off this year as it such a late spring. The other bad thing is we haven' had any rain. Usually find them in dark,damp shady areas, under treed areas where it is undisturbed, along rivers & like someone mentioned anywhere there was a good fire burn the year or two before.

Daniel, I hear & remember that you can go back to the same area for a couple years & then have to move on as the nutruinets need for them to growwill be used up. However I wouldn't think you would have to go far

Oh man those look good!!

Mmmmm....deep fried morels.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Oh man those look good!!

Mmmmm....deep fried morels.....

Speaking of cooking what is your prefered way to prepare them?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

The Caribou Hills burn should be the hot spot for Southcentral AK this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Caribou Hills burn should be the hot spot for Southcentral AK this year.

How do you access the caribou hills area? I know there is a road just not where.

I was thinking Caribou hills as well, early June maybe after I get back from bear hunting. My favorite way to cook them is to cut them in half length wise, flour them and fry in butter (don't tell my Doctor) in my griswold skillet... salt and pepper to taste, garnish with a med rare ribeye... doesn't get much better than that in my world.

Morels are also great to dehydrate. You can then keep them throughout the year and rehydrate them when you're ready to cook with them. My mom usually works feverishly to pick a year's supply each spring. After drying, she ends up with quite the stash.

As for Caribou Hills access, I'm not positive on the name of the road. I'm sure it would be on a map of Southcentral.

I dont remember the exact time frame when I picked mine,but I know it was in June.There where more there,its just that I left the small ones as I heard also you could go back and pick for several years,well I think its been either 2 or this is the third year? Good luck toy uo all who go out.Daniel

Saute lightly in clarified butter with a mild garlic and a sweet onion say a Dalia, then layer over back strap, till ya cant see the meat. (Don't matter what critter, you want tender and accepting of flavor not stand on it's own taste, like say a T bone or porter house, rib eye would work in a pinch too)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default morels will be ready

about the same time that the forget me nots are blooming. I was thinking Caribou Hills also.

Several years back, pickers were having a heyday up by Chena Hot Springs. They had roadside stands set up where the pickers went and sold the shrooms to. Then those guys in turn sold them to distributors and so on. At over $20/lb....well, you can imagine.

I will be heading down to Caribou hills as well....Anchor River next year....

Default haha

reminds me of this movie i seen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaEcHfkNgA

Ray
    Semper Fi!

I never expected to hear of morels in Alaska. When I was a kid, we picked them in Arkansas and southern Missouri.

Beware of the false morel, though. I don't know whether they exist in Alaska, but they are poisonous.

Here is a page with identification information for both the morel and the false morel.

http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels2.shtml

Default some more morel pictures

Some shots of morels here after 2004 fire

i hope they taste good cuase they are some ugly mushrooms!
    Semper Fi!

morels in southcentral should come on in the next week or two. as for taste, they,re about as good as it gets. try pricing them dried.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast