Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Experiment on Discovery

Default Alaska Experiment on Discovery

Does anyone know how the producers of this show got away with breaking so many fish and games laws on TV? Catching fish with their hands, non residents dip netting, shooting at bison with a chipmunk .22, etc....

there living off the land they would die i mean come on you are aloud to do anything to survive
    Ron Paul 2008 RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION

TRY JESUS

ILY

Default no excuse

I caught part of a episode last night. at the begginng of the show they have disclaimer saying not to try this and that help was close by if they need it. this is a made for tv simulation. does not excuse not following the law.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_boy View Post
    there living off the land they would die i mean come on you are aloud to do anything to survive
    It isn't a real survival situation. They have a camera crew and paramedics right off camera.

Wondering the same thing. Guided mt. goat hunts in a "survival" situation? Illegally catching fish? How do they get away with this? None of this stuff is legal. BTW, they'd all be dead, based on what I have seen.

Tim

I thought the same thing, but then wondered how much of it was just staged for the camera. The .22 lr vs bison specifically.

Who knows.

Its an entertaining show, but it does raise some questions, as did the Bear Gryles show. I kinda figured they would have learned their lesson after the internet banter over some of the previous legal infractions.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

So far I think the show is good for Alaska and Clause and the cast have done a better job of painting hunting in a positive light than any prime time hunting pseudo-outdoors show on the tube has lately. I can't believe they are 2 for 2 on goats and a big opher on moose! Much of the bear stuff is overstated though not all together wrong I guess, in as much as there is "technically" proof of those things happening. It just isn't something I run around worrying about. I just prepare untill it is a way of life. I guess if they don't portray a bear behind every tree then people won't watch or perhaps they are trying to paint a picture of danger to quell the anti's.

and the whole "90 seconds and your hypothermic, then its lights out" thing....
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ...Much of the bear stuff is overstated...
    Only caught the first one and I think I must've heard "Bear" 100 times. There are roughly 300 grizzly bears within the entire boundaries of DNP which is larger than the state of Massachusetts. I realize one must be prepared but to portray blood-thirsty bears around every corner gets annoying... (Hey 600th post!)

Default I want to play

I just want to know where I can sign up for season 2 and get a 10K goat hunt for free

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I just want to know where I can sign up for season 2 and get a 10K goat hunt for free
    I know what you mean !

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Does anyone know how the producers of this show got away with breaking so many fish and games laws on TV? Catching fish with their hands, non residents dip netting, shooting at bison with a chipmunk .22, etc....
    At one point in the show the host said it was illegal for a nonresident to hunt in Alaska without a Guide. Well that all depends on what your hunting! But he didn't say that. hunting Moose without a Guide is still legal for nonresidents,
    And hunting with an assistant guide with out the master guide, on a goat hunt is NOT!
    I love that one!!!

I have sent ADF&G emails about this show wanting to know how many citations have bin issued after they aired this show and i have not gotten a reply.

lets just say this show was made by Dip****s, filming Dip****s, for Dip****s! I just hope ADF&G dose not follow the Dip****s and do nothing about it and send the mesage that its ok to be a Dip**** in Alaska!!!

“Life is tough. It’s even tougher when you’re stupid.”
    --John Wayne

Talking

Remember, as the Donner Party demonstrated, cannibalism is one of the most efficient ways to survive. Given limited food and enegy, killing the people close to you, and eating them, provides the highest ratio of food to time and energy expended.

Anybody else like the "moose" gunts in responses to their calling? Apparently a real moose grunt isn't exciting enough for tv.

Default Moose hunting in Icy Bay

I am glad the Alaskan contingent recognized the Goat/Moose Dichotomy.

Claus has a guiding area in 11 in WSTE National Preserve. Goats were shot off of MacColl Ridge. Icy Bay where the coastal people are is a national park. I wonder why they didn't get a moose?

The shot at the bison was no where near it but they could get in trouble for "molesting" the bison.

I do wonder about the younger Claus age. I suspect he might not be 18 years old and functioning as an assistant guide. I don't know but I am pretty sure that he isn't very old.

I think that they can get by on the fishing thing.

I am sure that Park Service work close with Claus and film crew.

What I find interesting is that I saw the Chitina Valley crew come into Chitina National Airport last Fall.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Based on what Ive seen so far, there all going to starve to death.
    Placed in a out door situation too late in the year to gather the necessary food and fuel with no experience....yep there all going to die.

I would to see ADFG's reply to F/V Riverrat's E-mail after my buddies 94 yearold father was sited for flossing a sockeye last year.

Glad to see the 3 yuppies in the cabin reduced to eating carrion, that’s what I call a real learning experience.

A note to the father and two daughters…. eat the fat one, she’s a pain in the butt anyway.

TL

Smile

Jay is 19. Who cares it is entertainment. quit trying to find every little thing wrong with the show and just enjoy it. You sound like a bunch of old women. Like paul would do anything on national television to harm his business. I am certain anything that was done was with permission for the show. I don't remember the guy taking a shot at the bison I thought he just aimed at it.I will have to rewatch. Besides all that I haven't seen them do anything I would run to the cops about.

Default Behind the scenes...

I've only watched a couple episodes after hearing a lunchroom conversation about the show a few weeks back. I didn't find the show that entertaining and probably won't watch again. That said, one of the episodes I did see was the one with the bison and he did NOT shoot at it with the 22. He pointed and made a child-like "pow" sound, followed by saying that there's no way he could take the bison with that gun.

Having worked with a film crew in Alaska before, I can assure you that they have a team of PR folks who have contacted every government agency and secured all needed permits and waivers to do the show. Some activities that may seem to be in violation of normal regulations are most likely being done under special wavier from the controlling agency. They do issue special permits for unique circumstances, such as research and film work. In addition, everyone appearing on the show was certainly made to purchase (or the production company purchased for them) hunting-fishing-trapping licenses and you can bet that in addition to the EMT and "survival expert", there is a registered guide off camera so that they comply with those regulations as well.

For those of you ticked off at the show, rest assured, there will be no citations issued. Just smile and move on... there's nothing to see here.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hiking 20+ miles to go see your neighbors ???

They're all gonna die ! LOLOLOL

Cool What!!!

I wish i could turn the other way and say its no big deal, But this show is giving the wrong message. We in the know ,Know better. Some of us hear, my self included depend on the law to inform and uphold the integrity of our states wildlife and resources. What some of us feel are the only way to ensure Alaska future as the last fronter!

It has bin said hear
    "
    JOAT" I can assure you that they have a team of PR folks who have contacted every government agency and secured all needed permits and waivers to do the show.
    I bet that statement has some truth to it, But we as viewers wear not told that this was a special wavier
    deal, that was fabricated for TV . "
    dan g" Like paul would do anything on national television to harm his business.
    No but I bet he would do anything to get better ratings like braking the law that WE Alaskan have to live by.
    "JOAT" Some activities that may seem to be in violation of normal regulations
    dan g Jay is 19. Who cares it is entertainment.
    All of the thing that have bin pointed out are illegal and punishable with hefty fines and or imprisonment. If you walk out your door and try to get away with just one of the thing that have bin pointed out, your going to Jail! And thats just the way it is for you and I.
    WE Alaskans cant get permits and waivers to do
    theses thing so naturally its going to raise some eyebrows.
    I respect Alaskans I have lived all over this Country, and I am proud to say I am Alaskan. It by all definition sets us apart from the rest of the USA. WE live a reality life stile, WE work harder and stretch our limits farther then the rest. WE go about our day knowing that if WE are careless and don't pay attention, theres a vary high probability that we could die and or kill the ones with us. Most of us don't take living in Alaska lightly. Its plain as day if you ignore Her, sooner than later She's going to bite you in the ass!!!

Lets just say this show was made by Dip****s, filming Dip****s, for Dip****s! I just hope ADF&G dose not follow the Dip****s and do nothing about it and send the mesage that its ok to be a Dip**** in Alaska!!!

“Life is tough. It’s even tougher when you’re stupid.”
    --John Wayne

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast