Thread: Jigging rod for halibut

Default Jigging rod for halibut

What are the most important attributes to look for in a rod that will be used for jigging halibut?

Parameters: Jigs will be 4-10 oz.; fishing depth up to 200 ft; size of halibut would be standard for Northern SE inside waters - vast majority 12-60 lbs.

I think a lot is personal preferencem and I like a light tackle rod. Check out the Shimano Trevela Jigging rods which are great for Halibut and Ling cod. They come in several sizes (5'8" - 7'), with plenty of back bone for such a light weight rod. A good value for $100 dollars.
    Line weights
    10 - 30
    20 -50
    30 - 80
    50 - 100
    65- 200
    80 - 200

Default Diawa

Also look at the Diawa Saltiga rods, 20-60lb test, med. action, 5'11".
    B&J's sells 'em for $122- and Cabelas for $99- I think.
    BK

Thanks for the tips on brands and models. I've got a pretty good idea on who sells what in jigging rods: Diawa Saltiga; Shimano Trevala, Penn Torque; etc.

But what I'm wondering about are the characteristics of a good jigging rod. In other words, when manufacturers make a "jig rod" how are these rods different than, say, a stand-up rod, or a bare-bones boat rod? And which of those special jig rod characteristics would most appropriately apply to halibut fishing in N. Southeast Alaska?

Default Get a stiff rod!

Get something with good backbone. If you can't get a good hookset, you'll lose tons of fish (obviously). But something about 6' and fairly stiff. Dont put Monofilament on either. Put a braided line.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I agree with Pike. You need a rod with a good back bone. Once a fish hits the jig you will need a good rod the can drive that jig home.
    I jig for ling and halibut all the time. I prefer a 5'7 rod. I like to short rod.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

In my experience it's not finesse game and it really depends how much you're gonna use the rod. I have an inexpensive shakespeare combo set with a decent back bone and although it's not the fanciest rig I've seen it certainly gets the job done for even a week or two out of the year that I might be some place using it.

The wheel guides can be nice for dropping the weights at high speed, better for the guides. Also the multi speed reels that crank at a different ratio when you push the button are great for checking bait but you will pay a few hundred for those right off the start.

Just ask how much you'll use a halibut rod. For rock fish and ling cod I use my king and silver gear so I would say consider this an exclusive halibut rod when you're adding up how often it will wet a line.
    River Runnin

Thats All I Do Here On Our Charters....jigging Is All We Do....super Light Rods With Lots Of Backbone...

Whenever you decide what rod characteristics you are looking for let me know and we can build you taht rod for a great price. often cheaper than anything on the market with better components. Also it will be a one of a kind with a lifetime warranty.
    Contact August @ akhydro@gmail.com
    or visit www.akhydro.com

Can you make 5'5 Jigging for halibut and lings ?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Seeker has some nice jigging rods for that purpose, sensitive tip and plenty of backbone. I can't see the advantage of the 5 1/2' boat rods for that purpose, and I have used a traditional but rod for jigging.

My thoughts on the advantages of the lighter 7' jigging rods. You don't have to move the rod as much for the same movement of the jig, this keeps from wearing you out. Assuming you're using braided line, there just isn't much give in the short rods, and that puts more strain on everything. A longer rod has more material to flex and hence can take the strain better.

Paul, some people like the longer rods and other like me like the short ones. For me, I feel like I have better control of my jig.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I Have A 4-8'' Jigging Rod That Is Rated 30 To 180 That Is A Insane Power House That Is Light Enough For 4 Ounce Jigs To 30 Ounce Jigs...

i am with boneyardbaits i have used his rods last year and the shorter rods have the leverage hence less stress on the back that will wear you out.check out the 660h super seeker rod it is killer and light and will take the abuse

Default Choices................

I use a 6' 5" G Loomis Bucara rod. They make one called the Muskie Rod that is similar and cheaper. This winter I picked up a pair of 5' 8" Shimano Trevela rods. I prefer drift fishing with 50 lb. spectra on the reels. We have a pair of Daiwa Interline rods that are 5' 6" and they work for jigs. These jigging set ups are fun to fish with. When we are chasing a freezer full of halibut here in South Central we anchor up, get the big halibut rods with 2 speed reels out and pull in meat for the freezer.