Thread: Brown Bear in the Yukon Training Area?

Default Brown Bear in the Yukon Training Area?

Has anyone shot a Brown Bear in the YTA? I was out last weekend and saw some tracks that were about 2in. larger than my size 12 boot. I don't think Black bears get that big. The track for the front paw the pad was sunken in about 3-4 inches. Thats a pretty good sized bear I would say.

My first grizzly killed in 1971 when I was a young Sargent was shot off Brigidear road. Seen more than a few come out of there, but they are educated and know to stay out of sight. Too many people in the area.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Caution

Quote Originally Posted by jwilmes View Post
    Has anyone shot a Brown Bear in the YTA? I was out last weekend and saw some tracks that were about 2in. larger than my size 12 boot. I don't think Black bears get that big. The track for the front paw the pad was sunken in about 3-4 inches. Thats a pretty good sized bear I would say.
    I would recommend caution. There are a lot of dudes baiting out there this year, and if it's "influenced by bait" the brown shirts could nab you... not that you know where all the baits are set (there is another thread discussing that topic). I've seen lots of girzz out there, and quite a few large sows with cubs this year.

Fuse

Default thanks

So if I am not aware of any of the bait stations how am I going to get in trouble. I thought if you know where the stations are then you can't hunt within a mile right?

Default It's weird but...

The back of the Black Bear Bait Station registration states. It is illegal to take a Brown Bear if you know or should have known that the bear was influenced by bait. Now ain't that vague?

What if you aren't baiting black bears and don't have one of those registaration cards from AD&G? I know this post only adds to your confusion... It baffles me too.

Good luck buddy!

Default confusing

Yeah that is very confusing. Where I hunt I haven't seen any bait stations. It doesn't mean that there arent any there or in the area. I will look around a little more next time I'm out.

All the bait sites are marked, they have a master chart, check with hunt control on post. Most of the YTA will be closed during the season. We have a bait site out there. Not hits yets, it was in June last year when it got hot. Yes there are a lot of Grizzly, so becareful. With the training and the new locked gates it is just about not worth it.

Steve