Thread: New State Record Bear Bait...

Thumbs down New State Record Bear Bait...

It is true! Last night I checked my bait and I had visitors, of the human kind. 20.......yes 20.......yards from my barrel, that has to be a new state record!!!!. They never scouted the trail they dicided to hunt over. I couldnt belive It. I have only been there a couple of years, and I scouted for three months to find a place were I wasn't on top of poeple. I have had my bait out for two weeks now, just so somone wouldn squat on my spot.

I am going to provide pictures and hopefully someone can help find the person. I am not mad, YET as I understand how difficult it can be to find a place away from people near town. However, what they did is highly unethical.

I am baiting in the white mountains off of the Elliot highway. The stand was just put in over the last 6 days. If it is yours please IM me and I will ask to have the thread deleted and I wil even help you take it down.

Can I call fish and game the guys # and have them call or let me call?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you were there before them then I would contact F&G and see what can be done about it. You might also be able to find out if they have baited that area before, maybe you intruded on their area. Not pointing fingers here, you just want to make sure all your bases are covered. Good luck.

Default no way I intruded.

I started the trail they are baiting on top of two years ago. I am contacting Fish and Game because this should fall under the regulation that states no one can Intenionaly obstuct your bait station or your ability to harvest an animal. I am not saying they did it intentionaly however not walking around to check an area and just throwing up a stand is negligence. What if there was a cabin on the trail?

My goal is not to get into a pissing contest like others in the past, I just want to give them an opertunity to remove it. I was hoping it was someone on the Forum.

Yeah, that is a big no no.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Do they have bait out or are they using yours? If they are using your bait that would have to obtain written permission from you in order to be legal. If they have bait out they have to have their permit posted which has their hunting license number on it other wise it is not a legal. I would contact F&G.

I'll give ya $50 for that stand.

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    Do they have bait out or are they using yours? If they are using your bait that would have to obtain written permission from you in order to be legal. If they have bait out they have to have their permit posted which has their hunting license number on it other wise it is not a legal. I would contact F&G.
    Hey, I got it. They have there own bait, and yes I have there hunting license number. However, I am unsure if fish and game will give me there number. They just didn't go down the trail the 20 yards to see my bait.

Thumbs down ?? Adf&g

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    Hey, I got it. They have there own bait, and yes I have there hunting license number. However, I am unsure if fish and game will give me there number. They just didn't go down the trail the 20 yards to see my bait.
    You know... last time I checked this IS the 21st century.
    When I registered my 2008 bait station on 1 April, they asked for my GPS coords.
    I asked the tech to check and see if my station is near any other registered sites... he checked, said, Nope. You're the only one.

If they have a legal permit... you would sure hope that F&G would say, uh, hey, it appears there is another guy close to these coords... you might want to look around before you start baiting.

Now, not looking in a 20 yard perimeter is just plain lazy.

Leave a friendly note on there stand. I did this several years ago. I had a group of guys put there stand right in the middle of the path that I take to get to my station. I could not go around. Also they were within the quarter mile rule. I also told them this. To make it worse they had meat out there. I told them about the grizzlies in that area and epically one sow that me and her had a love hate relationship with. They called me and we talked for a while. They were new to baiting and were sorry if they caused any problems. They moved to a different locations.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you don't mind my asking, what unit is your stand in?

Last year I had two guys try and kick me off mine. And when I didn't leave, they came and hunted it while I was gone. I pulled up to where I park one night and there is their truck. Found shells at the bottom of my stand and my ladder was knocked over. Amazing how rude some people are.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

As I understand it....GPS coords are only needed for the predator control program and not for a regular season bait station which only requires a written description to as close as to where you think you are.

Default GPS

Quote Originally Posted by terbear747 View Post
    As I understand it....GPS coords are only needed for the predator control program and not for a regular season bait station which only requires a written description to as close as to where you think you are.
    Couple years ago, I tried to give the 'physical description' of my site... I got my permit, but also got the funny eyebrow and, "we'll... the local trooper might have some questions for you... "

So I started giving GPS coord's.

Saw somewhere that "very detailed description is required... GPS coords are preferred." Can't find where I read it though.

Default sorry...

The stand isnt for sale...yet. Fish and game said they would do nothing about even though I have to go under his stand to get to mine. We will see...I think I have an idea who it may be. I left a note carved in wood (forgot a pen). I feel like it is my fault I was going to put a note at the trail head that said "numerous bait staions on this trail, caution". because there are already four or five on the five mile trail. I will be civil with him and help him move it if need be. I will be out there this weekend to see if he visited.

Also I am in 20b

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    The stand isnt for sale...yet. Fish and game said they would do nothing about even though I have to go under his stand to get to mine. We will see...I think I have an idea who it may be. I left a note carved in wood (forgot a pen). I feel like it is my fault I was going to put a note at the trail head that said "numerous bait staions on this trail, caution". because there are already four or five on the five mile trail. I will be civil with him and help him move it if need be. I will be out there this weekend to see if he visited.

Also I am in 20b

ya it is still BS since you actually covered your trail as to no trace to the bait station... as should be... since I know where your bait station is and the conditions of it..... that idiot should move his barrel for being irresponsible in scouting... it not hard to do a 500 yard sweep and look for other bait stations....

I personally would be a ***** about it but you are handling it very well.. I dont have that much patience with stupid people... as to one of the reasons I have not decided to bait...

Default There is more room

Alaska is a grand state that has a lot to offer. I have to believe that there is more than one good spot to place a bear bait. I have not worked at it all that hard and have achieved great success. However, on another note there are areas that are very congested. If you are presented with the opportunity to meet this person whom you have had this problem with they might need some guidance. We hunters are a small fraction of the population 10-12% in Ak!!!. We need to help each other. This person wants to hunt bears and does not know the first thing about it obvoiusly. What a great chance to make another HUNTER. A little creativity goes a long way. I have lived in the greater Anch area 36 yrs and can be in my stand in 2 hrs (not airplane) and last year I had over 75 different bears in the bait. It is simply a matter of making the best of what you can do, and being flexible. There are lots of bears for the taking, but do not make hunting/baiting into a negitave experience or it will be gone look at the Lower 48.
    Pick A Spot