Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun for Moose hunt????

Default Gun for Moose hunt????

I am planning my first moose hunt for 2009. I can't make up my mind between a 300 win mag, 300 wsm, 338 or a 325 wsm. Can anyone help me with this? Biggest gun I currently own is a winchester 270 and have been told that is on the small side for moose. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions for bullet type?

Pic one all will kill a moose. Even the 270. I know a lady that killed a rather large moose with a 270. Not an idel choice for me.Big question is what else you plan on hunting and what loads you want shoot in it.I look at a heart lung shot on moose. So it's not like you need to break bone,except ribs. Moose don't recover from a sucking chest wounds ever!
    Shoot a moose in the shoulder and your just wasting food!

Default More Details...

What part of Alaska will you be hunting, and are you hunting with other hunters or with a guide?

A .270 is plenty for moose as long as you:
    - use a strong bullet (Nosler partition, Barnes X, etc)
    - don't shoot at excessive range (if I was using a .270 I'd try to get within 200 yards)
    - MAKE A GOOD SHOT into the heart/lung area

If you're also hunting bear, or want a bigger gun in bear country, I can understand that, but a .270 will kill a moose no problem in skilled hands with a good bullet!

Of course, if you want a bigger gun just BECAUSE, I can relate to that! In that case, I'd say go with the .338, just because I have one.

PM me if you want and give me more details, I live just below you in Maryland, was born in Alaska and go up every fall to hunt moose or caribou.

Michael

Default 338

please dont bring the 270!! any of the 300 will work fine the 338 or 325 are better IF you can shoot them. remember you will have a limited number of days to hunt moose and it will cost you more than the locals, what if you see a good bull at 300 yards and cant get closer?? i have been guideing for a few years now and have seen guys from the lower 48 have trouble with the 270. moose dont recover from sucking chest wounds??? not sure about that we know now that deer can and do at times, how many deer have been killed with a broadhead through the lungs?? ive seen pictures of a few, early in the season when moose are fat it could happen!!

Default .270 just fine

Moose camp 6 years ago 12 year old girl shot a nice bull with a .270. They are plenty good, unless you're trying to convince your wife that you need another gun...then I'd go with the 300wm if your just getting a regular old rifle...if you're getting a Kimber Montana or Remington Alaska Ti or something else like that, get the new 300wsm - be sure to buy the Leoupold Ultra-Light scope.

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    unless you're trying to convince your wife that you need another gun
    That is the best way to get a new rifle in my house, and it works wonders.

A .270 will work just fine if you are good with it. I am in the mindset of bullet placement over cal size. Just like mdhunter stated "use a strong bullet (Nosler partition, Barnes X, etc)
    "

Default plus one for the .270

My family has taken 3 moose, a black bear, and a caribou with a .270. Not a single one went more than 20 yards and fell over dead. All heart/lung shots. 270 is big enough for a moose. I suggest you bring the largest caliber gun you can consistantly shoot comfortably. If you can shoot two boxes of bullets at the range straight-through a .375, then go buy a .375.

Default 270

I'm suprised so many people use 270 for moose. With me not knowing much about moose hunting I was under the assumption a 270 was too small and thats why I was looking into the others. I'll probably still keep checking into the others since my wife still is thinking I am needing a new gun. I really don't know anything about the bigger guns though. I don't really want something that kicks so hard your jerking the trigger but would like something that will knock a moose down fairly quickly so it wont end up dieing in the water. Heard thats a nightmare. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

There is not a lot of people that use a 270 for hunting moose just a few responded that they know or have used a 270 on a moose .
    I also know a guy that shot and killed a moose with a single shot 22 but I would not bring one of those with you .
    Consider one of the others you have mentioned in your first post , your 338 is very popular here in Alaska .
    When your on your moose hunt you will also be looking out for Bear and if by chance you must protect yourself a 270 would not be my first choice although the great thing about hunting you get to choose what you want .

Anyway my .02 worth .
    What ever you get have a great hunt and hope your stay in Alaska is a great one .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Done it with both.

I shot a moose with a 270...it died, but it walked a ways (80 yards) with three in it's chest and he bedded a bit before he died (15-20 min.). It certainly worked, but I hit him hard with hot handloads and premium bullets...perhaps they were too fast and zipped through, or maybe one of em fragged...either way I was missing an exit hole but never found a bullet.

But it wasn't half as impressive as the next one I got with a 338 with 250 noslers...that one also got two in the chest...and it walked a "little" ways...about 8 feet, and was dead before I walked to him 100 yards away.

This is only two moose of the thousands that are shot each year with varying calibers so do what you will with the info. I'd prefer to have my 338 with me, but I have plenty of faith that the 270 will get it done...but you won't flop it on it's back.

But, then again, if you have the green light on a bigger gun from the wife...this is really a no brainer

A .270 is big enough for my kids to shoot moose with..why not me or you? It's funny how we all start our kids on low recoil rifles and they get the job done well, but we keep shooting the big boomers?

I know plenty of people that shoot moose with .270's and 30-06's. It's more than enough if you keep your shots close and your placement excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A .270 is big enough for my kids to shoot moose with..why not me or you? It's funny how we all start our kids on low recoil rifles and they get the job done well, but we keep shooting the big boomers?

I know plenty of people that shoot moose with .270's and 30-06's. It's more than enough if you keep your shots close and your placement excellent.

I started out with a 30-30 when I was 8 at 11 I was given a 7mm Mag from my Father and used that for a few years .

Nothing is wrong with the 270 BUT if you need that little extra to fend off a Furry Brown Critter I would not want to have the 270 in my paws or I should say the Critters paws .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I carry the 325 but it is a big gamble with the limited availability of factory ammo I like the fantastic ballistics with the 200grn Accubonds. If I was flying in to hunt from out of state I would delete the WSM's from my list, they are too hard to get reliably in the bush. 300 would be good enough but a 338 would cover you for everything AK including the big bears. I know that at least one in three hunters I have met in the bush are carrying a 338 so I might be able to barter for some ammo in a pinch, of cousrse the other 2 are carrying 30-06's but that wasn't on your list

Quote Originally Posted by T.Leo View Post
    I am planning my first moose hunt for 2009. I can't make up my mind between a 300 win mag, 300 wsm, 338 or a 325 wsm. Can anyone help me with this? Biggest gun I currently own is a winchester 270 and have been told that is on the small side for moose. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions for bullet type?

Pfffft............... Lotsa moose get knocked over up here every year with .270s, especially out in the bush.
    That's petty much all my bestest bud uses. He's never lost one and the moose have never noticed it wasn't a magnum.

Mangalums are more common the closer you get to Los Anchorage gravitational influence.

Choose a 150 grain load that you and the rifle can shoot well and you'll do fine.
    Now what ?

Default Yes.............

Put a tough .270 150 grain bullet in the right spot at a reasonable distance and you will have a dead moose. I think the current world record moose was shot with a .270. Friends of mine use them and lots of old timers I knew did also.

Default Go Big for safety

Ranger Rick hit it right on the head. Sure, you can kill a moose with a .270. No doubt.

But here's the bottom line: Nearly anywhere you'll hunt moose in Alaska, you will have the company of brown bears.

When you come across a brownie, would you rather have a .270 or a .338? I hunt caribou with a .375 (because bears hunt caribou, too.)

For me, it's a no brainer. Go big for your own safety.

I have yet to hunt, much less shoot a moose, but I'm planning a hunt for 2010.
    My Father, though, shot a dozen moose over the years. All with a .270 with 130
    grain bullets. Shot placement! These moose were all of the Canadian variety in
    Northwest Ontario. The biggest, a 58 incher from close to 300 yards. I will be using
    the same Win. Model 70, or a 30-06 for my hunt. Any hunter should use what he is
    comfortable with.

Default 375

I'm surprised that whoever usually signs of with "Don"t hunt with a gun big enough for what you are hunting for but big enough for what is hunting you" hasn't chimed in but it's good advice.

My next Alaska moose hunt will be with my 375 Weatherby. I don't trust those "brown furry creatures".

I've witnessed a bull moose keep on trotting along like nothing had hit it with a .375, next shot came from a .22-250 and its head dropped instantly. .375 hit in the boilermaker, .22-250 hit in the head.

My personal choice the past 8 years has been my .300WM with Winchester Supreme CXP3's, 180g. No failures yet.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Wink

Dear T. Leo,
    Sounds like you have a good trip planned. I hope you choose your partner as carefully as you choose your gun. Like guns, many partners will get the job done most of the time but why not go with the one that gets it done every time. Jack O'Connor killed everything under the sun including dangerous game in Africa, with a .270 but I bet he'd tell you to go with the .338. I don't know much about the ballistics on the .325 but if lies somewhere between the .300 and .338 then other than availability of ammo it sounds like a good choice. You'll have the option of heavier bullets than a .300.

I have a friend that killed a bull elk with a .22 once. He would not suggest that but instead is a big fan of the .338. I like my 7 mm Rem Mag for most game but would be taking the .300 Ultra Mag for moose. I don't want them landing in the water either, plus it's stainless/synthetic. A good muzzle brake, like Vias, will tame down the big guns enough for most. Myself recoil doesn't bother me much.

Don't forget bear spray! It can be better than a .338 at times. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast