Thread: Sag River Fly Fishing

Default Sag River Fly Fishing

Hey Everyone,
    Has anyone here ever travelled up north and fly fished the Sag River in Late August for the Sea Run Dollies? If so, what was it like? Did you camp in one place or move around? How was it camping up there? How was the over all??

Default Sag

Quote Originally Posted by T11R17 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Has anyone here ever travelled up north and fly fished the Sag River in Late August for the Sea Run Dollies? If so, what was it like? Did you camp in one place or move around? How was it camping up there? How was the over all??
    August 'might' be a bit early.
    But the grayling fishing is awesome.

I didn't go to fish, specifically. Went for hunting. But it was warm, and the caribou were sitting on the ice fields 50+ miles away from the Dalton.

So, broke out the fly rods.
    Caught lots of grayling. I was using midges and dry flies. My buddy was using a bead head spinner type fly... and catching some really nice grayling off that.
    Since we weren't planning to fish, he only had two of the flies. He caught lotsa big fish... I caught lotsa little fish.
    Neither one of us caught any Dollies/Char.

Camping is good. Be prepared for crazy N. Alaska weather. Hot and sunny to cold and damp. Bugs can be ferocious. Wind can be fierce. And some days you get all the above.

Good luck - have fun!

Talking Heading up this fall...

A buddy and I have plans to head up there 2nd week of September. If anyone has any advice on locations and terminal gear???????

I have been up to Galbraith and Jim River; hoping the Sag has similar fishing results!

Thanks in advance,

Thax

Thanks Stogey, i appreciate the info