Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Amazing

  1. #1

    Default Amazing

    Location:Iliamna Post, Katmai Preserve near Kukaklec Lake
    Case number:08-36071
    Type:SAR
    Text: On 5/12/08 at approximately 0610 hours Soldotna dispatch recieved
    an emergency call via SAT phone that two hunters, Rob Watts, age 39 of
    Arkansas and Kevin Gross, age 46 of California, were stranded in bad
    weather near Kukaklec Lake. The weather was desribed as blowing 60mph
    and blizzard like conditions. They were unsure of the status of their
    guide, Robert Couey, age 48 of Anchorage, who was in a tent nearby.
    They had not heard from him in approximately 20 hours. Watts also said
    that their tents had blown flat. A Prism A-star helicopter with an EMT
    3, from the Pebble Mine Project, transported troopers to the camp
    located at the GPS coordinates provided. Watts, Gross and Couey were all
    located safely inside their tents. The guide, Couey, was unaware that
    his hunters had called for help and was waiting out the storm in his own
    tent. They were all flown to Iliamna where they were checked by medical
    personnel and were released.

  2. #2

    Default Wow

    Thats gonna be an expensive phone call huh?

  3. #3

    Default Lame-0

    REALLY gives credibility to the argument that nonresidents must be guided to hunt bears is a safety issue.


    There has GOT to be more to that story?


  4. #4
    Member ozhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New South Wales, Australia
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Glad I'm not paying for that phone call.

    I agree with AVALANCHE, something doesn't gel.
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

  5. #5
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    No, all the info is there... the 2 schmucks were from Arkansas & California. Did you expect them to actually go outside in the snow and check on their guide? Though it probably would have been a good idea for the GUIDE to have checked on his clients
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  6. #6

    Default

    Can you imagine the grief these guys will face from their buddies when they get home?

  7. #7
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default What!

    AMAZING I think NOT. Expected YES! Flatlanders . But I put blame on the guide for not keeping then calm and not checking on them in over 20 hours. If that is true. I'v been in conditions like that in a tent, and 20 min.. can feel like 20 hours. Kinda surprized that someone on the dispatch end diden't ask to talk to the guide and demand them to go get him.Or at least try to find him. Just how faraway was the guides tent? Come on man it's not rocket science. gota be more to it. Someones not talking

  8. #8
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default ***!

    sounds goofy to me...maybe the guide told them not to leave the sight of their tents for fear of them getting lost in the storm. Who knows!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,289

    Default guides fault

    If the guide wasnt sick or hurt its his fault period!! When you are willing to take 15k to take someone hunting, you are responsible for them from the time they arrive in your camp until they leave. Sounds to me like there is more to the story, either that or this guide was really negligent! Not talking to your hunters for 20 hours! doesnt add up!

  10. #10
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Man, oh man

    What an ugly series of events; would be nice to know the whole story...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mile 102 Glenn Highway
    Posts
    335

    Default

    This is one of those where you never will hear the whole story.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Not all guides are as ethical and responsible as most of you who post on this forum. As for the flat landers -- there are good and bad in all groups. Don't tell me no resident has ever screwed up as bad as those fellows. I still think that "Registered Guide only for Brownie" is about the $$$$. MHO

  13. #13
    Member DMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Whether the guide was responsible or not, you know he had to be madder than hell fire when the troopers started knocking on his door and told him his clients called for help.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1

    Wink more to the story................

    I have read this forum for sometime, and I had to become a member so that I could make a comment. As a 911 dispatcher, I can assure you that when a 911 call comes in emergent or not, and believe me there are more people trying to get directions, or correct phone numbers than real major emergencies......but when something like this happens the dispatcher tries everything before sending out a helo, unless it is obvious that this is the only course of action. It is highly possible that those hunters made the situation with the guide sound more dire than it was. The thing is the dispatcher and the Troopers on the other side of the phone only have as much info as the people who called give them. And there is no way that they are going to take the chance of having 3 people dying, and having that liability. When it comes to this type of call that results in this kind of action, it is no longer the dispatchers decision. These type of decisions follow chain of command, and someone else gave the directive to call a chopper. Fortunately, this one turned out with 3 people safe. For all we know, the guide had checked on the hunters. Remember, they were from out of state. Maybe they had had enough, Alaska may have been more than they could handle, and they cracked and called for help, even after thier guide told them to wait it out and they would be fine. Who knows?, none of us were there. Kudos for the dispatcher, and the Troopers........Public Safety, that is what they do, I am glad the resources are there in case my loved ones get into trouble.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyalaskan View Post
    I have read this forum for sometime, and I had to become a member so that I could make a comment. As a 911 dispatcher, I can assure you that when a 911 call comes in emergent or not, and believe me there are more people trying to get directions, or correct phone numbers than real major emergencies......but when something like this happens the dispatcher tries everything before sending out a helo, unless it is obvious that this is the only course of action. It is highly possible that those hunters made the situation with the guide sound more dire than it was. The thing is the dispatcher and the Troopers on the other side of the phone only have as much info as the people who called give them. And there is no way that they are going to take the chance of having 3 people dying, and having that liability. When it comes to this type of call that results in this kind of action, it is no longer the dispatchers decision. These type of decisions follow chain of command, and someone else gave the directive to call a chopper. Fortunately, this one turned out with 3 people safe. For all we know, the guide had checked on the hunters. Remember, they were from out of state. Maybe they had had enough, Alaska may have been more than they could handle, and they cracked and called for help, even after thier guide told them to wait it out and they would be fine. Who knows?, none of us were there. Kudos for the dispatcher, and the Troopers........Public Safety, that is what they do, I am glad the resources are there in case my loved ones get into trouble.

    Yah OR for all we know the dudes told the dispatcher the last time they saw the guide he was passed out drunk in a snow bank and would not respond to their attempts to wake him?


    Quit making excuses for the guide....or reasoning the clients were weenies and just wanting to go home.

    Thats crap.

    The only thing that we know is this was a guided hunt and guides are responsible for the clients.


  16. #16
    Member Stogey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    561

    Default Knowledge...

    Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    The only thing that we know is this was a guided hunt and guides are responsible for the clients.
    We also know that they were released after being flown back to 'civilization'. So, 'injuries' were either non-existent or very minor.

    My thoughts:
    Average 'guided' brown bear hunt is at LEAST $5k (pretty sure it's closer to $10k).

    So... there's a guide in a tent, in crappy weather, with two clients who have paid him about $10k in fees. And he hasn't talked to them in 20 hours?
    Customer should pay for the helo ride; simply because he needed more batteries for his Game Boy, instead of walking to his guide's tent and see what's what.

    But, the guide fees... yeah, pretty good chance that'll be discussed in front of a judge.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    We also know that they were released after being flown back to 'civilization'. So, 'injuries' were either non-existent or very minor.

    thats true it was in the report


  18. #18
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    If it was blowing that hard...how did an A-Star get in there?

    A couple years ago I was flown out of a remote strip by an air taxi supporting me and a few other clients. I shared the plane ride with an out of state hunter that was being guided. When we struck up a conversation I found out that he was excaping from his guide because the guide went nuts, was halucinating, and was suicidal. I felt really bad for that guide's client. I never did hear how the story ended, but at least the client got out of there.

  19. #19
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,434

    Default

    lol man to be a fly on the wall huh? i've clients get up and walk off without ever saying a word and spot them in my binos a mile or so off, sneaky little things when they want to be, then i've had guys who'd hardly even go outa sight to hit the can.
    All different types, sounds to me like these clients wanted to get out and found a way to do it...several different ideas...might notta been 20 hours..might just been over night, chances are they didn't check with the guide cause they wanted out, not to be talked into waiting it out...guide wasn't thinking/conscience...clients and guide didn't get along so they didn't talk much, mighta been how they had it worked out. scared. lots of different ideas and possible ways it coulda gone down. Guide was probably just hanging out thinking it was just another normal day on the pen and the clients probably thought they were in katrina and freaked...who knows...kinda humorous to read though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  20. #20
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Wonder what that guide thought when that A-Star can whoppin' in

    See, Pebble Mine might not be such a bad thing afterall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •