Thread: Pictures of Mystery River :D

Default Pictures of Mystery River :D

Whelenator and I had a great trip on Saturday. The sun was out, the tides were just right, and the crystal clear water washed away any stress accumulated during the week. I've been running this river for a couple of decades but there are two areas I haven't explored. As of last Saturday one area is down and another to go. I will try that one when there's more water flowing between the banks. I wish I could post a video of a close encounter with a rock wall but this is a family friendly site. I called the boat every four letter name in the book to try and make it turn my intended direction. Enjoy the pictures.

Man, you guys still have a ton of snow around
    Are you going to youtube the video?
    Cheers

No youtube video. TJM usually edits the video and loads it on youtube, unfortunately he wasn't on this trip. That trip would have made a great video too!

There was a good layer of sugar snow in the narrow valleys, typically up to the knees in depth. We had to run pretty close to the head waters to find all that snow. It looks like the sun only touches the ground for a short period of time throughout the day in a couple of those valleys. Heck, we were even turned around when we rounded a corner and the river was suddenly covered with rotten ice and sugar snow.

Default Mystery River?

Where is it located?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default mystery river

i believe that water gremlin is calling it mystery and not using its real name. one of the pics i seen is the same pic he was asking us to guess where but i cant find the thread anymore. i think i have a pretty good guess from the other pics included in this post but i dont want to give anyones secrects away.

OH, so it really is a mystery. That explains why, when I Googled it, I got nothing.

I figured people would try to guess the location. Really, I have no problem if someone names it. Not like it's a secret or anything.

GO!!!!!

Default metal creek

did i get it? huh huh?

I'm guessing somewhere in the Alaska Range?

Nope and Nope.

5 Internet Points goes to the winner.

Default naw

water gremlin lives in eagle river and theres only a few areas to launch this time of the year. its either somewhere up 20 mile, the placer river valley, or up knik river. all areas are shallow water boat areas.

Default Not Knik

Im guessing the Placer. Either way just beautiful but with the views i think the placer.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Nope and Nope.

5 Internet Points goes to the winner.
    My guess is up 20 mile.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

glacier river?

OK the 5 points will have to be split between akriverrat, spoiled on, and yetnaman37.

The first picture is of Carmen Lake. The Carmen Lake branch was a very rough run. The water was shallow and narrow with basketball sized rocks scattered about hidden by a slight layer of water. I touched about a dozen rocks on the way back down and had a close encounter with a rock wall.

Third and frouth pic is of the old fishing spot back before the new and "improved" fishing regs. The scenary has drastically changed over the past decade.

Second pic was of an avalanche on the 20 mile branch near the cabin. Very cool!