Thread: Bleaching Skulls

Question Bleaching Skulls

I have a couple of black bear skull from a couple of years ago that I did not take care. All the flesh is off but there is some green and brown stains on them. Is there anyway to bleach them out or are they stained forever?
    The one is my dads and would like to give it to him for fathers day. I currently have them soaking in hydrogen peroxide, it has helped some but there is still a good bit of stain remaining.

Try putting them in the sun. I'v found useing peroxide and the sun really helps get skulls whiter. Not sure what it is maybe the uv rays.

I would rather have a slightly yellow skull with some oil left in it over a dried out white one that is falling apart. Some oil is good none not so good. I have both and also have to use clear nail polish on the canies to keep them from peeling.

Don't know about yellow stains. But he's talking about green and brown. Glad we're talking about skulls

I Tried bleeching a couple of antelope and deer skulls once. I left one soaking a little too long and it ate away at some of the more delicate bones but if you rinse them off soon enough it works. You might have to try a few short treatments. Putting them in the sun sounds like a good idea and I would try that first. Another possibility is borax. I've used that on my more recent skulls for removing flesh and it works well, maybe it would get rid of the stains. I would also try that before resorting to bleech. After my skulls are cleaned and rinsed off, I rub clear furniture finishing oil on them, it brings out the natural bone color.

Default Try This Method

Here is a link to a few skulls I did last year.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=19666
    Good Luck

Steve

If the stains still refuse to come out. Spray the skull with KILZ brand spay sealer/primer stainblocker. Then coat it with the Elmers and then spay it with epoxy clear to seal it.

Good Luck

Steve

Over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide, the stuff used to clean cuts is not strong enough to remove stains since it is only abot 1% peroxide. In order to use peroxide as a bone bleach it must be at least 40%. You can get 40% peroxide at beauty salon suppliers in the hair bleach or at a medical supply store, but the stuff the medical suppliers sell is about 80% and I believe you need a license to purchase anything over 40%. Don't use chlorine bleach, it will ruin the bone. After bleaching with peroxide you can use the white spray KILTZ as a sealer. By the way, I used to do European Mounts as a hobby business and have done around 100 deer, a couple of moose, about 5 elk, and several wild hog skulls and all I ever used was beauty salon grade peroxide.
    Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I have a couple of black bear skull from a couple of years ago that I did not take care. All the flesh is off but there is some green and brown stains on them. Is there anyway to bleach them out or are they stained forever?
    The one is my dads and would like to give it to him for fathers day. I currently have them soaking in hydrogen peroxide, it has helped some but there is still a good bit of stain remaining.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default OTC is strong enough

[QUOTE=OKElkHunter;268425]Over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide, the stuff used to clean cuts is not strong enough to remove stains since it is only abot 1% peroxide.

OKELKHunter ,

I disagree completely. Just last night I removed my black bear skull from 3% peroxide, BTW the OTC is usually 3%, and my skull was as bleachy white as you can ask for. I left the skull in the OTC peroxide for about a month in nothing but the OTC peroxide. I actually prefer this because I am gone often and I do not have to worry about the strong peroxide eating my skull. It would take a year for the OTC peroxide to eat a skull. I did soak my skull in OTC Acetone for a week to cut the grease prior to using peroxide.

Acoat of elmers and I am done. Just in time for the next round of skulls.