Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Snagging...

Default Seward Snagging...

anyone know when its gonna start to heat up? Ive been bored waiting for the fishing season to start.

i can ussually pick up limit over the holiday. how soon they start to show up i'm not sure, sorry wish i could help more.jeff

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    i can ussually pick up limit over the holiday. how soon they start to show up i'm not sure, sorry wish i could help more.jeff
    hey Jeff,

What are you snagging out of Seward?

hey jonathan, this time of year, kings theu july when silver start to show up. thats when its best in my opinion, you have late run kings and large silvers available. snag your salmon,fillet then, take strips of belly meat and go for halibut,rockfish,and what ever is avilable on the bottom. i use to go down on friday, get my salmon just outside harbor then go to dirt road to caines head and catch halibut till midnight. drop fish off at in laws house and get another limit. proccess fish on sunday morning then hit russian or bings before heading back to anchorage. almost always have fish to bbq. jeff

Default They snag for King Salmon...

@ the Culvert in Seward, using a lead weighted, with like a #1 treble hook...it usually heats up @ memorial day weekend, & goes untill @ the first or second week of June.

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    hey jonathan, this time of year, kings theu july when silver start to show up. thats when its best in my opinion, you have late run kings and large silvers available. snag your salmon,fillet then, take strips of belly meat and go for halibut,rockfish,and what ever is avilable on the bottom. i use to go down on friday, get my salmon just outside harbor then go to dirt road to caines head and catch halibut till midnight. drop fish off at in laws house and get another limit. proccess fish on sunday morning then hit russian or bings before heading back to anchorage. almost always have fish to bbq. jeff
    Nice weekend! Thanks

Default reds

we have done real well snagging reds on reserection creek in mid june..

I didn't think anything ran in Reserection Creek, other than pinks...

(Reds???)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    I didn't think anything ran in Reserection Creek, other than pinks...

(Reds???)
    Jimmers, I'm thinking the "reds" thing was part of a "tongue in cheek" joke to go along with the snagging in Resurrection Creek because as we all know this would be illegal... At least the last I heard it was still illegal to snag in any freshwater streams in Alaska.

Snagging fish? Is that really ethical? Not something I would would consider sporting.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-14-2008 at 13:14. Reason: spelling

ethical? i grew up in new york. when i was young snagging was legal and i grew up on it. here the salt water fish in alaska on there way to breeding,are usually uninterested in feeding when they hit the streams. it is legeal and a nive way to stock the freezer. if you never fought a 30# king hooked in the tail then you have never felt an out of control fish. they go where they want and you have no control over them. its legal so i still enjoy fishing for them. if you do not then that is fine everyone has there own opinion. as long as its legal then i will still enjoy the activity.jeff

Default Ethical schmethical

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Snagging fish? Is that really ethical? Not something I would would consider sporting.
    It's legal. It's fun. It fills the freezer. They will die anyway, unlike steelies, guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Jimmers, I'm thinking the "reds" thing was part of a "tongue in cheek" joke to go along with the snagging in Resurrection Creek because as we all know this would be illegal... At least the last I heard it was still illegal to snag in any freshwater streams in Alaska.
    I think the reference was to the saltwater mouth of the creek in Seward...the last few years, folks have been getting a good number of reds there...but, yes, you do have to be in the salt for it to be legal.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Snagging isn't Ethecial,

but it's legal, with that said, I don't snag myself, & all my kings I ever caught in R. Bay were on Pixies, & my uncle always snags there...

& yes, Sayak is correct, snagged fish figh much harder than mouth hooked salmon, probably because it's more "painfull".

I have a better chance enticing the fish to hit a lure or bobber & bait. Not sure I want to be near someone casting a weighted treble hook.

It's hard work too - CAST*reel*reel*reel*YANK*reel*reel*reel*YANK*reel* reel*reel*YANK*

That being said, I don't like snagging, I'd rather cast a spoon, though it sucks when you get skunked.

Default "painfull?"

I don't think they fight harder because its more painfull, but rather because they have more leverage on the line being hooked on the body or tail and not the head. When you entice them to bite and hook them in the mouth, I think it gives you more control because you can attempt to control which direction you want them to go, rather than pulling them "backwards" when you snag them. That doesn't mean I don't think its fun to snag in the ocean, you should see the amount of Pinks in Valdez late July, its like Snag City for alot of people.

Fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    but it's legal, with that said, I don't snag myself, & all my kings I ever caught in R. Bay were on Pixies, & my uncle always snags there...

& yes, Sayak is correct, snagged fish figh much harder than mouth hooked salmon, probably because it's more "painfull".
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou View Post
    It's hard work too - CAST*reel*reel*reel*YANK*reel*reel*reel*YANK*reel* reel*reel*YANK*

That being said, I don't like snagging, I'd rather cast a spoon, though it sucks when you get skunked.
    "Ah Steve,You know snagged fish taste better."

Default Hey wait Goalie....

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post

...Sayak didn't say that! AkFun said that. I said it was legal, fun, and filled the freezer.
    I've never done it in Seward, only at the Fishin' Hole in Homer, when I was a local. I never much cared for the flacidity of the fish compared to fish fresh from the salt, but if that's the only king you get, its gotta do.

Just curious- Does anyone do catch and release snagging? I had a ball as a kid snagging BIG carp on UL tackle in the winter when they congregrated on the river at stream mouths. those big old buggers would take off up river and make the little UL rigs sing. If you got them turned, they would go right by you going down river . Then the real struggle began, to bring them back up and in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast