Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Best RUBBER hunting boots

  1. #1
    Member schmidty_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    535

    Default Best RUBBER hunting boots

    I am thinking about getting a pair of rubber hunting boots for the real wet stuff. I like the Lacrosse Alpha Burly sports, but does anyone have any suggestions?

    Also, if I were to get these boots, should I get any insulation at all? I would be using them during the summer and then for fall moose.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    I prefer Lacrosse Burly's. I live in them during moose season.

  3. #3
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,454

    Default

    i didn't like the lacross fit, but the cabela's comfort trak fits me great(once i stretch them to my foot, i have wide feet) and seem to be incredibly tough, i have insulated and non, for summer/fall i'd go uninsulated, anything into late sept on, ie snow or temps near there, i'd go insulated.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  4. #4

    Default

    I use to wear the Lacrosse Burley all the time. Seems the pair(s) I wore 10-15 years ago had much more ankle support and were a tighter fit around my ankles. I bought a pair last month after hunting several years without them and it seems these are not are tight fitting and supportive as I remember. I can tell you I'll take my Lacrosse Burley over Xtra Tuffs anyday, those feel like I'm walking barefoot on a board to me.

  5. #5

    Default

    +1 on the lacrosse. I've had 2 pair in the last 13 years and no complaints. I currently have the Grange, and they are nice for those warm days when you need a boot, or have to do a bunch of hiking. They also dry out pretty fast because of no neoprene.

    I also have the Cabelas duratrax uninsulated and they are really hot but fit well, so they come out in the fall.

  6. #6
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    I wish I could remember the name of the outfit in Wyoming that makes the boots that the vast majority of rubber hunting boots the guides here use.

    Given the time the name will come to me? (old age)

    Heck, I thing the name is in my favorite list, somewhere?

    These are lace up boots and I can see why they are so popular among the guides.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Member JamesMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Big Al
    schnees boots - maybe?

  8. #8
    Member JamesMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I have a pair of Lacrosse ankle fit boots and I like Ďem!

    My buddy purchased a pair of Le Chameau leather lined rubber boots. He trains dogs so he spends many long days in them - year round. He claims that they are by far the most comfortable rubber boots heís ever owned. I canít speak to it since I donít have first hand experience. *Beware they are very expansive. Check out the sportsmanís guide my friend got lucky and picked them up for Ĺ price.

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Big Al
    schnees boots - maybe?
    Yes,that's it. Thank you James! That's the trouble with getting old, if I remember correctly?

    http://www.schnees.com/catalog/schne...pac-boots.html

    No wonder I was wrong, I did a web searches thinking they were in Wyo. It's Montana. I think you will find these boots to be vary popular among Alaskan guides.

    Two pages on the link, scroll down the pages. This will answer your questions about insulated boots.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10

    Default

    I took the question about rubber boots too literally and was thinking of boots made of all rubber, otherwise Schnee's would have been the first recommendation out of my mouth

    I've heard nothing but great reports about Schnee's boots. Kenetrek is another boot similar to Schnee's that gets great reviews. Am looking to buy a pair myself, just can't decide which company to go with. Seems I read somewhere the Kenetrek owner was formerly of Schnee's...? I could be way off of course. Both are manufactured in MT.

  11. #11

    Default Muck boots

    I use Muck boots. I tried on everything in several stores and the were by far the most comfortable. They are the only thing wear in moose season.

  12. #12
    Member Jeff Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I've heard nothing but great reports about Schnee's boots. Kenetrek is another boot similar to Schnee's that gets great reviews. Am looking to buy a pair myself, just can't decide which company to go with. Seems I read somewhere the Kenetrek owner was formerly of Schnee's...? I could be way off of course. Both are manufactured in MT.
    shearej,

    Here's the story. The owner of Kenetrek, Jim Winjum, was the production engineer, factory manager, and mail-order manager for Schnee's since they made their first pair of boots. The Schnee family sold the company to an out of state investor about four years ago and amidst some unfortunate drama that accompanies such a transition Jim left and started Kenetrek. Because he oversaw the mail-order business for Schnee's he saw first hand every pair of Schnee's boots that were returned due to defects or just general wear issues. By his own admission Jim has said that the Schnee's boot is well built, but he took what he learned and came up with the Kenetrek line to address a handful of problems that he saw with the Schnee's boots. The changes are mostly subtle like the one-piece backstay and the D-ring at the ankle for increased lace snugging, but the outsole design is completely different and patent-pending. If you ever have questions about boots give them a call. Jim's an absolute huntin' fool and he can tell you more than you ever care to know about boots.

    http://www.kenetrek.com/Aboutus.asp

    Jeff

  13. #13
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default Try the mucks

    I have worn the Lacrosse Alpha's and I own a pair of Mucks. I prefer the Mucks, they seem to have better ankle support. I dont know price diffs tho.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stevensville, Western Montana
    Posts
    38

    Default Schnee's Boots

    Side note on Schnee's Boots, I have a pair, great traction and support, warm, and very good in wet conditions, but in water conditions that go over the rubber bottoms they will leak. Maybe not right away, but over time they will start to leak around the seams of the leather and rubber if continually in water conditions that are above the rubber bottoms.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northwest AK
    Posts
    165

    Default +2 for Mucks

    I have lived in mine from spring to early winter. They fit better than any knee boot I've ever used. Whether ducks, moose, caribou, pulling net, or early and late sno-going I love them. Hell I even let a musher wear them in this last year's 440. He loved them for the wet overflowy spots and the overall comfort and warmth. The neoprene uppers initially made me and my pals doubt how long they would last moving through willows, getting snagged on nails, etc however they have held up wonderfully (aquasealed one hole in three years) They are going on season three and have outlasted any and all other knee boots I've had.

    The pair I have is the wetland and the only drawback is they can be too warm in summer.

  16. #16
    Member Formerly Montana Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    329

    Default Another Muck Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by rugger View Post
    I have lived in mine from spring to early winter. They fit better than any knee boot I've ever used. Whether ducks, moose, caribou, pulling net, or early and late sno-going I love them. Hell I even let a musher wear them in this last year's 440. He loved them for the wet overflowy spots and the overall comfort and warmth. The neoprene uppers initially made me and my pals doubt how long they would last moving through willows, getting snagged on nails, etc however they have held up wonderfully (aquasealed one hole in three years) They are going on season three and have outlasted any and all other knee boots I've had.

    The pair I have is the wetland and the only drawback is they can be too warm in summer.
    I love my Artic Sports but they are being retired after 3 years and some serious abuse. I have got a ton of shoe goo and atv on them now and it's time for a new pair. Looked around all last week for a new pair and found them at BJ's but wouldn't you know it size 10's are back ordered. Army Navy first thing in the morning.Will be giving them a work out Monday on my PWS Bear hunt.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

  17. #17

    Default Rubber boots

    The Lacrosse Burly boots used to have a tighter ankle grip and slightly different lining on the inside. The new ones are a looser fit. Probably 'cause people complained that they were hard to put on and take off. They were the best rubber boots for hiking. Even killed a sheep while wearing them.

    Recently used the Alpha Burly Sports on a bear hunt. They are ok. I wore a heavier sock with them to get a tighter fit.

    Have had a pair of Muck woodies for 5 years. Great boot for comfort and warmth. Use them in the winter for plowing snow, walking, etc. But, would not be my first choice for long treks.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    372

    Default Xtra Tuffs

    Iv'e never thought about wearing anything other than Xtra Tuffs for wet conditions including hiking up and down mountains hunting all day. I like to change out the wool insoles daily and hang them on the boot dryer over night, if available. Then again, I have been lucky and never have had issues with my feet.

    On very long treks, say 10 miles or more, the Xtra Tuff's tend to make the top of my feet a little sore. For spring hiking when it's mucky out in certain areas, I'll even carry them with me to get through the sloppy areas and then put my leather boots back on.

    Not to say I won't try a pair of Mucks one day or one of these other brands you guys mention.

  19. #19
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    shearej,

    Here's the story. The owner of Kenetrek, Jim Winjum, was the production engineer, factory manager, and mail-order manager for Schnee's since they made their first pair of boots. The Schnee family sold the company to an out of state investor about four years ago and amidst some unfortunate drama that accompanies such a transition Jim left and started Kenetrek. Because he oversaw the mail-order business for Schnee's he saw first hand every pair of Schnee's boots that were returned due to defects or just general wear issues. By his own admission Jim has said that the Schnee's boot is well built, but he took what he learned and came up with the Kenetrek line to address a handful of problems that he saw with the Schnee's boots. The changes are mostly subtle like the one-piece backstay and the D-ring at the ankle for increased lace snugging, but the outsole design is completely different and patent-pending. If you ever have questions about boots give them a call. Jim's an absolute huntin' fool and he can tell you more than you ever care to know about boots.

    http://www.kenetrek.com/Aboutus.asp

    Jeff
    I'm buy my next pair of pacs from the guy you suggested. Looks like these will surpass Schnee. Better prices also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Xtratuf has gone to China which translates gone to hell in quality. Was the greatest boot known to Southeast Alaska what are we going to wear now ????? I'm not supporting this China ****. I'm mad as hell about this along with others what can you do ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •