Thread: Brown hitting my bait.

Default Brown hitting my bait.

Finally got some good photos of the brown bear that's been hitting my bait station.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more.

Great Photos!! Have fun with that

Nice! What trail cam are you useing & how far away do you have the cam set up from your bait? thanx..

Man, thats a gorgeous coat! with some nice markings too. Looks like he was camping there a while.

Sucks that it's a brown,but great pics
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What game unit? I am in 14B and I can't believe we are still at one grizzly per 4 yrs. I've given up on my black bear baits due to all the grizzly action that wipes em out.

Good luck getting rid of that guy.

Nice pictures and nice bear, too.

Unit 15. Moultrie 200 about 20 feet away. He came back at 0130 or so also. Took some okay photos for night time. I've got a black hitting also I think but the camera wasn't cooperating on that one.

Heres the one Matt had coming in last year

I hope he ain't a repeat.

What a cute little fella. He sure would look purdy on the wall. Nice pics

Default brown on bait

I have been getting hits for about a week now the trail cam has picked up a brown sow with cubs and 2 different black bears the black seems to be coming in right before the browns each day, but the browns are hitting it every day. I hunted it the first time last nite with no action. Seeing the sow and cubs definitely has me a little spooked but the blacks seem to still be coming in. Do you all think I should let it go dry for a few days so the brown will move on or continue to bait and hunt? I have hunted this site for a few years now but its the first year I have used a trail cam I think the cam might have been a mistake I think seeing these brown has me more spooked than I was last year not knowing how many brown were coming in LOL.

I'd keep baiting it but be more aware, sounds like the black bears aren't to bothered by the brown bears either. You might also consider hanging a treestand close by and have someone with you. I hunted a bait site by myself one year, had all kinds of spooky things going on around me but I kept it together and eventually got a nice blackie.

Good luck getting that brownie to clear out of there. A blunt-tipped arrow on the noggin might do the trick. If not, at least it'll be lots of fun.

I checked my station today and no hits. I think/hope he's moved on. He never finished the bait even though he came back 3 times in one day.

Default Keep baiting

I've had black bears come into my bait within minutes of me shooing brown bears off the bait. Did learn not to throw my gloves at a brown bear thought the smell of me would spook him off, wrong! He urinated on them then went back to eating. He also didn't care how many shots I shot with the 12 ga. shotgun he'd look up at me look around and go back to eating he finally left after a sow with cub showed up and whooped him up She left as soon as I yelled at her then I hot footed it outa there. I've watched Blacks and Browns circle while another bear was at the bait kinda neat to see the pecking order. Good luck and keep a sharp watch when entering and leaving that Brownie you walk up on may not want to share the bait with you!!!

Talking

I showed up today with my gun at the ready and doing my imitation of an owl turing his head 360 degrees.