Thread: Savage - Weather Warrior?

Default Savage - Weather Warrior?

I've been looking for a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06, but it seems that most places here in Anchorage are out of them, and have them on backorder.

Came across what is marked as a Savage 116FSS today in 30-06. Looking at the Savage website, it looks like this is the Weather Warrior series. The one thing that has me doubting this though is that Savage's website lists it for $640. The one I saw today was about $480. The weight listed on Savage's site is 6.5 lbs. The one I saw today felt like a little more, but hard to say exactly.

Thoughts on this gun? I'll go back and look at it after work, but am curious what you all think of this one, or whether I should hold out for the Tikka.

Edit: I also looked at a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06. Looking at Ruger's website, it looks like the regular one was discontinued, but there is an all weather ultralight. It says it listed at $779, but the one I saw was $525. Thoughts on that gun? Not sure it was an "ultralight," will check it out again after work as well.

Default Savage Weather Warrior

I remember Jack Morgan had some good things to say about Savage's WW in another thread (different caliber rifle, but should still apply):

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25621

Info that I collected afterwards suggested Savages had above average accuracy out of the box and good value for rifle.

The WW's I handled did seem heavier. The bolt action did not seem as smooth as other guns and I believe were push-feed.

Good luck.

sportsmans had a 338 in t3 ss, not sure about 30-06

Thumbs up savage

I have 2 savage weather warriors both in 300wm. one with the accutrigger. while not being as fancy as other guns, they are both tack drivers, accurate as heck. I love the accutrigger, easy to adjust and shoot. for a relatively inexpensive rifle you can't go wrong with a savage.

Default Savage WW

I have the Weather Warrior in the .338, detachable magazine which turned into a pain in the you know what. When I fired the gun, the magazine would fall out. (Not good when hunting deer on Kodiak -- I had to duct tape the mag in place).

After multiple calls to Savage and trying out a couple of new magazines, I finally convinced them to send me the parts to convert the gun to a top-loader with a floorplate. No problem after that. Do not buy the gun with the detachable mag.

Other than that one problem, I love the gun.

I've yet to get a Savage that wasn't crazy accurate out of the box. I really like the Accutrigger since I've become accustomed to it. I just got a WW in 338 with a hinged floor plate. So far it hasn't opened up on me while shooting. The thing I really notice with the Savage barrels is that when you push a tight patch through them they just go through like butter, no little tight spots, or the feeling that something has hit a little snag. They are easy to clean and I've not experienced any problems with any of them.

30-06 great cartridge but what is even greater is the Savage 116FSS. My116FSS in 7mmSTW out of the box with the old style Savage trigger shot circles around my Tikka 7mmRem mag. Savage is more accurate than a Tikka. posted this before but here is three shot group from my out of the box Savage 116FSS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    30-06 great cartridge but what is even greater is the Savage 116FSS. My116FSS in 7mmSTW out of the box with the old style Savage trigger shot circles around my Tikka 7mmRem mag. Savage is more accurate than a Tikka. posted this before but here is three shot group from my out of the box Savage 116FSS

Nice shooting. Just curious - do you think your 7mm is only 6 1/2 pounds? I think it is listed at that - same as the 30-06. But it seemed to be a little more when I held it at the store. I didn't have anything to compare it to though really. The Tikka's just seem crazy light when I hold them. (Edit - looks like the 7mm is listed at 7 pounds).

I am also curious as to whether you've had any problems with the magazine like was posted above? thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Nice shooting. Just curious - do you think your 7mm is only 6 1/2 pounds? I think it is listed at that - same as the 30-06. But it seemed to be a little more when I held it at the store. I didn't have anything to compare it to though really. The Tikka's just seem crazy light when I hold them. (Edit - looks like the 7mm is listed at 7 pounds).

I am also curious as to whether you've had any problems with the magazine like was posted above? thanks in advance.
    My 7mmSTW had a 26" tube so it weighed 7lbs. Both the Savage and the Tikka did not score high points in feeding from the magazine to the chamber.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Me TOO

I bought a 116 WW in 1995. It has a fluted SS barrel with a muzzle compensator, a no detachable magazine, and it came before the accutrigger.
    It is in 338 WM and shoots really well. I shot a lynx last year at 208 yards with a 225 NP, yea I know over-gunned. But that's what I had that day and time, I was bear hunting. I would rather have a lynx than a bear anyway; supposed to get him back from the taxi in a couple of months.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 338 mag drop also!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I have the Weather Warrior in the .338, detachable magazine which turned into a pain in the you know what. When I fired the gun, the magazine would fall out. (Not good when hunting deer on Kodiak -- I had to duct tape the mag in place).

After multiple calls to Savage and trying out a couple of new magazines, I finally convinced them to send me the parts to convert the gun to a top-loader with a floorplate. No problem after that. Do not buy the gun with the detachable mag.

Other than that one problem, I love the gun.

Yep, have the same problem, but at that time Savage did not want to sell me the floor plate, so got another mag....for the guys like me who can't afford the "classy rifles" Savage offers a shooter that can more then hold it's own...it's heavier then the t3 but can run a box of 225's threw it without to much agony. Sure dose not hurt the ego when sitting beside the "perferred" rifles as you clover leaf your group. Absolutely no other problems...good luck with your choice....Desertdog

Default savage WW

I'm another happy owner of the savage 16, mine's in 300 WSM. Thing was great out of the box and even better after a new trigger was in....the thing can drive tacks....when I can hold er steady that is!

My next rifle will most definitely be a Savage...save the money by buying a savage so you can put more in the scope.

I'm a very happy owner of a Savage WW 325WSM. I also own a Savage 17HMR and a savage 243. All left handed, which can be hard to find. So you could say I'm a little one sided. I will stick with Savage for the value and accuracy.

Default lefties

hahaha, had to reply Fireman, thats actually why I bought my first Savage (besides hearing good things about them). It was either a Tikka or Savage cuz they were the only two that offered SS, synth., and 300WSM at the time.

Glad I saved the bucks and went with the savage!!!!

Default One more Happy Savage Owner

My first Savage is a WW 325 WSM. I had the Tikka t3 in 300WM prior to this. I can tell you that the Savage is only about 19ozs heavier than the tikka; fully rigged. I love the accurized trigger. The Savage OOB was, IMHO just as accurate, if not more, than the Tikka.
    Savage lost favor with folks a while ago due to the lack of 'beauty' in their finish compared to other rifles. However, they have always been a darned accurate, well-built rifle. I guarantee that the Savage WW rifle will outshoot your ability! Not sure where you were looking at the rifle, but they should have a scale to weigh it and compare. When we are talking 250-300 difference in rifles....The Savage is a platinum bet!

Another Tidbit, on Scopes: I was stuck on the Leupold VXIII with the B&C reticle. Ended up with a Pentax; hunter knobs, B&C Reticle; same warranty, same optics with better optical coatings, for HALF what the Leupold cost. In looking through both scopes at the store, the Pentax actually let more light in, and was easier to see through in lower light conditions. I have been a loyal Leupold customer up until the purchase of that Pentax. At the end of the day, for me, it is about most bang for the buck! In today's economy, I am sure it is similar for more and more people.

Default On Another Note:

After purchasing my Savage (Boondock's): I went looking for a Limbsaver Recoil Pad (I swear by them). I ventured into GNG, as I have purchased a firearm or two from them over the years. In mentioning it was a Savage rifle, one of the gentlemen there (whom I have ALWAYS found to be quite rude) made the comment of "We don't deal with toystore guns"...implying that one can only buy Savage at Wallie World. Not sure what kind of acid he was on that day, and seeing as how GNG sells Ruger's for God's sake...anyhow, they have permanently lost my business - or I should say until that particular person quites or gets fired.

SO - if you decide to go with the Savage (can't go wrong if you do) - do not go to GNG looking for any items for it!

Default Hey seakayaker....

Do the Pentax offer a lifetime warranty? I too am die hard Leupold, but am willing to save some bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    My first Savage is a WW 325 WSM. I had the Tikka t3 in 300WM prior to this. I can tell you that the Savage is only about 19ozs heavier than the tikka; fully rigged. I love the accurized trigger. The Savage OOB was, IMHO just as accurate, if not more, than the Tikka.
    Savage lost favor with folks a while ago due to the lack of 'beauty' in their finish compared to other rifles. However, they have always been a darned accurate, well-built rifle. I guarantee that the Savage WW rifle will outshoot your ability! Not sure where you were looking at the rifle, but they should have a scale to weigh it and compare. When we are talking 250-300 difference in rifles....The Savage is a platinum bet!

Another Tidbit, on Scopes: I was stuck on the Leupold VXIII with the B&C reticle. Ended up with a Pentax; hunter knobs, B&C Reticle; same warranty, same optics with better optical coatings, for HALF what the Leupold cost. In looking through both scopes at the store, the Pentax actually let more light in, and was easier to see through in lower light conditions. I have been a loyal Leupold customer up until the purchase of that Pentax. At the end of the day, for me, it is about most bang for the buck! In today's economy, I am sure it is similar for more and more people.

The ruger ultra light has a 20" barrel and the regular one has a 22" barrel. The regular one is light by itself.

The suggested retail prices for guns are typically 20% higher than what they actually go for. If you make sure to shop around that is.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Do the Pentax offer a lifetime warranty? I too am die hard Leupold, but am willing to save some bucks.
    Sounds like it is a liftetime warranty. Info here...

Default hunt.AK

Thanks Buddy, looks good to me. The only thing that worries me is the phrase that says: "from an authorized PENTAX sport optics dealer". Still sounds good if I can save some bucks tho. I was so worried about my Leupold stuff, even with the warranty, that I took out a personal articles policy that covers it while in the field. Kinda nice feeling.