Thread: DCOO1 landing strip?

Default DCOO1 landing strip?

Does anybody know if the airstrip in the DC001 draw hunt (caribou) is open to private aircraft? Looks like alot easier to get in that way instead of humping it for days over those mountains. Thanks,
    Johnny

Default Better choice

Try the bush flying forum.

Terry

Default What strip?

The only two serviceable strips I know of that are near the hunt area are at Cooper Landing and off of Mystery Creek road and that one is not open. YOu can get dropped off on one of the lakes in the pass. If there is another strip near the hunt area I don't know of it. It's a tough hunt even if you get dropped off at one of the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaihntr View Post
    It's a tough hunt even if you get dropped off at one of the lakes.
    I don't think folks understand how tough of a hunt this can be. There is a reason that the average annual harvest is about 10-12 caribou out of 250 permits awarded. Those are awfully low success rates!

I've hunted this herd on foot on my own permit twice and on friends/siblings permits 3 times. I have hiked on average 50 miles per sighting of caribou - no exaggeration. Most folks aren't willing to do that for a measly caribou, particularly a small one for the freezer (though large bulls certainly do exist in this area). The hikes involve a lot of elevation change, the caribou are few and far between, and the distances are long.

I know you can handle this, Johnny. I just write this for the 1,000+ people who apply for this permit yearly who have no idea what is involved. Of the 250 permits that are awarded, a huge number don't even go afield. What a shame.

Thanks Brian,
    If i draw that permit, i'm going and will make it on way or another. I just see an airstrip almost on the western boundary of the hunt area. I then correlated this to Google Earth. There is an airstrip there, coupla miles south of Indian River. Looks like a trail that leads from the airstrip to the hunt area. I've always seen people on the forums go on this TOUGH hike into caribou land, but I was wondering why I've never heard about anybody using that airstrip? On Google Earth, the coordinates are 60deg 48' 38.39"N 150deg 00' 30.02"W. I hope this helps. Sure looks like an airstrip to me, and it matches up with F&G's hunt area for DC001, where it shoes an airstrip. I don't think my map reading is that far off. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks again,
    Johnny
    P.S. Brian, are you gonna put in for this one again?

Its not easy looking at a topo map on F&G website, but it now looks like it might be a pipeline, and not a trail after all. I still believe that is an airstrip, but it must belong to the refinery in Kenai???
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    P.S. Brian, are you gonna put in for this one again?
    No - and nobody else should either.

What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment, and I've taken a wolf up there while caribou hunting, which is always a nice bonus.

Default airstrip

The airstrip on the pipeline/Mystery Creek road is servicable but closed. Having flown over it several times they have it marked out quite clearly. I haven't been on that side on foot so I don't know if there is a trail from that strip into the mountains or not.

Default different strip

Its not that airstrip. Its a small one in the mouth of the indian creek valley. We decided not to use it. We just walked in. You'd be better off walking in my opinion. Heck, you're probably gonna walk ALOT during that hunt anyway. Go fly over an check it out. It really leaves you a ways from treeline. Be careful if you use the strip.

Smile Good idea

Wow, I hadnt heard of that strip. It looks like the refuge considers it an open landing strip and it appears to be in a good location for that herd (and moose and black bear too!) Here is the link: http://kenai.fws.gov/overview/maps/p...loon_flats.pdf
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

If indeed it is open, I wonder why nobody picked up on that strip before? Could it be...its been a secret??? or is it just that I'm a genius? That's ok fellas, I'll let you pat me on the back. Solly, I couldn't open up your link. If it was a big secret, its not anymore.
    Johnny

The link finally opened. That map looks accurate to me. Good job Solly!
    Johnny

Default No secret, really.

I fly my own airplane on 90% of my hunts and I walked in the trail from the truck. The strip isn't really saving you anything. Its actually a worse starting point than the Reserrection trail. Its not really a secret, it just is a poor place to start in my opinion. I bet a fella could hike in and over from hope alot quicker to the headwaters there, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it or anything. Fly over it and let me know what you think. Its been a couple years.