Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When It All Comes Together!!!

Default When It All Comes Together!!!

What a day at the range when it all comes together!! I took my .375 Weatherby Magnum to the range this morning as I did yesterday but made some small load changes. I only had time after setup to fire 6 rounds waiting five minutes between rounds. I had changed my OAL down to 3.640" to give the 300gr TSX a good jump which in the past has proved very accurate when using the TSX. Then I used two groups of weighed 300gr TSX's. One group weighed 300grs and the other was 1/10th grain less. It is so cool to find the load so quick. The first target shows the lighter bullets at about 1:00 o'clock on the target and it measured .764". Then I adjusted the wind-age and elevation and used the TSX that weight exactly 300grs which is the group at 12:00 o'clock that measured .350" and the average speed for the six rounds of 93grs of H4831sc was 2783fps. Adjusting the OAL made a difference in accuracy and velocity.

Smallest group is .350" the lager one is .764"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is a closer shot of the .350" group

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

nice job!!!

good luck when you head into the field with it.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    nice job!!!

good luck when you head into the field with it.
    Thank you theONE73
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up OK

Awesome Beartooth, you gotta like that. Yep, the Barnes site recommends loading their TSX's about .05 back off the lands. I'll keep that in mind when I load mine. Good job.

Thanks Montanarifleman, It is a shooter. I forgot to mention on my original post that I am using Weatherby brass, and 250 CCI primers.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

All of your groups are showing vertical in both of your threads. I don't think that a hunting rifle that shoots as good as your new pet, that it makes a tiny bit of difference. Even the fliers are still killing shots. Even if they were out by one inch. No animal will know the difference.

Now with all that said, getting the vertical out is not going to be easy with out spending more money on a good tuner. Why bother?

I own more than a few .375 H&H's and not one of them is not accurate. I believe the .375 is one of the inherent accurate ctg.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Smile Great!

Looks like you've got a keeper rifle Beartooth, and you also quickly found the load it likes. Congratulations sir! Your groups look fantastic, but you might want to move that target out to 100 yards and see how it does further out than 25. :-)

Curious what powder technique you used, weight or measure?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Looks like you've got a keeper rifle Beartooth, and you also quickly found the load it likes. Congratulations sir! Your groups look fantastic, but you might want to move that target out to 100 yards and see how it does further out than 25. :-)
    You know I was afraid the groups would open up to much if I moved it to 100yds
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Curious what powder technique you used, weight or measure?
    MontanaRifleman, when I develop loads and even my hunting loads much less target loads I always weigh each and every charge of powder (bullets have already been weighed and sorted). I have a habit of getting my cases sized and prepared and then put my primers in then one round at a time weigh the powder charge, then seat the bullet. I ALWAYS LOOK AT MY SCALE EVERY TIME BEFORE I DUMP MY POWDER TO MAKE SURE EVERY CHARGE IS THE SAME. This is just a routine I go through.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A little perspective on my group

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Your hands must have been shaking on that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Your hands must have been shaking on that group.
    Now that is truly funny!!! You laugh but when I saw the first two touching I choked some on the third shot and new it did not feel like the the first two I shot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Good job

Hey Beartooth;
    Nice work. Where is that range? I would love to shoot there.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Hey Beartooth;
    Nice work. Where is that range? I would love to shoot there.
    Mark
    snowshooze, you are just going to love this answer (not really)!!!! McNeil Mississippi about seventeen miles north of were I live.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That is where I wish my ZKK was. AArrrrggghhhh!

Good job. Now you need to go kill something with it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I just love this Mark V Custom .375Wby and my Zeiss Conquest scope. This rifle is so well balanced in my hands and throws up so easy and is on target when it gets to my shoulder. But what I like the most about it and the Shilen barrel is that this is so far the largest group I have fired with the rifle .782"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Field use?

Looks like load development and target practice are a done deal...bring that bad boy north and get it dirty BT before you shoot the barrel out...I'll buy you a beer when you get here. What's your plan for it's first field use?

BTW, I have figured out how you get such tight groups. I noticed your targets are home made, and I suspect that each of those squares you draw on the target, which are usually an inch on the store bought ones, are really much larger on your home made ones (maybe even one foot squares drawn on some huge paper banner). Consequently, your groups look great...but I'm still working out the part about the holes touching and that dime thing.

That is to funny Doc!! Doc I have some good shooting rifles and I like all my rifles but I love this one. I have some that shoot tighter groups but with this rifle I am throwing a 300gr bullet and getting small cartridge accuracy. Also my average was 2784fps on this target which is only one foot per second different from the last time I shot it so my load work must be pretty much on the mark. I am tempted to use my .375Wby on every big game animal I hunt this year and just for the fun of it take it coyote hunting once just to prove it shoots good enough to take a coyote. Of course there might not be much of the coyote left but it will sharpen my long range shooting with the rifle. My brother and I really do want to come north and hunt in Alaska. This fall is out but really trying to shoot for some time in 2009. I come I will let you know and yes I will take you up on your offer. I will not be able to afford a guide but my brother knows some one who live in Alaska and we will try and hook up with him. I just want to see Alaska and if we are fortunate enough to get something, that will just be gravy on the the potato's.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast