Thread: Lakes around Soldotna

Default Lakes around Soldotna

Any lakes that are good for fishing around soldotna? I will be up middle of July and would be looking for a day to walk and get in on some stocked fish. We have some stocked rainbow lakes here in Minnesota that I have fished on would the same type of tactics work? Slip sinker, swivel, snell with some type of imitation spawn work? Down here we use a lot of the Berkley power baits, but I'm not sure what types are found in your bait stores.

Default Land o' lakes

Quote Originally Posted by PRFISHER View Post
    Any lakes that are good for fishing around soldotna? I will be up middle of July and would be looking for a day to walk and get in on some stocked fish. We have some stocked rainbow lakes here in Minnesota that I have fished on would the same type of tactics work? Slip sinker, swivel, snell with some type of imitation spawn work? Down here we use a lot of the Berkley power baits, but I'm not sure what types are found in your bait stores.
    Lots of lakes down this way with both stocked and native fish- mostly rainbows and small silvers, but a few lakes have char or dollies.

Use a small snelled hook with either shrimp or a single egg under a bobber. You could also use a small Mepps, or Kastmaster with eggs.

Here is a link to the fish and game web site. It list stocked lakes and when, what, and how big the fish were stocked.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You bet, there are some great lakes around here. The trick to finding the lakes with the big trout are the ones that somehow are connected to the Kenai river. You have quite a few options but if I were you I would start by looking into the lakes out Swanson River Road. There is a whole system of lakes out there with many options as far as access. There are also some good lakes up in Cooper Landing. Good luck on your search! Have fun.
    Fishing is one part skill too two parts luck!

The refuge out swanson river is the place I would start. If you will be using bait, provided it is legal, I would use cocktail shrimp.

I prefer 1/4 ounce pixies, yellow lighting mepps, cast masters, and vibrax. I find green is a good color out there. I never mess with bait much unless I'm ice fishing, I find I can cover more water with he cast master.

If you can, rent a canoe and get out on the lake. Amazing trout fishing to be had out there, no mistake!
    River Runnin