Thread: reel for a 7wt

Default reel for a 7wt

Hey all,

I'm headed up to Kodiak in late July/early August and I'm thinking of getting a new reel to replace the one on my 7 wt rod before I go. I've currently got a Gander Mountain reel (I think it's made by Albright) that works ok for steelheading in the Lake Superior tribs here in MN, but lately the spool has started to randomly free-wheel when I pull line out of it. I don't want to entrust my fishing on Kodiak to a reel that could give out at any moment.

Any suggestions on what I should replace it with? I'm a student so I'd like to keep it under a couple hundred bucks, and the cheaper the better. Mostly I just want something with a reliable drag. I've never fly fished for any salmon besides pinks, but I hear a reliable drag is a must.

The reel will be going on a TFO TiCrX 7wt rod (I know, I know, I don't know why I got such a nice rod and didn't drop some more money on a better reel--live and learn, I guess). Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Default 7 wt reel recs

1. This thread on 8wt reels was pretty informative - and should apply to your needs too...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28376

2. You could call or visit local fly shops, which would give you the advantage of handling the reel before purchase. My experiences with McAfee's, Mountain View, Worldwide Angler and 3 Rivers have all been positive; good advice and good products. I think the Okumas are probably stocked at most or maybe all those shops and run under $200. The local fly shops won't steer you wrong and have the best local knowledge.

3. Cabelas carries a variety of reels. Although Scientific Anglers wasn't mentioned in the 8wt thread above, some SA reels are on sale at Cabelas now - for under $200.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Wright and Mcgill Reliance is a very good reel. Right now, the 7/8 is on sale at B&J's for $120 and at $120 I'm not sure a better reel exists at that price point. I have one and I think it's pretty sweet. I would also recommend a Lamson Radius. You can get one at www.mrfc.com (click on online catalog and search for clearance reels) right now for $99.95 or a 10 wt for $114.95. Very good reel for the money.

If you want to drop a little more for a reel that will last a lifetime, you can get an American Classic Sales Alaskan Anti-reverse at Mountain View for $340. B&J's used to carry these, but not sure if they have any left. If so, I think they are a little cheaper there. It's a 7/8/9 wt reel made in Utah (U.S. made is a big plus for me) and is one hoss of a reel. I'm going to use mine for Kings this year and I used it for reds and silvers last year. I have no doubt it will handle anything. I have a Billy Pate bonefish that cost $200 more than the American Classic that I'm selling because it doesn't perform like the American Classic.

www.wright-mcgill.com
    www.americanclassic.net

Thanks for the info, folks. I checked out some reels in town and online today, and the two I keep coming back to are the Ross Cimarron C4 LA and the Teton Tioga 8LA. I've only heard good things about both so far, does anybody have any complaints about either of these reels?

The Tioga is cheaper ($165 vs. $230, unless I find a deal), but I've actually fished with a Cimarron before (a C2, I think--it was a few years ago) so I know I like the feel of them.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Default Ross

A buddy of mine that I fish with a lot has a couple Cimmarons that perform great. I wouldnt hesitate if your leaning that way.

If you're not gonna play in the salt too much then I have been happy with the Okuma reels. Some guys roll their eyes but I have caught big fish on light gear and it wasn't down to the reel doing the fighting. Last summer I caught kings up to 40 pounds on my 8 weight and the reel I was using, just by chance of what I through in the bag as I hadn't planned on using it for kings, wasn't a very good reel in my opinion anyway. Drag is nice but I find I use it mostly to keep the back lashes out in any of my gear 8 wt. down.

That being said I have come into some Teton Tiogas for my gear that I got for a good price and so far I am impressed by them and I think for all my heavier gear I may be sticking to them from now on even with the steeper price tag.

Kodiak is probably gonna get some brine on your reel so I would recommend a reel that can handle it at least for heavier gear. You'll spend a little more but you probably won't need to replace the reel for a long time, if ever, if you keep it rinsed and get a nicer one designed for the salt.
    River Runnin

I use a click-"drag" Sage reel on my 7 wt. I wouldn't use it for Kings, but have caught a lot of silvers, chums, etc on it and haven't had any problems. Usually the rod and a bit of palming should be enough to control 'em.

However, I might be in trouble if a biggun decides to make a long run...but so far I've been able to stop and turn 'em before I get too far into the backing.

Default tioga

I have a tioga 5wt, and am more than happy with it. Check ebay, I have seen the Tioga's on there for right around 100 dollars new. Just a thought.

Jake

Default One more option...

So I was leaning pretty hard towards the CLA 4, but one of my local fly shops has the TFO LA 375, and I've read some good reviews. Has anybody used these?

I think they were made for saltwater, so I would feel a little better about fishing in the salt with it. I don't know if that's good judgement on my part or just good marketing on their part...

Also, does anybody know if TFO backs up their reels with the same lifetime warranty they back their rods with? That was one of the big selling points for me when I bought the TFO rod, and I think it would be a great thing to have in a reel.

If you're looking at a reel that big, look at the American Classic. It has a better drag and is built like a tank. You can order direct from the company if you don't want the "Alaskan" printing on the side.

Default New GLoomis Current...

This is a great reel.