Thread: Carlisle oars

Default Carlisle oars

was just in west marine getting some oil and saw they carry all kinds of NRS accessories now. I picked up some carlisle oars, they also have cataracts too. Pretty nice having a place closer to home to pick that stuff up from. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Default Competition is good

It's always nice to see another local place to buy rafting equipment. When I'm not in a hurry, I order directly from NRS. Their shipping is very reasonable and is usually less than the markup placed on stuff by the local reseller(s). Thanks for the tip.

Default local competition does better

I just bought 9.5' HD Carlisle oars with 8" blades at 6th Avenue Outfitters. They were $10 cheaper than West Marine on the shafts and $5 lower on the blades. Same price as NRS-web and NO shipping charges =)

Default Carlisle construction

Just curious. I used Carlisle oars for years and found them to be very tough, but I am wondering whether or not they have addressed an issue that I found frustrating. The oars I had were set up w/ a pair of inter-locking pipes/tubes when you joined the two sections, and the tolerances were very tight. It was very precise and quality engineering/construction, but if you got a tiny bit of sand/grit between the inner sleeves, forget getting the oars apart. The aluminum galled on me when I once tried to break the oar down, and even w/ pipe wrenches I could not budge them. Thus, I used a 2-pc oar and a one-pc oar the last few years. Is the design the same?

Hasn't changed, or at least not enough to stop the problem. Most of my oars still come apart, but not all of them. I prefer solid oars anyway. I've broken a few of the breakdown ones. They snap right at the joint. You can get the one piece oars into a small plane with the blades off, so who needs the extra parts?