Thread: Cerakote vs. Arctic Coat?

Default Cerakote vs. Arctic Coat?

Looking for opinions from those that have experiance with these products. Does anyone know who does Cerakote in Alaska? Let's hear the pros and cons about these products.

Default A Candy coated shell....

I have one custom rifle with Cera-kote and a couple with Arctic-Kote. These were all applied by Arctic Gun Works in Fairbanks and are still available there. The cera kote is very tough with an almost sand paper feel to it. The Arctic-kote is a little slicker but still a robust finish. I think the Cera kote is about $50 more to do it.

I like both but think I prefer the cera-kote because it is a more textured finish. I can post a pic of the guns tonight if you want but it's hard to tell much from a picture. I'm Fairbanks is you want to look them over. One is a custom on a MRC action and has O.D. green cera-kote, the other two are Sako AV's in 375 H&H restocked with McM stocks, both black Arctic kote. The feel of the cera kote is more like a parkerized finish but can be had in different colors.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've only have 1 rifle with cerakote. I went with midnight purple, its more of a matte blue. So far I really like.

I have one rifle with cerakote - it was done outside Alaska. I have not seen anyone in the state that does Cerakote just Arctic coat. I used the rifle for several season - no issue as of yet.

Another option. I'm getting ready to do a Ruger 77 in this product in OD green! Will let you know how it goes! Will probably be a week or so!

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/

Thanks to all for the inputs, I'll make a trip to Arctic gun works this Saturday and check it out.

I find Duracoat and its brethren to be too soft. Nitriding is the best.

Walter Birdsongs Black T is another good option though a little more spendy than the others. I had a model 70 done with Black T last spring and like the way it looks and functions. I talked with Mr Birdsong on the phone and he told me I could leave it water for months on end and it would come out looking like new. He does coatings for the Navy SEALS, FBI, and many other govt organizations.

Black T is little more than Teflon and is soft...attractive yet soft. I have two Tefloned pistols, one is starting to show wear after 5 years of carrying