Thread: 50+ miles outa Whitter

Talking 50+ miles outa Whitter

We left Whitter on thur 8th and got out to where we started hunting, I guess around 4:00 pm or so. The water was naddy going out, with the bow of the 220 sea runner going under a few times. We found calm water once we got to the first bay. The rain and low vis diden't help, but our spirits were good. Next morning however things went down hill fast with a coil going out on the 150 yamaha 4 stroke. So limp back to Whitter at about 6 mph or so on the 25. Found cell phone reception and called in a favor. Had a new coil and a spare waiting when we arrived at around 6:45 pm.We were on our way back out in 30 min on flat calm water. As we arrived at the next bay we wanted to hunt, I started cooking some moose burgers. The first bear showed up around the time I fliped the burgers. But as we watched and tryed to judge size, he saw us and was gone. After moving a bit we got sight of him a second time only to take flight a second and final time. We figured he had been shot from a boat . Well with the stove off at this time. About five minutes later I spot the next bear, and not taking any chances we got out of the boat as soon as we could and stated the stalk to get a better look and judge this bear. We got to with in 100 , 75 yards but still coulden't get a good view as this bear was down in a creek mouth and darknes was closing fast. Finally getting a chance to get a good jugment on this bear figured it at over five. It was full bodied, fat neck, small ears. fat legs. I told the good friend I had with me, also the one that talled me into going. That it would be a good first bear for him. and if he wanted it to take it. BAM and the bear falls over like nothing I have ever seen. However the bear getting back to it's feet, got out of our view. This bear took a hit that broke bone and still got into the woods. When we were getting lights out of the boat,our other buddy that was watching the whole thing, coulden't belive that bear even got up after that shot. After searching for sometime the shooter found where the bear had driped water on the rocks after crossing the creek, so in we went lights and all. Not to far in I noticed a big piece of bark falling and figured this bear some how made it up a tree. One tough bear! Not being able to see anything because of the branchs and the darkness, we called of the search till morning. Not really sure if he was in the tree or not, stared looking for him the next morning on the ground.
    Only to have my buddy that shot him to finally come back to the tree the night before and there he was. Still alive but not by much, a finish up shot was taken and another case closed. I for one will think twice next time a decision on a shoulder shot or a lung shot on a bear needs to be made. I allways lung shoot everything else. And is a for sure dead animal after a little time. This bear with a broken shoulder made it into the woods, 60 feet up a steep hill, then 20+ feet up a tree. I don't think he would of gotten that far with a lung shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking bear and I am glad you were able to locate him after the shot. Thats one thing about bears you never know what is going to happen even with good shot placement, some just don't realize when its over.

Default Nice bear

What year yamaha, i've got the same boat and motor might need to add a coil to the toolbox.
    Dave

Default Sa-weet!

I'll be there in 3 days! Shrimpin, fishing & blackie bustin (provided opportunity knocks!) How were the snow conditions?

I'd like to add, nice bear and I also agree, they are some tuff critters! Many years back, I stuck one three times over two days... I'll admit my archery skills were not my best back then. I had one a little high and too far back to hit a lung. Waited him out overnight, attempted to recover him to find him eating about 25 yds from where we last saw him! It was really windy enabling me to close the gap and stick him again, this time too far forward (novice bow hunter I was). I again waited him out until late afternoon, found him in some thick brush cleaning his wounds. I really felt bad for I was not being too ethical with a clean/quick kill. So I waited believing he'd be long gone on the next morning. I was trully suprised to find him exactly where I left him, deceased! I stuck him one more time just to be sure! I think that regardless of your shot placement, we all need to ensure we follow up. Patience is a hard lesson, but it typically pays off. Wish me luck!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Excellent job, congrats on a nice bear.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Congrats

Congratulations Duckman. Looks like a nice bear. What Island did he come off of or were you up Port Wells along the coast?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default I leave on Friday!

Heading out Friday for eight days on a 50ft boat out of Whitter. First time doing such a thing. Best thing about it I get to eat! Beats the one mountain house meal a day on sheep hunts.

Will send photo's after trip.

Troy

Was waiting on the pics. Nice!

Default whittier weather

How is the weather out there we canceled our trip this week because the report was for 9ft seas getting worse all week.Did it not happen?If the water is good maybe i could salvage a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Heading out Friday for eight days on a 50ft boat out of Whitter. First time doing such a thing. Best thing about it I get to eat! Beats the one mountain house meal a day on sheep hunts.

Will send photo's after trip.

Troy
    Thanks for letting me know you're going chump.
    The world needs a new Alaska bear hunting video.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Not sure on the year of the yamaha but I guess it only had 150 hour. Muskie go get a coil you never know.

Montana,
    There was still alot of snow but not enough to keep the bears in there holes. For long anyway. The south west sides of any bay should hold bears right now We did see a few tracks up in the sonw areas but nothing I would say over 200-300 feet high.

OKElkHunter
    Nice try Just go out 50 miles and start looking on any south west bay, and be ready it happens fast.

tv321
    The farther you go out the better your chance. 8 days on a 50 foot boat (YOU SUCK) Take salt,8 days is a long time. You should be hitting it at the right time. You would have to have your eyes closed to not see any bears. Oh did I say you suck Good luck you should do fine.

Matt I have a cd with all of them. Come on by and check em out. I need to get some to your aunt too.

awwu
    It was naddy going out thursday like I said the bow of the 22 footer went under a few times but the guy we were with knew what he was doing. After thursday it was good. We heard 7 foot seas on sunday it was more like 7 inch or less. Sorry you diden't make it.

And if any of you get a shot and can't find it look in the trees
    Heres a couple more pics. The reflection was taken saterday night and the skim ice was saturday morning
    Attached Images Attached Images

AK_DUCKMAN,

You're starting to gather a record for successful bear trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    AK_DUCKMAN,

You're starting to gather a record for successful bear trips.

Noticed how all of them involved a boat of one kind or another.
    I need to figure out how to get one of my own now.

Thumbs up Congrats.

Can you tell me what bay you might have been in? Unfortunately we were unable to get down there this last time off from work and are heading that way on the 28th we hope. Thanks.

Default Heading down

tomorrow for 4 days, hope the water settles down as forecasted! Hope to see bears, get 1 and tons of shrimp. Ok I will settle for #'s of shrimp.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Sat!

Heading out Sat AM and going to try to find ol Mr Blackie!

I was ther 3 years ago this week. The landscape sure is different this year.
    Great pictures!!

Matt..... Is that J. Romano on the right in that field dressing pic?

Default PWS Blackies Busted

Well, after our trip, we came out successful, a two for two deal. We harvested a 5 1/2 footer and one at 5' 8". Here's the story in condensed format:

Friday a.m. on the 16th we headed out of Palmer, arrived in Whittier. We camped in the parking lot and made up a quick lunch and hit the water. While dropping 3 shrimp pots, we noticed 4 bears. We glassed them for a few minutes deciding on looking for larger specimens. The day closed early due to 4' seas and a 20' boat, all in all, we saw 7 bears total, one we attempted a stalk (the critter pulled a disapperaing act on us), 2 rockfish and about 40 shrimp. We closed the evening with some grilled elk tenderloins and baked potatoes.

Saturday. The weather was typical Whittier weather, windy, seas at 7' let's just say we knapped around listening to the marine forecast and eventually made it out in the late afternoon. Spent much of the day glassing/fishing. Man, we saw a TON of goats! The weather cleared and again while pulling in shrimp pots, saw 2 more blackies. I wasn't feeling my oats this day, too many brewskies (cruise ship in town) last night. I opted to pass, good call.

Sunday~ what a gorgeous day on the water! It was like glass! We decided to hit a few close local coves. Pigot Bay we saw one WAY UP in the snow, pass for now ( Do I seem lazy?) No, I just had back surgery in Feb and am trying not to kill myself on them steep inclines! A few more fish and shrimp in the coolers. The night closed unevently.

Monday~ weather was intermittent, but we made it out for a late afternoon hunt. Bingo; spotted a beautiful blackie. I hit her hard and she tumbled 40 feet down an old slide. I was not presented a follow up shot. I found her clinging to life, but in the thickest alders I have ever been in! I shouldered my 325 and went in closer. 15 yards out, 44 in hand, I yelled HEY BEAR a few times. Feeling more confident and tow steps closer, she turned and charged! Yow, what an adreniline rush! Pow! the 44 screamed into action, nailing her solid to the terra firma. I patted myself on my back, and began to skin/quarter. Bang.... Bang.... a few shots rang out. Well, it seems we now have two blackies on the ground. After some skinning/quartering chores were done, we headed back into the harbor, slowly due to the wonderful weather!

All in all, a great trip. 2 Blackies, loads of shrimp and a few fish too boot! Pics coming soon...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...