Thread: Delta Jct. Moose Hunt

Default Delta Jct. Moose Hunt

Hello, me and several other buddies are going to try moose hunting this fall, none of us have ever been before. One of the areas we were thinking about was Delta Junction, specifically DM798, which you can find a map of here:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/gis/i...nts&speccode=M

We choose there since the cow permit draw has a decent sucess rate, ~20 percent or so. My questions are, has anyone here hunted that specific area before? What is the terrain like? How prevalent is private property in that area and how easy is it to avoid? Anything I shold know about the area?

We also may or may not have access to a 4 wheeler/argo ect, how feasable would it be to hunt this area without one? We will have at least 4-5 people to share the load to hike out on foot if the terrain is reasonable for hiking.

I also put in for permit draws for North Matanuska river, i.e. Sutton and King River area, due to the prevalence of truck accessable areas, and Peters Creek due to it's closeness to Anchorage and the possibility of packing out meat with a bicycle and wagon. Sound like good choices?

Thanks.

Default Dm 798

Easy terrain, not much private land, lots of trails.

A lot of the area in DM798 is on Fort Greely and you need to stop by there and get a recreational access pass. Then make sure you sign in and out every time you go on or off the military reservation. There are a lot of trails and roads throughout the area but there are a lot of mud holes as well on rainy years so go prepared.

Default No problem...

If you have 4-5 guys with packs and you're hunting cows, you should be able to haul the meat out no problem.

Default My concerns

with this area is the thick brush. I passed on MANY cows because I couldn't tell if they had calves and they all ended up with one. Please take your time and watch the cow first. We had calves standing in brush about 15 feet away from the cow and would have never seen it unless we took our time. I have to wonder how many yearling calves were left on their own. I can only hope that most took their time and made sure of what they were shooting first. VERY THICK BRUSH throughout most of this area.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    A lot of the area in DM798 is on Fort Greely and you need to stop by there and get a recreational access pass. Then make sure you sign in and out every time you go on or off the military reservation.
    You can do the check-in by an automated phone system now. They also ask for how many days you will be there, so there's no need to call in to check out anymore.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)