Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit 16 Black Bear Hunt with SFW

Default Unit 16 Black Bear Hunt with SFW

Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW), Alaska Chapter, is offering "subsidized" hunts on Tyonek private property in Unit 16 this spring and summer for Black Bear hunting. They are offering predator control hunts for residents only for unlimited black bear harvests, including cubs and sows. They also are offering standard black bear hunts for both residents and non residents.

If you are considering going with SFW you should be aware that they must provide a guide contract to you before you can legally participate in SFW's subsidized hunt. They are requiring every participant to be a "paid" member of SFW Alaska. They cannot legally advertise or provide a hunt without a registered guide, legal in Unit 16, to be listed on all advertisements, corespondence and contracts.

Aaron Bloomquist, SFW's contact for the SFW subsidized hunt, is not a legal guide in Unit 16. SFW has used Aaron as a contact so many of you may think he is a legal commercial hunting guide in Unit 16 but he is not.

SFW has also stated they will be using a helicopter which under no circumstances is legal.

There are many confusing regulations involved with this bear hunt. Many last minute regulation changes by the ADF&G.

Protect yourself and become aware of the law. Your license is on the line if SFW gets you into something illegal.

Contact Alaska State Wildlife Trooper [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Lt. Olek in Palmer (907)745-4247[/FONT]

Contact the Big Game Services Board for legal guides in Unit 16

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

Karl Marx (A-K)
    Licensing Examiner
    Karl.Marx@alaska.gov
    Phone: (907) 465-2543

SFW is limiting its hunting and baiting to private property of Tyonek Native Corporation. So, you can assume this hunt will help the moose population on private Native lands in Unit 16 the most.

Why would SFW only hunt on private property if they are trying to boost moose populations for the general public in Unit 16? Only paid members and only on private property?

Why doesn't SFW list any information about this hunt on their website, including the registered commercial guide they will be using for the hunt? They advertised the hunt extensively at the sportsmens shows and by email to paid members yet avoid listing anything on their website. Why?

Sows and Cubs? - Doesnt this instantly flag somones ethics codes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Sows and Cubs? - Doesnt this instantly flag somones ethics codes?
    Its not an ethics issue since it is predator control not hunting which are two entirely different subjects. For some reason a large number of people fail to distinguish between the two.

Default The dirty little secrets they don't want the public to know

This (SFW-A public boondoggle) is the test bed for the future of the commercial hunting industry; to turn predator control into a private business.

Now that our wildlife resources are depleted the commercial industry needs extended seasons and more liberal bag limits (or no limits) on predators to sustain them selves. In order to accomplish this they need to tweak the rules (like using helicopters and same day airborne) and regulations.

They need to define predator control as NOT hunting; and preserve the opportunity to make money.

The bill(s) in the legislature this winter started out with changes to the commercial hunting regulations. (the intensive management bill)

Then there was the bill dealing with wildlife as States assets which did not include bears. They also left sheep and goats out; but for different reasons.

The commercial industry convinced the bills sponsors [Charlie Huggins and the Legislative Outdoor Caucus is in bed with SFW-A] to also write a number of amended regulations to the big game commercial hunting regulations that paved the way for this; turning predator control into commercial hunting.

The Governor appears to be asleep at the wheel now; as are most people, but they probably wont stay that way.

SFW-A, a group of 2,000 people, have no idea what is going on anymore than you or I.

It is only a few people meeting with the Department heads, the commissioner and wildlife protection department heads in back rooms and behind closed doors creating this shift to commercial "predator control".

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Its not an ethics issue since it is predator control not hunting which are two entirely different subjects. For some reason a large number of people fail to distinguish between the two.
    Some call it commercial hunting, some call it control.

When money is involved; hiring people to take you "controlling" if you will, when legislators are changing laws based on commercial hunting special interest........just to REDEFINE IT and call it control and not hunting....it becomes an ethical issue.

Default SFH...is the for profit side of SFW-A

I have one more doc. I can put up. 'Tricky little detail; using SFH out of Utah to sponsor this "H-U-N-T"

SFH-Alaska Unit 16B Black Bear Management
    Program Update 04-15-08

Requirements for hunters and camp volunteers:

SFW-Alaska Annual Membership $30 (see attached membership application)
    Signed waiver/agreement
    SFH-Alaska Bear Hunting Orientation
    ADF&G predator management permit (resident camps only)
    Hunting License
    Bear Tags (nonresidents only)
    Bear bait station permit (ADF&G, GPS coordinates will be provided for you)
    Signed agreement with our registered guide (all camps are guide outfitted).

Hunters responsible for:

Hunting Gear (guns, knives, GPS unit, survival gear, etc)
    100# of cheap dog food (bait)
    10# of non-iodized table salt
    Food for at least six days
    Sleeping bag, folding chair, and personal gear
    Transportation to Beluga or Tyonek (Spernak Air, approximately $140 R/T)
    Skinning and trophy care (fleshing, salt, shipping, sealing, etc.)

Schedule:

Camp setup begins about May 1
    Hunting - May 20-June 30

Camps will serve six people (2-3 camp volunteers, and 3-4 hunters), in six-day rotations. Volunteers may also hunt. Volunteers will be responsible for maintaining camps, baiting stands (they must be registered for baits), cooking, etc. Volunteers are not allowed to accept tips or compensation of any kind.

Hunters participating under predator management permit, at bait sites, may NOT take brown bears.

Non-Residents will be accommodated under general hunting/ guiding regulations.

Active duty military members will receive first priority.

Hide and skull of all bears must be salvaged and sealed. Meat must be salvaged of bears taken under general hunting regulations through May 31. Meat salvage from all bears is encouraged.

Veterans significantly disabled (on duty), resident and non-resident, active and retired, may be eligible for a 100% guided bear hunt sponsored by Tyonek Lodge, SFH, and various veterans’ advocacy groups. For more information contact Aaron directly at 907-982-2471.

Default SFH is a running a black bear management program?

Has the administration turned over management of our resources to an outfit out of UTAH SFH whose founder also owns a company called World Trophy Outfitters?
    SFH-Alaska unit 16b black bear management program
    Camp Rules

It is the expressed goal of SFH to assist in the removal of black bears from unit 16b for the purpose of moose recovery. All rules are intended to guide participants in helping SFH succeed in meeting this objective. We cannot afford to have participant operating outside of the rules and jeopardizing the success of the program or SFH.

All participants agree to follow the guidelines set forth

- Follow all laws and applicable statutes of the State of Alaska and the regulations as set forth by the Board of Game and the Department of Fish and Game. This is your responsibility and not of SFH. “I didn’t know” is not an excuse, if you commit a violation you need to report it.

- You may not take a brown bear over bait, you may not take a brown bear within one mile of a bait station and you may not take a brown bear from any camp that is supported by a helicopter. No exceptions.

- Practice firearm safety to prevent injuries.

- No alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed. No exceptions.

- All participants will be responsible for any camping and warming fires they start and are expected to observe Division of Forestry burning guidelines fire safety at all times. The months of May and June are typically the driest months and fire danger is often very high. Campfires will be extinguished if not closely attended and suspended or banned during wind or red flag events.

- No food will be allowed in sleeping tents for the safety of all participants. All food is to be stored in sealable containers in a designated location at each camp.

- Camps must be kept clean. All non-burnable garbage must be bagged and brought from the field.

-Salvaged black bear meat, hides and skulls will be stored a minimum of 100 feet from camp.

- Volunteers may not take money or give money in any part of this program. This is a volunteer effort by SFH members.

- Media scrutiny may be high, please refer any questions or interviews to Board members. Report any hunting interference to the Alaska State Troopers. We cannot prohibit you from taking photos however realize that photos should be tasteful and respectful. We are sportsmen working for our resource; one photo could send the wrong message and compromise SFH goals. Conversations regarding the program should be as professional as possible, consider that everyone who hears your story will pass it on. This is not recreational hunting, this is managed predator control.

I know its predator control but i still dont see how that deters ethically from you just killing a brand new cub and his mom- what would you do with a baby bear hide , awfully small rug 0.0

Im not against the idea, but I think it should be limited to boars/sows not accompanied by cubs like any standard hunt, afterall if theres so many bears it should be fairly easy to find a nice boar

I know its predator control but i still dont see how that deters ethically from you just killing a brand new cub and his mom- what would you do with a baby bear hide , awfully small rug 0.0

Im not against the idea, but I think it should be limited to boars/sows not accompanied by cubs like any standard hunt, afterall if theres so many bears it should be fairly easy to find a nice boar
    Killing only nice boars has contributed in a negative way to management; just like the rule that nonresidents must be guided to hunt bears has.

How about baiting, same day airborne hunts and using helicopters and only killing mature animals and making a business out of the whole affair of predator control; is that any less ethical than killing cubs?

Not being sarcastic or trying to start anything; just asking the question.

You don't have to harvest the meat and you can legally sell the hide. All six inches of it after that 30 cal. hits it. Heck, if you kill a black bear anywhere in Alaska this spring, you "could" just tell the ADF&G you killed it in unit 16 and show them your permit and its then legal to sell!!!! Yippie! How they gonna know where that hide is from?

What an unfortunate black eye for the resident Alaska hunters!

What a boon for the poacher!!!

Certainly some interesting information posted. Sigh...this SFW-Alaska sponsored "hunt" is just wrong, and it has the real potential to threaten future bear baiting opportunities.

What's real interesting is that I spoke with <edited> at the Board of Game meeting in Fairbanks back in early March, and he told me then of this SFW-Alaska plan, and that he had the exclusive guiding rights on Tyonek lands. Well I just checked that link to the Big Game Commercial Services Board site...and the list of guides authorized to guide in Unit 16, and Aaron is not authorized to guide there! I'm not sure how a guide who claims to have the exclusive rights to guide on Tyonek native lands, and who all along has been representing SFW-Alaska as the guide for this "hunt," can simply forego or forget to register for this Guide Use Area for which he claims to have exclusive rights.

And how can SFW say that "this is not recreational hunting" if they are taking out non-residents under general hunting and baiting regulations. Either they are only doing it all under the bear control regs in which only residents can participate, or not. This whole thing stinks to high heaven and I simply can't believe anyone supports this. Further, mandating that any participants join SFW-Alaska belies the notion that they are doing this for the good of the moose population; it should be clear to everyone that SFW-Alaska is just doing this as some publicity and membership-drive stunt.

I see SFW says in one of those posted letters or whatever they are that "media scrutiny may be high." Ya think? Imagine a video making it to CNN of cubs shot over a bait station, or God knows what else may come out. I am just really floored that this is going to take place.

Hey, ********* are politically connected. And there is no doubt that SFW has a lot of money. Maybe if things go well for them up here, the SFW founder, <Edited> can really begin making money with his *********business. I hope folks wake up to what this org is all about; they are not about conservation and prudent wildlife management. They are all about using politics and money to influence allocation of game animals for non-residents down the line. They are about lies and distortion, and I don't at all say that lightly...frankly I've never ran into an org like this where you can't even talk to anyone in charge to find out what is going on and what they are about.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 05-13-2008 at 10:11. Reason: names with negative comments

this is just how the hog hunting industry in texas got started, to many hogs, vermine, lets shoot them all and "help" out the farmers.whoohaaa hold up....we can get money for this!!! chaa--ching.
    I appreciate that Karl pointed out that these hunts are on private land and probably just doing the private land holders a favor and giving them money for it. Step out on state land where joe average can moose hunt and i think more guys might be up for putting together something....but paying a native corp to help them with their moose....and doing it on the fishy side...no thanks.
    beware guys..better ways to kill baby bears than by paying someone....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Hunting? Not So Much...

Is it worth going on the offensive, and perhaps getting some of the organizations like ABHA and AOC to state to ADN that they are adamantly opposed to this "management" effort and do not consider this related to "hunting" in any way?

I know I'm an outsider and this is you guys issue to deal with, but this just stinks based on what I've read...

Default SFW and SFH...not the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    it should be clear to everyone that SFW-Alaska is just doing this as some publicity and membership-drive stunt.
    It could be more than a publicity stunt and membership drive Bushrat.

It is not SFW-ALASKA doing this; though they are getting the credit "publicly" and are leading everyone to believe its the Alaska Chapter running the show.

It is SFH...Sportsman For Habitat.

Sportsman for Habitat [SFH] is a UTAH corporation; the for profit side of SFW-Utah.

SFW-Alaska sold this "management program" concept to the State as a test bed and proving ground for future public-private partnership that commercializes predator control.

S-F-H handles the client, the contracts, and the money.

Dig deep enough and you will likely find the State has contributed money to SFH for this "management program" too.

No one really has any clue yet just how deep the SFW political operatives have gone into Alaska's administrative, management and legislative body's of government. There can be no doubt though that they are doing back room deals with somebody in the administration and the departments.

Things are lot further down the road than what is happening at Tyonek in May.

Default mdhunter; AK BHA has already gone on record

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter
    Is it worth going on the offensive, and perhaps getting some of the organizations like ABHA and AOC to state to ADN that they are adamantly opposed to this "management" effort and do not consider this related to "hunting" in any way?
    mdhunter, Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has already gone on the record in print and radio in complete opposition to this SFW scheme.

There is another thread in the game management forum which talks about all this too:
    http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....ad.php?t=30593

Bloomquist registered guide license is current and he is registered for 16-01, which is most of tyoneks land.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Hey Jake...

Hey Jake, if you missed the cutoff application date to register for a guide use area, would you expect the BGCSB to grant you the opportunity to apply late? When exactly is the cutoff date to apply for GUAs?

(Edit: I went here (http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/apps/GuiUseReg.cfm ) and typed in his name and I don't see a listing for GMU 16. Is the data not current? Where are you finding the info that he is registered?)

Since when did non-residents need to be guided for black bear? Is this because it is on private land? This whole thing stinks and it should be stopped.

John, far as I can tell the only reason anyone participating in this thing has to be "guided" and sign a guide contract is because when SFW mandated they have to be paying members that technically went against the law if these aren't "guided" hunts. I could be wrong...but that is my take based on what I read that was posted by others.

Something sounds fishy to me. They need to let the professionals take care of the predator management like the arial wolf control. Animal activist don't need to see this crap, it's just more fuel for their fire.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast