Thread: Valdez question

Default Valdez question

I am heading to Valdez with the family in a week. During the packing process we ran across a gold pan that my wife bought me a couple years back for Christmas. I will have a boat while on the trip. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a place where we could spend a couple hours panning and maybe get a couple flakes. Please PM some info. Thanks in advance, Rod

Default Gold

I have never done well in Valdez so I prospect up the road now. This area is primary hard rock mining. The placer gold is much harder to find as there is not a lot or erosion action with the mountains. There were 186 mines in the area at one time.

The Lowe River, Glacer Stream, Soloman Creek and Mineral Creek do both have placer gold in them. It is just not very productive. Mineral Creek has a nice trail going out of town for quite a ways. The walk up to Soloman is pretty but steep. The Lowe is road accessible as is Glacier Stream.

It is always fun to just dip the pan. The area was hit with a huge flood 2 years ago. So you never know what changed.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks Dave

dave,

I will bring the pan and see what happens. A bad day panning would be better than a bad day at work. Thanks for the info

moslty panning anywhere these days you might be lucky to find a flake or a fleck... I prospect heavily and there are days that I go without anything in the area that I know is proven for gold....

good luck just remember classification is the key and carefully effecient panning is what you need..

I would take a 5 gallon bucket and a classifier and classify a 5 gallon bucket and then pan that... if something is found then get another ... if not then move spots and try higher in the creek.. but it is still possbile to find beach gold in that are just not as viable as the west coast of AK..