Thread: Personal “shooting range” and noise

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Personal “shooting range” and noise

Ive got this project that I have been thinking and dreaming about for several years now. The ultimate goal is to have a small piece of road accessible land, 3 to 5 acres in size that will support several of our out door activities. ATV riding, Snowmachine riding, Camping and of course Shooting. I want to stay within a 3 hour radius of Anchorage so that gets a guy about as far south as caribou hills area down on the Kenai Peninsula, and about as far north as the Talketna / Petersville area. Sutton would also be in the running I guess. Any way, what I am looking for from you guys is any input you care to offer in regards to shooting range noise mitigation. One of the main reasons for this property would be for the construction of a 100 yard shooting range were my boys can learn the art of shooting without the distraction, constraints and BS associated with a public range. That said, it must first and foremost be constructed with an adequate backstop and I got that much covered. But obviously cost will also be a significant consideration as well as NOISE. The last thing I want is to invest a bunch of money is something that will drive every neighbor in a 3 mile radius crazy with consistent loud gun fire! It would seem to me that a property on higher elevation would be better than one down in a valley. Also it would seem that a heavily wooded lot would aid somewhat in muffling some of the noise. But years ago I had a good look at what the air force calls a “hush house”. This was a concrete structure used to run high powered jet engines and it was constructed in such a way that you could look thru the angeled sides and see the aircraft or engine inside, however the noise was reflected, or directed in such a way as to prevent it from exiting the building……….. magic as far as I can tell?? Of course I know there is a scientific explanation for this, but it is frankly beyond my base of experience or knowledge. Anyway, I am curious if it would be possible, and practical to fabricate a wooden structure large enough for two or three shooters that would significantly reduce the noise signature from my little shooting range or at the very least direct it in one direction instead of radiating in every direction and booming off of the mountains etc? Now I am not talking about a 100 yard long structure or anything like that. I am thinking more like an extended “shooting shack” that is perhaps 24 feet long and obviously open on one end. Not necessarily roofed the entire length, or even with solid walls all the way.

Any theories or advice you would care to offer would be welcome.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Be sure to talk to the neighbors before buying or lifting a shovel. And ask yourself this question: Even if it's legal, do you want to encourage the neighbors to be shooting around your property, too? Not a criticism of your idea in any of that, but in our case I quit shooting on our 5 acres so I'd have a leg to stand on when I asked the neighbors to be more safety conscious, as well as not to shoot early and late when my kids were trying to sleep.

Those neighbors are long gone thankfully, and all of us shoot a little once in a while, but we've all looked over each other's safety setups. We also call all the neighbors closer than a half mile or so to make sure our shooting won't disturb them. They do the same for us.

I've got a sign right in front of my house with a couple of 44 cal bullet holes in it. Because we've got the arrangements I mentioned in place, an alert neighbor was able to recognize strange shooting and call ahead to the troopers. Yup. The maker of the holes is now the former owner of a 44 and short lots of cash.

Mark

I once saw a photo of an underground shooting range at a private home. The "range" was essentially a 3' x 3' x 100 yd. tunnel with a rope pulley to get targets downrange and back. It was like shooting out of a basement window.

You might be able to build a modest masonary block structure with shooting ports to shoot from inside of. You would want to build some sort of shield around the ports on the inside to put your muzzles in and fire from, because you sure wouldn't want an accidental discharge inside. Even a three walled masonary block structure with roof would absorb alot of sound and direct it in a desired direction. And you could line the interior walls with a sound absorbing material.

Default Range Silencer

If you want to shoot and not disturb your neighbors, use a silencer. NO, not like your thinking.
    A fixed range silencer is legal a works well. It a simlpe apparatus you just stick the muzzle of the rifle into the end of the silencer and fire at your target. The tube catches and supresses gun report holding it in the caseing. These are about 3 feet in diameter and 8 feet long, with a hole through the center about 12 inches in diameter to aquire the target down range.
    These are used by shooting ranges and promote good neighbors. as they only allow fireing in one direction and limit the targets at which to shoot.
    When I attended a NRA shooting range seminar, I believe I obtained a diagram of these. If you are interested just PM me and I'll dig it out. Might take a week or so though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I too have been thinking the same thing. I had drawn up a plan to bury a 40' conex. Those are 8' wide x 40' long. Good length for a pistol shoot. You'd be able to fit 2 shooters and with it burried, you could essenially keep the far end open filled with dird for your backstop. Right next to the shooters have a fan to blow the dischared powder down range to a ventilation fan to exit the conex. I was actually going to just put my yard over the top and no one would be the wiser. Still haven't done it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Default Muffler

One of the gun magazine editors created a sound muffler from one or two 55 gallon drums filled with fiberglass except for the central core which is the shooting hole. Rifle muzzle is inside the drum... just a big, immobile silencer.

Build a tunnel of scrap tires about 8 feet long held together with a simple treated 2X4x8 frame for support. Just like you see tires on display in a store like Sam's Club.

Loosely fill each tire with some fiberglass insulation. Rip a couple of the treated 2 bys into firring strips and screw them lengthwise across the outside of the tires to be sure they will stay tight together. Line the inside with a loop of chicken netting to keep the insulation in place. Put your barrel just inside the first tire. What sound does escape will go downrange, very little out to the side. Total cost probably $50.

What ED said.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

My dad built a tire thingie in his backyard many, many years ago when he had neighbors start to pop up near his formerly remote property. Unfortunately, the 10' long row of tires actually had the opposite effect... it made the noise worse by focusing the sound out both ends like a bullhorn. Of course he didn't put any fiberglass insulation in it, so maybe that would make all the difference, but you still have 2 wide open ends of the tube...

When you start talking about building concrete, ventilated bunkers, you might as well just pay the $200 tax stamp to the BATFE and buy a commercial purpose-built firearm sound suppressor and be done with it. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper, is completely legal, and works the best.

A few other points. If you go indoors (or underground) ventilation becomes critical to avoid exposure to concentrated exhaust gases that contain lead. Even more so for the kids than the adults. Also, when you go indoors, the local sound is concentrated. So while your neighbors may not hear it as well, the shooter is exposed to much higher sound energy. Double hearing protection (muffs over plugs) is mandatory.

A hilltop will allow the noise to travel further while a wooded valley will absorb more of the energy. Sound is waves through the air, just like waves through water. You want stuff around you to interfere with the transmission of those waves. Trees and hills disrupt sound travel.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Lots of good ideas here, but I am starting to believe that this little dream of mine may not actually be feasible. The silencer / suppressor idea is a good one, expect that the main purpose of this little range would be to teach my boys shooting skills with multiple types of firearms from the various shooting positions. That would require an awful lot of suppressors for all the different guns I have. It would also rule out the “tire tube” device as that seems to be only practical for a bench rest type set up. The buried connex has some merit for a short range pistol set up, but as mentioned would require some air handling system, and perhaps even some sort of sump pump to keep it from turning into a 40 foot long toxic cistern during the rainy season. Lighting would also be a must, but it could be done.

I have started a file on this little project, and time permitting will continue to dig around on the web collecting info on sound absorbing materials etc. If I run across anything truly remarkable I will be sure to post it.

Thanks again for your ideas and input.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Build the small building, and put in the tire muffler. Who was the guy who invented the 7mm STW? I remember him in a magazine describing exactly what Ed M had written on. The horizontal stack of tires. He didn't bother with insulation.

The waves produced by the gas exiting the barrel radiate from the barrel, so intercepting them will only allow that portion of the wave that is able to exit the front and rear of your tiretube. The longer the better. And if you use semi-truck tires, with auto tires inside the rim opening (they fit perfectly), it'll be even quieter. If you use an opening that only allows the barrel and a small but more for sighting purposes on the shooter end, even quieter still. You could use this set-up for standing sidearm practice as well, not restricted to the bench.

A squirrel-cage fan moves a tremendous quantity of air, is quiet and cost efficient. Placed at the end of your tube, it would move more than enough air so you wouldn't be exposed to lots of lead. By the way, people speak of airborne lead nowadays like it was gaseous cyanide. Remember we all grew up with leaded gasoline until 1985.

I will look around for an addy for the fans.

http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blo...ansBlow-1.html

Another

http://www.hydroponicequipment.com/d...itemnumber=150 bought one of these when I was at UAF doing research. They move an amazing quantity of air.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Oh, hang the tiretube from a pulley at each end so you can raise/lower it to match the shooting position.

This is a good idea, don't let it die.

At the Public Range just south of Albuquerque, NM they had a 100 Yd length of sewer pipe with a bench on one end and a berm on the other. The idea was to reduce the down range potential shot fall, but it also focused the noise in one direction. Very noisy, but only in one direction.

The NRA puplishes a book with information on the design of ranges. I have not personally seen it but there may be some ideas in there.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp