Thread: S.E. Teen killed in hunting accident

Default S.E. Teen killed in hunting accident

So young and such a shame. My dad always preached and practiced safety. Man just one slip and it is over. I feel for his family. I guess that is why I dont keep a round in the chamber.

Here is the link to the ADN article

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/403946.html
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers with the family. Sad reminder,need to have this talk with your kids again.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Unhappy

yes, a terrible accident. i feel for the 17 year-old that was with him.
    we already talked this over here, a family discussion about how this might have happened and how it could have been avoided.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

So very sad.

Daughter and I hit the turkey woods today, and once again we had "the talk" about gun safety. We discuss it every time she grabs her 20 ga.

You can't overteach gun safety.

not sure who all remembers but we had a huge thread on who carries loaded guns after they leave the truck and if i recal it was over 60 percent of the ODD users carry loaded guns once they leave their vehicle....it ain't just dumb kids that accidents happen to, i bet he was being real safe too....thats why they call it accidents. I just hope some folks can learn for this familys misfourtune, i wish the best to his friend/family and the community, thats a super tough loss.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Extremely sad! It just rips at the heart!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yes, a terrible accident. i feel for the 17 year-old that was with him.
    we already talked this over here, a family discussion about how this might have happened and how it could have been avoided.
    I had a grouse hunting partner who TWICE I caught with a round in the chamber after he had shot a bird with a semi-auto. This never boded well with me since he was almost always behind me.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    not sure who all remembers but we had a huge thread on who carries loaded guns after they leave the truck and if i recal it was over 60 percent of the ODD users carry loaded guns once they leave their vehicle....it ain't just dumb kids that accidents happen to, i bet he was being real safe too....thats why they call it accidents. I just hope some folks can learn for this familys misfourtune, i wish the best to his friend/family and the community, thats a super tough loss.
    My real grandfather, who I never met, died from his partner's chambered shotgun. The man tripped, shot my grandfather in the leg, and, he bled to death.

To the thread you mentioned, I very rarely carry a round chambered. Never in the company of others. Occasionally when I am alone and get that "feeling."
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

A very sad tragedy.

That is a tragedy. I feel very much for the friends and family of that young man.

oz
    il vaut mieux ętre bon que la chance

Default Very Well Said.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    So very sad.

Daughter and I hit the turkey woods today, and once again we had "the talk" about gun safety. We discuss it every time she grabs her 20 ga.

You can't overteach gun safety.

My prayers and condolences for the family's. And this quote should be a mantra for us all.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

so sad
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Boy I agree. Terrible accident. But apparently not a lot of people are much safer. Anyone who tries to teach gun safety to a kid but carries one in the chamber better realize that they are teaching by their actions to be unsafe. Someone showed me how to look at someones gun and see if its uncocked and safe. If it isnt you dont hunt any further with that guy.... I guess the first thing to teach a kid is how to choose a hunting partner.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

God this is terrible to read. It's hard to say whether it was wrong or right to carry the gun with a round in the chamber. When we are out hunting we carry one in, but we ALWAYS make sure we are careful. It's something that happens unfortunately. Makes you sit there and remember the 1st rule of gun safety: Always point the gun in a safe direction. Poor kid who was with him.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

This is an old debate. I personally carry a round in the chamber and stay aware of where my muzzle is pointing and never put my self in a situation where I may loose control. And if there is a challange or obstical, I deal with it appropriately.

Is it OK to to hunt with a chambered shotgun and not a chambereded rifle?

If you consider the chances of this happening based on how often it does vs how many hunters do carry a chambered round, your chances of being struck by lightening are greater. Your chances of being shot accidently by another hunter mistaking you for game is also greater as well as being killed in an accident traveling to or from hunting.

That doesn't lessen this tragedy and I really don't want to turn this into a debate, so I will just offer my perspective and move on.

My deepest sympathy, sorrow and prayers for this family and the young man's friend.

Thumbs up Good point Montana

Untill I read your post I did not realize something. I have hunted with a round in the chamber with my shotgun. I have not with a rifle or pistol. Wrong or right it is a tragedy and this is something I have to change with my safety. So i have been in that situation but as has been stated I was also taught always know where your pointing your gun. Always assume your gun is loaded, and last but not least never point a gun loaded or not at anyone. So I have erred and had one in the chamber.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Not trying to make anyone mad but if you want can you please debate somwhere else?

This thread should be a memorial, cant imagine how his parents feel, my condalinces go out to his friends and family

That is a pure shame. My prayers go out to this young mans family. A true travesty.

I do not hunt with one in the chamber!