Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible world record AL griz at Bass Pro

Default Possible world record AL griz at Bass Pro

Bass Pro shops is about a mile from my house in Mesa, AZ. This afternoon I walked over to see a new mount of a griz and some redhead salmon. The plaque read that this may be a world record AK griz harvested by Mike Miller, guided by Rocky someone, and taxidermy by an outfit (I forgot the name) in Anchorage. Anyone aware of this mount? If needed I can go over and take some photos to post.

Maybe the guide was Rocky McKelveen, never hunted with him but he guides out of SW Alaska. Was the taxidermy shop Tall Tales Taxidermy or Knight's Taxidermy?

I didn't know they had grizzlies in Alabama

Bow or rifle? SCI, BC, or PY? It isn't official until it's been measured by the committee for the book.

I haven't heard anything yet. Did it have the measurements on the plaque?

probably be rocky mentioned above, heard rumor of a monster they got a while back
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Whew . . . I was hoping I wasn't the only one.

Of course, I've almost had several items I've ordered by phone end up in Alabama when the operators put AL for the state.

Rocky was advertising on his website a possible new record bear taken form his camp, maybe 2006 or spring 2007. Mke Miller, the hunter, is a professional baseball player. See the bear at Rocky's web site.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose View Post
    Rocky was advertising on his website a possible new record bear taken form his camp, maybe 2006 or spring 2007. Mke Miller, the hunter, is a professional baseball player. See the bear at Rocky's web site.
    Never heard of Mike Miller...you sure it's not Mike Moore, a former pro baseball player (pitcher for the Oakland As)? He's hunted with Rocky before, Rocky wrote about it in his book...

Only reason Mike Moore's name rings a bell is, that also happens to be MY name; and we're about the same age, so when he was drafted by the As, my family in Alaska got all excited - I had to break it to them that it wasn't me...

Yep, you're right mdhunter. It was Mike Moore.

B&C just recognized a new world record griz skull. It was not TAKEN, tho, it was found. Picked up near Lone Mt. Alaska. The official measurement is 27 and 13/16ths. I would be very surprised to see a skull break that measurement.
    If this guide is advertising "world record" he needs to cough up the skull measurement.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It's on his website and I can tell you....it's not 27 13/16ths, it's 2/16th's bigger than the current record holder.

Default Rocky's site?

Can someone post rocky's website? I couldn't find it.

Tim

Default Rocky's website

Here you go:
    http://www.rockymcelveen.com/

I'll bet you never knew it'd be that easy... EASY BUTTON PUSHED!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Never heard of Mike Miller...you sure it's not Mike Moore, a former pro baseball player (pitcher for the Oakland As)? He's hunted with Rocky before, Rocky wrote about it in his book...

Only reason Mike Moore's name rings a bell is, that also happens to be MY name; and we're about the same age, so when he was drafted by the As, my family in Alaska got all excited - I had to break it to them that it wasn't me...
    Or are you talking about Mike Moore, the one drafted by the Seattle Mariners? He played a few years in Oakland (my team) - I think '89-92 maybe? But was drafted by Seattle in early '80's (1980? 1981?).

Green score of 27 and 4/16ths. More than likely will shrink to below the 27 and 2/16ths that was the world record.
    If you read the paragraph on the Alaskan Adventures website, it says the bear was taken a mile south of the line that B&C uses to divide the interior griz bears and the coastal browns. So officially this bear must be recorded with the coastal browns. That means no new record.
    Might be different in the SCI book tho.
    Also, if you look at the pic on the Alaskan Adventures site of them measuring the hide, you can obviously see the hide is tacked down to the lawn and one guy is really pulling on the hide to get the longest possible measurement. Rocky obviously wants to get his money's worth out of his stories!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Or are you talking about Mike Moore, the one drafted by the Seattle Mariners? He played a few years in Oakland (my team) - I think '89-92 maybe? But was drafted by Seattle in early '80's (1980? 1981?).
    You're right jmg - it was that Mike Moore. I forgot he started in Seattle before going to Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Maybe the guide was Rocky McKelveen, never hunted with him but he guides out of SW Alaska. Was the taxidermy shop Tall Tales Taxidermy or Knight's Taxidermy?
    Rocky McKelveen is who the plaque cites and it was Knight's Taxidermy.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

Bow or rifle? SCI, BC, or PY? It isn't official until it's been measured by the committee for the book.

I haven't heard anything yet. Did it have the measurements on the plaque?

I can see that I am in error with the fat fingers, You know that I meant to hit the K and missed by a little.

Default World Record Griz

The hunter was Mike Moore, (baseball player), the Outfitter was Rocky McElveen, can't remember the guides name. Rocky & Mike invited me to the original unveiling which was to take place on March 3rd @ Bass Pro Shop, Meza but had it postponed until just recently. If you have any questions , e-mail Rocky, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to answer them.

You know that I meant to hit the K and missed by a little.
    Yep..that's why that smiley was at the end of my sentence.

So it appears that this bear is not a worlds record after all, still, that's one hell of an interior bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast