Thread: Compost Heaps and Bears

Question Compost Heaps and Bears

I've been hoping to start a compost heap this summer, but my wife is convinced that it will attract bears (we're about 1/4 mile away from the border of Chugach State Park and have plenty nearby). I'm thinking that if we only compost plant matter that it won't be an issue, but I might be wrong here. Thoughts?

Do it just like you planned no food you won't have a problem. That is what I do. I live in the heart of 16b and have never had a problem with bears in the compost pile.
    Chuck

Keep your citrus and bannana peels out as well never had a bear come in until orange peels and bannana peels were put in tore up only that one bin ate the fruit and have not been back since.

Brian

We haven't had any troubles with our two bins and we do have bears around us, we put everything in it, including coffee grinds, bananas, egg shells, shredded newspaper you name it its in there. But we do have a lot of rabbit/chicken manure along with any stray/hay on top of it and are always stirring it all up. I have found that most bears wont stick around if your compost bin is "hot" enough...they stick a paw in it, and it catches them off guard if your doing it right
    We have had problems with the moose getting into it. They love the hay/straw.....

If your interested your welcome to some of our manure to help you get started....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    If your interested your welcome to some of our manure to help you get started....
    That there is quite an offer What a friend you must be
    Brian, funny thing about the bears here...they try to get in the truck to get my fish-smell infested raingear, but they don't bother the banana peelings and such. Of course the grass clippings go in there and there are more weed and pushki clippings than grass so there is a relatively low percentage of "food" in the mixture.

Default Outside Wasilla

Never really had a bear problem here. The neighbor did call this spring that one was in a tree next door, didn't bother anyone. My compost is mainly potato peels, veggie scraps and then I have last years leaves and the grass clippings. When my friends give me s**t It goes in there too!
    It stays hot as long as I keep it turned and wet. never have had a stray dog or moose or bear in it. now the cats in the dirt pile another story!

Buck,

You know it! It takes a great friend to give you crap. I still have a bunch left if anyone needs some! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    That there is quite an offer What a friend you must be
    Brian, funny thing about the bears here...they try to get in the truck to get my fish-smell infested raingear, but they don't bother the banana peelings and such. Of course the grass clippings go in there and there are more weed and pushki clippings than grass so there is a relatively low percentage of "food" in the mixture.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"