Thread: Would like to ride out near Peters creek?!

On an acre of land with great views of Mat Peak and Pioneer Peak in Palmer Alaska

Default Would like to ride out near Peters creek?!

Hello,
    We're new to 4 wheelin' and would like to ride out Peters Creek area. Can anyone give us direction on where to go i.e. maps, area, conditions etc.? We rode out near Coyote Lakes two days ago... it was great! Also we rode Eklutna yesterday, fantastic as well. Anyway, thanks for the info..

On an acre of land with great views of Mat Peak and Pioneer Peak in Palmer Alaska

Default Anyone with information on Petersville riding?

Oops....Newbie here...I guess its petersville not peters creek I am inquiring about. Anyway, any good areas or information regarding riding in and around Petersville let me know.
    Thanks!

Petersville is a very easy ride to find, as it's just about all on a dirt road. The road heads west from Trappers Creek (roughly 110 miles up the Parks Hwy from Anchorage). If you follow it for about 10 miles, there's a large parking lot on your right, which is where most people park.

About another 7 miles down is a Roadhouse, and a fork in the road. The left fork will lead over a bridge, but then the trail quickly gets quite boggy. The right fork, however, is the main road. From the Roadhouse, it's about another 20 miles to Petersville proper, which is only a collection of about a half dozen mostly uninhabited buildings. Just beyond that, however, is a pretty canyon. Beyond the Canyon a few miles you start to pass some cabins, and before long the trail passes through the creek, since the bridges are washed out.

All told , you can easily make a 50-80 mile round trip out of it. The area is quite stunning in fall colors, and it is also very popular with hunters.

Approx. Mile 114 of the Parks Highway you will reach Trapper Creek. Petersville Road turns left off the Parks Highway. It is the only paved road in the area. Follow it back about 17 miles to the Kroto Creek Parking lot. You can unload there and follow the road in from that point.

I haven't been up there lately, but you can bet there is still mucho snow back past the Roadhouse.

It may be too early for this but:

Be careful getting off in the muskeg. If you go in early when the ground is frozen and try to come out after it thaws..... it could be ugly.

Default Petersville Ride...

Thanks everyone, we'll call out to the roadhouse for a conditions check, download some topos and see what comes next. I appreciate the assistance. Always open for some good ridin tips!
    Chelle