Thread: On the serious side.

Default On the serious side.

You should practice what you preach. As a Bow Hunter Ed. instructor I tell everyone about the use of safety belts. Well on Sat. I was placing a stand about 12-15 feet up a spruce out on PWS. I was having trouble with the chain and one little limb. I fought it for about 5 minutes and almost had it. Almost! As gravity decided that I should not be in the tree.

I managed to push the stand aside and push back. This avoided the treesteps on the way down. How my body and mind remembered a parachute roll from back in 1969, I'll never know. But I tucked, pulled the arms in and prepared for meeting Mother Earth. The impact was pretty good, feet first and then I rolled landing on my back. Plush moss and rotten vegetation helped cushion the landing. I missed the stand and the two tree steps in my pockets behaved.

I laid there for a minute of two, looking up at my partner whose mouth was wide open hanging in another tree. I could envision him thinking about what I might of broken. Everything seemed all right so I relaxed a minute before going back to hanging the treestand.

So far, I feel 2" shorter, insides hurt from the jaring, one knee is not happy, both legs hurt and I have been a little nauseous all day. Not bleeding from any port of entry or exit, so that is good too. I will do an inventory of pains and if something does not seem to be correcting itself just might visit the doctor tomorrow.

So learn from my mistake guys and gals. It only takes a second to make a mistake. Even if you are the preacher. My safety belt was sitting right with my archery gear ready to go. My marine radio was right along side those supplies too. As in the past, I have hung all the stands on my own.

Live and learn....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Glad to hear you ar ok. I know a guy down south (MN.) who didn't have as much luck last year when he fell out a tree stand getting ready for deer season. He broke his back. I fell out of one once and was lucky to fall on my back in about 24-inches of fresh snow....it felt like I landed on a big fluffy pillow.

Default too close

good to hea your ok. but, nausea is a common side effect to a concussive syndrome accident. just watch yourself and seek medical care if you start to vomit or have headaches. glad to see you remember a good PLF. tuck and roll.

I was shooting at the Redding Trail Shoot in California last week and met one of the Mathews Archery Pro shooters. He fell out of a tree stand nearly a year ago and is still just getting to the point he can walk. Consider yourself very lucky

Glad to hear you're not badly hurt... or worse. Good advice. I was in Ontario one year when a 23-year old hunter from another camp fell from a tree stand. He was air lifted to Toronto with a broken back. Days later we heard that he was paralized from his waist down and would most likely never walk again. Hard to imagine.... 23 years old and unable to ever walk again.

Hope you continue to feel better Dave.

Default Four Days

It has been four days. My insides have stopped hurting mostly and the lower back is about normal (normal for me is some pain all the time). The calf muscles are less stiff finally and I can walk a lot better. I must have caught one treestep on the way down as I can not account for the two bruises under my right arm.

It has been an awakening. As well as learning experience that I have parts of my body that I have never felt pain in before.

The good news is I can still hit the archery target at 50 yards.

Glad your ok and to hear that its nothing but some bruises and soreness. Could have been much worse. You were very fortunate.

Dave, I'm glad you are feeling better, and thanks for sharing publicly even though it meant tasting a slice of humble pie. I think most of us benefit from a reminder now-and-then. Too easy to get complacent doing something I've done repeatedly without a problem. My confidence with my climbing tree stand has lately led me to climb into position before attaching myself to the tree.......I know better. Thanks again.

Mike

Wish you a speedy recovery
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Gary

Luckily I have youth, great physical conditioning and a sense of humor on my side to get over it. I need to take a picture next time out just "for the record".

Bow is going to the stand on Sat. for the first time. Still lots of snow and it is snowing on the mountain across from the house tonight.

Glad it wasn't serious. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post

The good news is I can still hit the archery target at 50 yards.
    You are a better man than I am Dave!
    No way I'd be able to hit the target @ 50 yds after a fall like that!!
    Heck, I'm doing good to keep them all on the plate @ 35 yds with my recurve without a fall!
    Good luck next week.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Dave,

Let me try this again. I just read my last post, and apparently writing clearly isn't so easy while taking pain meds (knee surgery on Tues). Geez!

Thank you for the post. It reminded me to be careful and to heed your advise.

Good luck this weekend.
    Mike

Glad to hear your ok dave , sorry to hear it happened though

Big falls can be a bummer- i sure was sore last year after falling 20ft from a window, luckily didnt have any broken bones either

glad ya can still hunt too

Default Thanks

Dave I want to thank you for this post. The afternoon I was going to move my tree stand and when I got there I found that I had left my safety harness at home. Started to climb up and take it down anyway. Then I thought of this post so I just left it there and will move it next time. You might have prevented me from falling.

Default here is one

My long time hunting buddy from nebraska and i grew up hunting from trees. Never needing those pesky safety belts. Well his wife finally convinced him to get one and insisted he wear it. He was hunting one day just standing on his stand when he started to feel a little under the weather. A while later he recalled his mid section really hurting. Opening his eyes he realized that he had passed out or fainted and was actually hanging upside down below his treestand. The "pain" in his midsection was his belt digging into him. He managed to haul himself upright and back to safety but it was lucky he had on that belt