Thread: Spring Stargazing

Default Spring Stargazing

Not sure if anyone else here enjoys stargazing, but I was wondering how visibility is this time of year. On the one hand, the late sunsets tell me you can't see much until very early in the morning. On the other hand, the near complete lack of human light pollution makes me think there's still some good watching to be had. So how is it this time of year in the backcountry?

Eagle River & McCarthy Alaska

Default pretty dark

It's 1:30 AM here in Eagle River and it's pretty darn dark.

That said, if you want to see stars you will have to stay up later than 11:00 PM. The days are getting longer faster and in a few weeks it won't ever get really dark dark... at all.

Summer is not the star gazing season up here.

Guided Alaskan Backpacking Adventures

Author of Hiking Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
    published by Falcon Guides

Certainly right now on a clear night you will have great star viewing, but very soon there will be such a small window it won't even be worth it. I love going later in the summer and fall when night comes early and cold. Probably my favorite time of year.

The best stargazing by far is on a mountain peak far away from any city or town, being high up and away from any artificial light is awesome. I swear the view from 5000 feet elevation is better than the view from sea level in the same area. (But maybe thats just cause youre camping out at 5000+ on a beautiful night in Alaska!)

Knik-Fairview, Alaska

It's too late for stargazing in the Interior already. It's pretty much light all the time now, even though the sun is technically down for about 4-1/2 hours. Personally, I think late Fall is the best time for stargazing ...and northern lights are visible often too.