Thread: Super Blackhawk locking up?

Default Super Blackhawk locking up?

Hey guys,

Went down to shoot my new-to-me super blackhawk in .44 last weekend. Every few shots the base pin would pop loose, causing the cylinder to freeze up. Every time it'd do this I'd have to pop it back in. It would be in tight and by the 3-4 shot it would work itself loose again.

Anyone know why this is happening? Easy fix or do I need to send it back to Ruger?

The loads were not high pressure or anything like that, just cheapie blazer ammo.

Thanks,

Jon

Default base pin blues

How old is the gun? Does the groove in the base pin look like it has wear? That is the usual reason for this happening. If so, go a new base pin from Ruger or Bent Mountain.

Red face base pin wear

Yes, it does seem to have some wear, and the pin itself has a bit of wiggle room when seated.

I just checked the man. date and according to ruger it was manufactured in 1975. (Wow! wayyyy older than I am!)

Does anyone know if I can simply have Ruger send me a new one without them charging me an arm and a leg? Also, does anyone know if Ruger has a program set up like Glock, where you can send it in and they'll check it over/replace needed items for free??

Also, I'm new to Ruger revolvers, should the base pin come out completely (like removed entirely from the firearm) on all models or should it just slide out far enough for the cylinder to be removed? My Dad's single six has a removable base pin, but the super blackhawk doesn't. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help!

Jon

Default Common?

I had the same problem with an Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Even right after I got it back from the factory (transfer bar conversion and new front sight). After some research on other forums, it appears this is a very common problem with Ruger Blackhawks. So I ordered and finally received a Belt Mt oversize replacement base pin. Will install it tonight. I ordered from Brownell's, about $20 plus shipping.

One word of caution if you order from Brownells. Their website doesn't make it real clear which model you need. Some have a knurled end, some have a locking allen screw. Some are for the Old Model, some for new. Turns out that my Old Model with transfer bar conversion needed the New Model base pin. Even their tech experts weren't sure what I needed.

So I got the locking version with the allen screw, just for some added insurance. Should take care of the problem, I'm excited to shoot it this weekend!

One other note - I had already tried the extra-strength Wolff spring kit in my first attempt to fix the problem. Not a bad mod, but didn't take care of the problem. Take the plunge and buy the base pin.

Chris

Default Belt Mountain

Not Bent Mountain. I got a slightly over-sized base pin from them that slid right in, without any work. They are good quality. If you have a fresh base pin in the gun, fitting properly, a screw in type isn't necessary and then you won't need a screwdriver to slide the pin out. On the Super Blackhawk, the base pin shouldn't come all the way out unless you remove the ejector rod housing.

Post your question at

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/

On the Super Blackhawk, the base pin shouldn't come all the way out unless you remove the ejector rod housing.
    I have not experiance for the super blackhawk but, on the old model blackhawk (7.5") the rod is removable with out removing the ejector housing.

You may just need a new base pin latch spring. I also had one years ago that the hole for the base pin latch wasnt deep enough, causing the base pin to ride over it when shooting, locking the gun up when trying to cock it. Deepening the latch hole fixed it.