Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor Launch (where Do I Get Trailer Guides?)

Default Tractor Launch (where Do I Get Trailer Guides?)

Does anyone know where I can get those trailer guides required for the tractor launch in deep creek/anchor point? I called trailercraft and six robblees and neither of them seemed to have any, and we are supposed to go next weekend.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

In Soldotna, A-one has them, and River and Sea marine also have them. In anchorage, I thought Alaska Mining and Diving had them, and West Marine.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get those trailer guides required for the tractor launch in deep creek/anchor point? I called trailercraft and six robblees and neither of them seemed to have any, and we are supposed to go next weekend.
    try Marita for bolt on type

Default Don't shoot me

Dewey's

Also how about make your own?????

I got mine from Cabela's. Shipping was unusually cheap as well. that really surprised me. I got them in less then a week.

Default I'd love to

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Dewey's

Also how about make your own?????
    But I can't weld

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    But I can't weld
    I can weld.....sometimes pretty too. Just need the square tube, flat plate, ubolts, guide material, cold zinc and some carpeting and we can make them look store bought.

PM if you want to give it a go. I can steal some off a friend's trailer for a model.

I picked some up from West Marine `cause I was in a hurry...they had 2 models in stock.

Default West Marine

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I picked some up from West Marine `cause I was in a hurry...they had 2 models in stock.
    Do you know the part numbers? I called and the woman who answered told me to search the catalog and call back with a part number, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I couldn't find them in the catalog, just some lighted things that stick up.

Default Another question

I hate to keep replying to my own thread, but does anyone know how high they have to be?

Default height

they need to come up 3/4 the side of you boat. On my wooldridge, they come up to just underneath the logo, sameway on a friends weldcraft.
    good luck

Mine are about 3/4 as well. I haven`t a clue on the part# or price.

Default Thank you for the info, but

It's a mute point now. I need to find a welder because although I found a pair at AK mining and diving and another place, they all bold on to the frame of the trailer. You can't get to the frame because there is a step that sticks out, welded to the frame that goes all the way back.
    Man I found a few wleders that work for 100 dollars an hour shop time, but both of them are tied up for weeks.
    At this point unless I can find a welder that has time this week I will launch out of Homer or out of the Anchor River which might be tough with my motor home.

Default I have some new trailer guides

I have a set of brand new, never installed trailer guides, from Overton's I think, they are sitting in Valdez if you need them. They are bolt on, though.

Ron

Default Guides

I used some 2" al pipe. 2 1/2" al angle, 2 1/2" pvc, and some 2" U bolts to make a trailer guide. The 2 1/2" PVC fits over the 2" al pipe to protect the boat. I made the L type bracket at my house and just cut it to lenght when I got to Valdez.

First, just to differentiate between "guides" and "rails"... the tractors want full side bunk rails, not just a simple pipe guide at the rear corners of your trailer (unless they've changed their policy recently).

If you can't find a welder in Anchorage that will fit you in for a 30-minute job, then start calling the welders in the Soldotna area and get it done on your way down. You can have all the other parts ready in advance. You'll need 2 each 2x6 bunk boards. Generally, the $3 stud-length stuff from the big-box home stores is plenty good enough. You'll need enough scrap carpeting to cover the face and wrap around the sides of both boards. You'll need enough nails to attach the carpet to the boards... which you can do in advance and have them ready to go (most welders don't particularly like doing that part anyway).

If the welder has the metal material on his rack, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you'll need enough heavy-wall rectangular tubing or pipe of about 2" diameter to make 4 posts from the trailer frame up about 3/4 the side of your boat. The welder may attach a couple short pieces of angle to each side of the top of these posts to make easier attachment for the bunk rails, which you'll put in place using carriage bolts. While holding the bunk rail where it needs to be, he'll mark and cut the bottom of the posts to match the angle/surface of the trailer, then it's a quick matter of grinding off some paint and welding the posts in place. If you have a galvanized trailer, that presents a little additional issue that the welder should be fully aware of and take appropriate precautions. A quick blast of rattle-can spray paint over the weld and exposed metal areas, bolt on the rails, and you're heading for the beach.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Done

It's almost done. Thank you Dupont Spinner for the hook-up. Now all I have to do is finish installing my GPS reciever, my downriggers, get my anchor system set up, rig rods, pack for a week, and a million other things...
    Thanks for all the information, they are finishing the custom job right now, I'm going to pick it up. They are full rails and go over the height of the sides.

Default U-bolts ??

I am doing the same kind of thing & was wondering about the Ubolts. The ones currently on the trailer (3" tubing) are 4" wide & 1/2" dia washer & lock nut. I couldn't find any that big of dia. at Fastners & Fire or Home Depot. So I had Alaska Spring make up 8 which ran over $100. Tonight whlile adjusting the bunks & winch stand I broke 3 more as they have nylon lock nuts on them & are rusted, impossible to get the nylocks off with out breaking off the ubolt. Do I suck it up & spend the $ for more at ak spring ( the 8 I bought are for when I make the guides ) or will the smaller thinner ones at hardware store work fine ?

check west marine they have a few types of square bend u-bolts, they just do not have the sizes listed.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...LTokenURL=true
    hope i helped. another few places : trailer craft,six robbles.jeff

Default thanks

Forgot about the trailer shops, sometimes you get so wrapped up in the idea you forget the obviouis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast