Thread: GPS/Sonar Unit Reviews

Default GPS/Sonar Unit Reviews

What combo GPS w/ sonar units under $1500 are you guys using? Looking for advice/ratings of mid priced units that work up to 1000-1500 feet.

My Garmin GPSMAP 178 loses bottom and won't recover for a very long time. Bought a new transducer per the Garmin Tech line and still poor performance. GPS function is also going bad. Done messing around, ready to kick down on a new unit.

Gugs

Default Lowrance

My brother bought a Lowrance LMS-337C DF. It too loses the bottom under heavy turbulence for the digital depth; however, if you select manual chart depth, then run it down to say 100 fathoms or whatever you feel works for your current depth, you'll see the line form where you're at while waiting for the digital to catch up, then switch back to auto depth chart again.

I have a question for all you out there too. I cannot find how to get the depth soundings on the GPS map to show in fathoms, it only shows feet. The sonar side has a selection for feet or fathoms so no prob there. I've been on hold now with Lowrance for nearly an hour. Anyone else have this prob., solved? Ideas?

Losing the bottom when under way is a common thing especially with deeper water. This happens because of bottom turbulence causing air bubles to form at or near the transducer. If a transom transducer try running it lower and angled slightly forward(rear down) to help improve your readings. If a bottom transducer try cleaning and waxing the bottom forward of the transducer. Also try a good cleaning on the transducer to help reduce air bubbles on the transducer(wax???). Also check your fairing blocks.

The new Garmin 400/500 series are nice and you can still transfer/use alot of your old data from your 178.

I was going to tell you to send Garmin your 178 but it is getting a little dated...so an update would not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gugs View Post
    GPS function is also going bad. Done messing around, ready to kick down on a new unit.

Gugs
    I've noticed the past few days, that my Garmin 182 is screwing up. I'll be cruising along, look down, and notice that the GPS is off by anywhere from a couple hundred feet, to a mile. It says it's all locked onto the satellites, with 3D differential accuracy (I know they turned off the differential stuff, but that's the term on the GPS unit.)

It will fix itself after a couple minutes, leaving of course a strange 'bread crumb' trail on the display showing its error.

I was thinking about buying a new one too, but if this is happening to others, maybe it's just a GPS problem?

1. My sonar function loses bottom whether I am anchored or moving. It is really disapointing to sit anchored up and the things just quits.Transducer is brand new. (Bought new one per Garmin Tech recommendation)

2. Garmin will not fix this unit any longer. A just read another situation where a 4 year old Lowrance unit was non repairable.

3. GPS was putting me on dry land, then jumping around like a crazy etcha-sketch.... It looked like something was scrambling the GPS. This never happend last year.

Anyone use the Lowrance LCX-28c?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gugs View Post
    1. My sonar function loses bottom whether I am anchored or moving. It is really disapointing to sit anchored up and the things just quits.Transducer is brand new. (Bought new one per Garmin Tech recommendation)

2. Garmin will not fix this unit any longer. A just read another situation where a 4 year old Lowrance unit was non repairable.

3. GPS was putting me on dry land, then jumping around like a crazy etcha-sketch.... It looked like something was scrambling the GPS. This never happend last year.

Anyone use the Lowrance LCX-28c?
    Most times 2 to 3 years and GPS units get outdated. I just had a freind have his 182 sent in and they replaced his unit instead of repaired.

I had the scramble effect on my new Rino over the winter. I just dismissed it as an anomoly. I will have to watch my boat one's this summer. I wonder if you may/might have an antenna problem? Even when showing that you are tracking sats?

Definately alot of questions

I posted this awhile back. My Raymarine shows the Seward harbor to be off by many yards, putting me on dry land at the entrance. Its a square on the chartplotter's map of Seward that is off, Its good everywhere else. Your not alone.

Myers,

Sounds like the difference is that your error is constant, at least in one location, where the others are intermittent.

Have you tried switching datums?

There are a few problems with the combo units. First, unless you put out some serious $, the displays really aren't large enough to use them as gps and sonar at the same time. If the unit craps out, you loose navigation and sonar.

I'd say spring for a good color sonar unit, then upgrade the gps in the future.

sounds like good advice paul. What would you recommend as a good color sonar unit

I have the 178c and so far its still working. But the sonar really ticks me off in Whittier while trying to shrimp, with losing the bottom and not locking back in. I bought a Garmin 400c this winter and it sure seems to work good. At 25-30 mph it was reading bottom at 570-590 feet and never lost the bottom. And it shows bait real good so far.

TOMFISHHUNTER, that is exactly what is driving me nuts too. Trying to set pots blind is not fun. I had to set a pot string 3 times on Saturday until it finally landed on shallow enough water.... Took me almost 2 hours to set my five pots!!! I am done with with it and going to upgrade.

Gugs

Default Garmin 3210

I had a Garmin 3210 series bundle that included Radar and an extra sounder installed on my boat last year. It uses a main display that you can switch to Radar, Plotter,Sounder, or accomebination of each. It has a central junction that they all plug into. If the main display where to go out I would just take the 3006 I have on the back deck and move it up front. Most of the manufactures have gone to these they of units. They save space and should last longer. I think the bundle cost me $1500, Radar was $700, extra sounder plus transducer $600 and a stainless steel 1000 watt transducer was $1000.

I'm leaning towards the Furuno FCV585.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    sounds like good advice paul. What would you recommend as a good color sonar unit
    I have the garmin 498C sounder(which is now obsolete). Last year the sonar quit. I checked everything out, decided it was the transducer, so I replaced it. Next time out, it works great...then it quit again. The GPS part of the unit works just fine without the sounder. As far as accuracy goes, it claims 7.5 ft. it takes me right in the homer harbor. I called garmin with my problem and they replaced the whole unit for me free of charge, 1 year out of warranty. I was very pleased with the results, now the unit works perfectly and I am happy.( been nailing the butt too!). Whatever your choice is, good luck fishing!

i have had this problem in the past,on my gps sounder238 on loosing the bottom. i looked at the transducer and found that the water had loosened it and it tends to flop upward losing the bottom because of the angle. ordered a new transducer and after a year it did the same thing. i let the boat dry out and glued the tab on 1 side. now i only loose the bottom at over 1200' or going 30 mph in deep water. just my experiance, check your transducer.jeff

Default I have

a Lowrance 3500C. Strictly a GPS unit because I already have a Hummingbird 3-D Fish finder which goes to 1000ft in single mode.

I am very happy with my Lowrance and seems to hold up to all the punishment my river boat can dish out.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I have the Garmin - GPSMAP 276C Chartplotter GPS on its way in the mail right now hope it will work good for me, i'll update after a trial run.