Thread: Pwsac

Default Pwsac

I was wondering if anyone on the board works for, or has worked for the pwsac? It will be my first time traveling to AK, where I will be working for this group. Im just looking to meet some people before I make the trek.

-Bt

Quote Originally Posted by bassturd View Post
    I was wondering if anyone on the board works for, or has worked for the pwsac? It will be my first time traveling to AK, where I will be working for this group. Im just looking to meet some people before I make the trek.

-Bt
    I guess i can say i'm a part owner of PWSAC, i gillnet in the sound and i pay part of my income to keep them going . What hatchery will you be working at?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I guess i can say i'm a part owner of PWSAC, i gillnet in the sound and i pay part of my income to keep them going . What hatchery will you be working at?

I will be working at AFK on evans island. After doing some research, it seems the hatcheries are a bit of a sour note on this board.

Im excited to travel to alaska. Its one of the most beautiful places ive ever seen in picture. Cant wait!

I will be working at AFK on evans island. After doing some research, it seems the hatcheries are a bit of a sour note on this board.

Im excited to travel to alaska. Its one of the most beautiful places ive ever seen in picture. Cant wait!
    So you'll be making humpies(pink salmon). They might be sour on the hatcheries but it sure doesn't bother anyone to go to the Main Bay hatchery and snag red salmon . Enjoy yourself, work hard and bring your hiking stuff & of course the fishing gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So you'll be making humpies(pink salmon). Enjoy yourself, work hard and bring your hiking stuff & of course the fishing gear.

I will most certainly do all of those... but this also leads to a few questions.

whats the weather like during this time period? (aug-oct) I understand that the weather can change dramatically in a short notice within pws. or so I have read.

another question... any suggestions on lures? I noticed a lake, san juan lake?, that seems to be about a mile inland of AFK. (google earth) im not sure if its salt or fresh water, but im hoping to catch a few fish out of it. im open to all types of fishing, so i plan to catch as many species as possible, just to get the experience and store up some fish stories for the folks here in michigan. shoot, Im willing to sit in on a net building lesson just to learn and give shrimp/crab fishing a go.

...man i love shrimp...

what? oh, sorry. just drifted off for a second.

so have you done any fishing in sawmill bay?

I hate to tell you but shrimp are personal use for residents only. But there might be a sport crab season in PWS. The anouncement did not define whether it was sport, personal use, subsistance, or all three.

I will most certainly do all of those... but this also leads to a few questions.

whats the weather like during this time period? (aug-oct) I understand that the weather can change dramatically in a short notice within pws. or so I have read.

another question... any suggestions on lures? I noticed a lake, san juan lake?, that seems to be about a mile inland of AFK. (google earth) im not sure if its salt or fresh water, but im hoping to catch a few fish out of it. im open to all types of fishing, so i plan to catch as many species as possible, just to get the experience and store up some fish stories for the folks here in michigan. shoot, Im willing to sit in on a net building lesson just to learn and give shrimp/crab fishing a go.

...man i love shrimp...

what? oh, sorry. just drifted off for a second.

so have you done any fishing in sawmill bay?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I hate to tell you but shrimp are personal use for residents only. But there might be a sport crab season in PWS. The anouncement did not define whether it was sport, personal use, subsistance, or all three.

thanks. I plan on keeping up with the alaska regs as much as possible. why do you have a regulation on shrimp? is this resource over-fished otherwise?

Question Shrimp in PWS

I could be wrong, but shrimp in PWS should be a sport fishery so if you are in PWS you should be able to shrimp as a nonresident?

Shrimp in PWS is open to sport fishing. Look on page 63:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tral/SCpws.pdf

Shrimp in the North Gulf Coast is open only to personal use fishing. Personal use fishing is not open to non-residents.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tral/SCngc.pdf

Tanner and golden king crab will be open in PWS to subsistence fishing on October 1. Subsistence fishing is not open to non-residents.
    http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...e_crabNR01.pdf

Tanner crab will be open in Kachemak Bay to subsistence, personal use and sport fishing on July 15:
    http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...8tcrabnr01.pdf

why are certain areas regulated? are these regulations only set for shrimp and crab, or does it affect other species of fish/sea life?

would i be correct in assuming it has to do with where the different species breed or generally populate?

you shouldn't have a problem catching humpies, you might have some good coho and halibut fishing. For halibut stuff get some kodiak custom tackle jigs and for silvers trolling herring, spoons, hootchies, whatever you just gotta get under the pinks.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

why are certain areas regulated? are these regulations only set for shrimp and crab, or does it affect other species of fish/sea life?

would i be correct in assuming it has to do with where the different species breed or generally populate?
    You'll find that Alaska's fisheries are highly regulated. If you can, go download a copy of the regs for Prince William Sound and read, re-read, and re-read them again before you get here. Once you're here, carry them at all times while afield. They can change from river to river quite significantly.

The fisheries are regulated here because Alaska had the good fortune of learning from other states' mistakes. Most fisheries are healthy and plentiful, and we want them to stay that way. Limits and methods are based on population, harvestable surplus, spawning dates, angler pressure, biology, politics, etc. etc. etc. It's not a perfect system and it can be complicated to figure out what is allowed where and when, but it's the price to pay for such a healthy fishery.

The lake above the hatchery has a bunch of cut throat. At least I recall that they are cutts. Bring your light weight rod for those guys and they will keep you busy.

Brian M, I was hoping you would jump in on this thread, as ive noticed on other threads you seem to be pretty knowledgeable and willing to share. I keep a pretty clean fishing log and with it I always carry a current regulations book. I plan on doing the same thing when I make the trip. Its understandable to have such tight regulations. You bring up a good point... Other states have helped in molding the AK regs, maybe now the tables can be turned and other states can learn from you guys. I know I would like to see better regulations here in michigan. it seems like everything is over fished, and though we have stocking in many of our great assortment of lakes and rivers, we have folks who regularly go over limit, waist catches and in many places have a lack of respect for the land. Im not speaking of all michigan fisherman, but the actions by those that dont care severely effect our resources. (people seem to forget about the future and just focus on themselves at those very moments)

Whiskeypete, thanks for the tip on the lake. Is google earth correct in naming it San Juan Lake? Ive found many locations wrongfully labeled on that program. I cant wait to sink some line on those cutthroat.

I was doing some research and found that the AFK hatchery claims seventeen acres within its properties. Does this acreage extend into the waters of sawmill bay? Does it also include the aforementioned San Juan Lake?

thanks for the replies everyone... greatly appreciated!