Thread: Lake Louise kayaking

Default Lake Louise kayaking

Is Lake Louise a good lake to do an extended kayaking trip on? Looks like a pretty nice, extensive system, with the 3 connected large lakes. I imagine there's good fishing, are there campsites along the lakes? Is there a lot of private property? Ay info would be handy.

Lake Louise can become very rough very fast. It made my boat seem very small. Be prepared to spend the night (or 2) in case you get trapped. I know a guy that spent 3 days under a tarp.

Alot of the shore is private property. The northern beach is very nice to camp on and is public property. Please respect private property.

Fishing is spotty. Some nice fish when you can find them and they are in the mood to hit.

Very little firewood available.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Lake Louise can become very rough very fast. It made my boat seem very small. Be prepared to spend the night (or 2) in case you get trapped. I know a guy that spent 3 days under a tarp.

Alot of the shore is private property. The northern beach is very nice to camp on and is public property. Please respect private property.

Fishing is spotty. Some nice fish when you can find them and they are in the mood to hit.

Very little firewood available.
    Thanks for the tips. What about the other two lakes that connect to Lake Louise? Are they similar to Lake Louise? I've also heard you can float both ways down the Tyrone River all the way to the Susitna River, as it flows pretty slow.

Susitna seems a bit tamer. I have found that if Susitna is rough, Lake Louise will be rougher.

I am not an expert. I have not been more than 1/2 mile down the Tyone River where it leaves Tyone Lake. It is very shallow for a jetboat with some big rocks. If you try Tyone river to the Susitna, remember that Devils Canyon is Class VI rapids. Don't miss your turn.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default tyone

looks like the sign can use some paint . dirts right about louise kicking up. it can get real nasty out there pretty fast. i do believe you could paddle down and back up the tyone. there is one small set of rapids a mile or so down and ive only been a couple miles down so not too sure about any hazards. fishing is good with burbot in tyone river and grayling to boot. troll or jig for lakers in the lakes.

Default tyone

Have been down all the way to the big sue in a canoe with a motor an back & up, the river it is a fairley smooth , a couple of spots of fast water real short, the problem you will have is lack of wate in most years , some years I have made it down an back with out pulling the canoe up the river, but few an far between for thoes years, good luck

SID