Thread: Kroto Creek/Deshka Float

Default Kroto Creek/Deshka Float

Can you drive a 4 wheel drive pickup to the put in on oilwell road or do you need an ATV? Also what is the parking situation like there, as I have heard there is a lot of private property.

Planning on doing this trip from 20-23 June.

Also, does anyone have any riverboat service reccomendations to pick me up at the mouth of the Deshka. Had a few people reccomend Ron's Riverboat service. Any thoughts on them? Thanks for your help.

Cody

I can't help you on the pick up but I will post a report after my memorial day float. My understanding is that there is a parking lot at moose creek on oilwell road and that the road is driveable.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You can drive a truck to Kroto but there isnt much room to park at kroto on Oilwell and there is alot of private property around there. There is lots of room off of Petersville road to park but that would add another day or 2 to the float.

Default Right on

So do most people float from the Petersville or park at Moose creek and walk the five? miles to Kroto. We only have four days to float to the mouth and adding those extra miles to Petersville I fear would be cutting it close. I have an 18' AIRE Cat and it doesn't move too quick. Maybe I'll take a mountain bike or something to ride back to Kroto. How big is the parking lot at Moose creek?

Is there a way to pay the locals at the Kroto bridge? So many questions....I know. There just isn't a lot published about this river or this float.

Cody

Question Bears

Also what is the black to Grizz ratio on that float? I just swore a little when I reread the regulations today and realized the season for Grizz closes on 31 May. So they'll be hunting me instead of me hunting them on my float? It's under predator control for Black bears, so I'm guessing that means there is a pretty healthy population and chances of seeing a few are good. I've been dying to get a nice rug made for the past couple of years and hope this will be the trip. From all I've heard from generous folks offering their knowledge on this site, this river is grade A+, right up town. I'm looking forward to this trip.

What to other folks use for tackle? I'm mostly a fly fisherman and am taking the general assortment of flesh patterns and tacky colored flies, with some smaller patterns and imitation eggs for rainbows. Also I'm gonna take my backbouncing rod with 25 lb test as well. Received some good reccomendations on lures from another fella, what do other people use? Anyone drift bait? Lots more questions, I just want to make sure I have everything covered.

And to those folks that have already provided tons of premium information, I just wanted to ask a few more folks and get some other ideas. Nothing against you all, you were all extremely helpful.

I would just try to park at Kroto and hope now one else is there, there is room for a couple trucks on a pullout on the right side. Theres a big bear population around there so im sure you will see something.

nymphs, mice and streamers in June, not flesh and eggs
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

right on, thanks for the help fellas, just made my reservation with Ron, he seems like a pretty nice guy

Default did you float the neil to the mouth of the deshka?

how was it?I;m going to attemp it in a zodiac with a 40 hp jet?

Default warning

Lots of two legged critters in that area, I wouldn't leave anything in the truck.

And for those that have not been that way for awhile the big Oil Well Road parking area at Moose Creek is gone.

Default zodiac

Archeryjazz...i have been up there a couple times in my 16' zodiac,,it also has a 40 horse jet.
    floated it once also..
    sent you a pm..

I have a cabin right next to the bridge,spent many days fishing and hunting in the area,i would say that kroto would be a real challage with a motor of any kind,you can float but expect to drag your raft more often then not,very low unless we get lots of rain. Moose creek is a better choice for a fun easy float,but like it's been said the parking is gone,and for kroto it's very limited,with one private land onwer that gets nasty if the moon is right......PM me if you want more info

Default have not bought the zodiac yet

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Archeryjazz...i have been up there a couple times in my 16' zodiac,,it also has a 40 horse jet.
    floated it once also..
    sent you a pm..
    just thought it would be a good thing to buy because it has a jet on it.maybe I'll buy it and go up it first.

Default what do you mean drag it?

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    I have a cabin right next to the bridge,spent many days fishing and hunting in the area,i would say that kroto would be a real challage with a motor of any kind,you can float but expect to drag your raft more often then not,very low unless we get lots of rain. Moose creek is a better choice for a fun easy float,but like it's been said the parking is gone,and for kroto it's very limited,with one private land onwer that gets nasty if the moon is right......PM me if you want more info
    how far?

Question call me @373-1317 WASILLA #OR 980-7492 ANCH#

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    LETS TALK RAFTING

Default floating

wow, didn't think this post would get people going again. I was going to float this for Kings but was about two hours before heading out the door when I heard they closed King fishing, so we floated the Gulkana that weekend instead. I've thought about doing this for Silvers this upcoming weekend. Anyone with some experience on Kroto think that is a good idea? Are there a lot of Chums and pinks that spawn up Kroto? Any help would be great. Thanks

Cody