Thread: Rem. Model 30

Default Rem. Model 30

Done abit of work cutting and welding a new lifter for a friends E-Tech and in kind I received .30-06, initially told the friend not to concern himself with any payment. Kind of glad he insisited-ha.

Done some research and what a historical and a highly commendable peice of history. This is among the top sought after rifle/actions there is. The condition received was one of neglect and in fact my friend just got it back from his cousin who did not care for it in regards as a carrying peice for hunting he preferred the other loaned Rem. 700 .30-06, suppose he did not like how inaccurate it could have possibly shot as the bore had seen alot of neglected times and the "cocking" on closing probably did not help either. Although it does "half" cock when opened and many don't realize it.

Conflicting veiwpoints on selling a collectable and/or keeping one and working it over and using it. In any case I figure in using it.

Here is my thoughts and I trust you fellas a heck of alot more than some in another forum.

Rebarrel to the .338-06, keeps action unalterd

restock with a nice peice of wood- to be determined later

retrigger-Timney sportsman

refinish-rustblue as in quite a few of the originals were done in this finish

irons--of course NECG but if I can find an older Lyman 48 for the receiver that will go on. front will be NECG in either case.

No milling of any metals caused by strppr clip use

I am not particularly moved to sell to any "collector" and do not believe any fine rifle should be "parked" in storage.

Relatively simple work to a fine action with good selection of bullets.

I don't have to ask anyone anything of what they think but you fellas are welcome. WOW! what a reality!

regards

oh yea still looking for some stripper clips and possibly a follower spring for this.

Makes one wish that them old guns could talk!

I think stripper clips for the 1917 Enfield should work in your Remington 30 as the 30 is just the comercial version of the Enfield!

Helluva an old action! Have fun with it!

The p-17 is considered slang due in part that there was at the time of use the p-14 in combat but in all actuallity it should have been referred to as the M1917. So many of them in stock and not in use that REM. threw on a barrel and a very simple and stained stock albeit with a grossly oversized shnable forend and and a cheekpeice. The seemingly original sites are a "must" for replacement even in this condition and caliber. Windage adjustable is necessary along with elevation.

Tried SARCO, Springfield Sporters.com, Numerichs and so far Springfield sporters list the mag. spring and stripper clips but they do not answer their ph.-kind of tough. Perhaps at a local gun show if someone would be so kind as to check for me.

thanks,

Default Remington Model 30

These are an interesting piece! After WWI, Remington still had in possession all of the tooling left over from the Pattern 14 (Brit)/US Model 1917 production, and the simple expedient of not using the protected receiver sight gave a decent profile to the receiver, took a lot of weight off and they didn't have to do a ton of development on a new commercial bolt action rifle.
    There are a couple of minor flaws to the design that you should know about.
    The ejector spring housed inside the bolt stop is a very very thin piece of flat spring that easily breaks, even in normal, non-abusive use. Several outfits make a replacement with a coil spring arrangement for less than ten bucks that is a must on these or any '17.
    As to a conversion, well, as with anything else of that vintage, you'd be better off leaving it as is. If the barrel is toast, I'd use a 1917 barrel or a replacement with another cartridge using the .473 rim size of the '06, and keep the original handy for when/if the time ever came to move it on to someone else.
    One other drawback to them is that the original stocks were built for iron sight use, so you'll feel a bit more recoil from it, and if you were to mount a scope, the comb isn't high enough to get a good cheek weld and use the scope at the same time. Seems like there's a couple of not-terribly-expensive glass and plastic stocks available now for the 17 with modified magazine that'd work just fine, and have a high enough comb for scope use, or even just more comfortable iron sight use. Again, if you went that route, keep the original in the corner with the take-off barrel.
    I believe that there are still some of the old 'speed lock' conversions hanging around that speeds up the lock time, but also converts them to cock on opening. I believe that Timney also still sells an adjustable trigger for these, but it also seems that one for an '03/03A3 will work with some very minor fitting.
    Your post reminded me that there's one of these sitting in Pocatello, and it's been languishing there at Doc's Gun Barn for at least four years. It originally was .257 Roberts, and someone punched the original barrel out to .25-06, and that's most likely why it hasn't moved off the rack. Might have to go down and dicker him out of it.....Take 'er easy!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Do not confuse the P-14 with a P-17 as they only look the same on the outside.

I have heard tell of the ejector spring - good pointer. Recoil is a subjective thing I suppose and it differs with each individual, .06 is easy enough. The stock I ordered is a cheapy to get by-B&C Carbelite classic.

I am not known to sell something of this nature and suspect it to go to the next hunting ground with me.

thanks,