Thread: round steak help

Default round steak help

I have quite a few round steaks left from last yrs moose. Usually I cut it up & use it in stews however, I am stewed out for now.
    Does anybody have any other recepies or ways to cook it, as traditionally if I just grill it its a little chewy.

Default Grill

I'll marinate round, chuck and other less choice cuts overnight using various types of marinade and put on the bbq. They're always good.

kingfisherktn

I get meat tenderizer. it is in the seasoning section of any store and really works. You sprinkle some on your steaks and let it sit on them and they will honest to goodness be tender. A frind of mine from Hawaii turned me on to this, the kind I get is made out of papaya so I don't worry about it being too toxic.

"round steak" thats what we called bologna as kids.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Chicken fried steak is one of our favorites. Pound it with a meat hammer a bit, then drench in flour/garlic salt combo, run it through a wet mixture of milk and a couple of eggs and then back into the flour mix. Pan fry in cooking oil till golden brown (don't overcook!). I usually use a large plate for the flour mix.

Swiss steak is another good recipe my mom makes too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post

Swiss steak is another good recipe my mom makes too.
    My mom makes the same thing with venison. Tastes great.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Phillies and fajitas

I half thaw mine and then shave em with a big sharp knife and flash brown em for phillie wraps or sandwiches, or add some mexican seasonings for fajitas...it's always better than the tongue and bung you get at a mexican restaurant!

Another great option is curries, again, slice em thin and stir fry them with the other stuff you put in there (options are infinite).

Thumbs up This makes me hungry

If you slice it thin it makes a killer stroganoff. There is a powder mix you can buy at the store, Just brown your meat in some oil over low heat,. Add the mix to some water and pour over meat, cook for about 20 minutes. I like to add some mushrooms too. Then add sour cream and serve over warm biscuts. Man is it good. I have tried stroganoff from scratch but the package mix cant be beat. It is made by McCormick and believe it or not it is just called beef stroganoff mix. Cost about a buck 89. I use it on moose steaks, venison and the tougher cuts of beef.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default moose fajitas?

roll the steaks up (makes cutting faster and easier) and cut into very thin strips. fry in a hot pan, add a packet of fajita seasoning and some onions and peppers. roll up in a tortilla with some sour cream and guacamole and you're good to go!

Here's a recipes that gets great reviews from my friends. Pound the steaks out to 1/4-1/2 in. thick. Then marinate with what ever you like. When done marinating for how ever long. Lay them out and layer with cream cheese. Then slices of onion and sliced jalapenos(seeds removed). Roll and wrap in bacon, use a couple tooth picks to hold it all together. Grill, you know when finished when the bacon is done the way you like it. You don't want to over cook the moose or gets dry. To spice it up a bit I sprinkle sausage or cooked bacon in the middle with the onions and jalapenos or add some pepper jack right before you remove from the grill. Here are some pics:
    Rolling them up

Ready for the grill

Ready to eat

ENJOY

Thanks Fireman!! Those look awesome, I am headed to get some steaks thawing for later this week!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default thanks

Thanks for the good suggestions, & great illustrations Fireman.
    Makes me hungry already.

Default My Mom's Pepper Steak

My Mom's Pepper Steak

Prepare rice - shooting for 2-3 cups of cooked rice. (I like calrose rice...but whatever you like.)

2 tbsp oil (I like olive oil with a couple drops or peanut or sesame oil.)
    1 1/2lb round steak - cut into strips (~1/8" thick)
    salt and pepper to taste
    3-4 cups of water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 green bell pepper - cut into strips
    1 can of water chestnuts or chop suey vegetables
    2 tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in water.

In a Fry pan, Saute pan or Wok:

Heat the oil
    Throw in the steak strips. Add a little salt and pepper and cook until the strips are just barely done.
    Add the soy sauce and water - simmer for 10-15 min.
    Add Green Peppers - simmer 2 more mins.
    Add cornstarch mixture - cook 3-5 mins.
    Add can or water chestnuts or chop suey vegetables. - heat through

Serve over rice.

simple comfort food - yum!