Thread: Rider dies near Spencer Glacier

Eagle River, AK

Unhappy Rider dies near Spencer Glacier

No identification yet. Be careful out there, fellas.

I used to ride that same area and lots of people do every year. I also spent quite a bit of time on the glaciers out of Thompson Pass. That was until I sat down for a beer with a couple friends that are climbing guides. Their glacier travel expertise is extensive. After the first beer I was convinced that I wouldn't be treading on glaciers with my snowmobile again. I have to come home to my three kids...glacier riding and big mountain highmarking are two things I don't need to do anymore.

I feel bad for the guy's family. This is the third crevasse related fatality in that area that I know of.

Karl Jabas has always been one of my closest freinds. He knew alot of snowmachiners and rode every chance he could. He was also in the Laborers Union (Local 341, I think...). Becuase he knew so many people his family has arranged the following services. If you knew Karl please feel free to attend ony of the following.

Memorial Sevices will be held in Valdez, AK on the 18th of May at 2pm at the Elks. In Homer, AK on the 25th of May at 3:30pm, location to be announced. In Anchorage, AK on the 31st at 1 pm at the Laborers Hall at 2501 Commercial Dr.

I didn't know him but I love to ride snowmachines, please pass our condolences on to his family and friends.

I almost died from the same situation yrs ago, not an experience I will ever forget. Needless to say, I no longer ride glaciers, nor do I hi-mark any more. I am very careful where I ride. My condolences to the family as well.