Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna Trailrace

Default Eklutna Trailrace

When do the kings start coming up the Eklutna Trailrace and what do you use for caughting them?

Thanks,
    Nathan

I have only caught one king out of the tailrace and that was 20 years ago.

But I caught it on the same thing that I would try now. A lil corky with some eggs. Same as for silvers. Maybe try some shrimp.

I have not heard that there are very many kings that get caught out of the tailrace but at least there are some to be caught.

My favorite silver fishing method with bait at the tailrace is to use a heavy 1 to 1 1/2 ounce sinker at the end of my line with a dropper hook 12 to 18 inches from the end of the line. Cast the rig out and leave it with a tight line. The sinker will anchor to the bottom. I set the hook at the slightest nibble sometimes I just lift the rod and pull back not wipping so hard to rip the bait off. I first tried this with two dropper hooks and the first hookset got me two silvers. One got off right at the bank.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I've never targeted the tailrace for kings, but my 8 year old nephew caught a 20 pounder there last year on a vibrax.

I went down there today to check it out. Did not see a single fish. There was a dude snorkling in there and he said that there were no fish in there. Very clear water. Could see all the way to the bottom. I'd say another week or two.

Last year the second week of June. Try shrimp and herring.

Steve

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    There was a dude snorkling in there and he said that there were no fish in there.
    man that dude musta been being paid to snorkle in that water. even with a dry suit i imagine that you could only last so long in that cold water.

That's what I thought, but he said the water wasn't cold and he goes there everyday to look for trash in the water and busted off lures in the rocks

The water is some what warm because it is used to cool the power plant.
    But I know you guys knew that. Grin LOL

Steve

So those are the TWO kings that were caught last year.

Is the tailrace not a good spot to fish kings? I hear different from a lot of people. Some say it sucks, some say it is good. Which is it?

Default Both

Sucks for those of us who can't seem to catch one there. Good for them that can.

It is a nice spot to fish. It had good access, you can take kids. It gets fished hard, but you can do Okay. Two of the Kings I got last year were native. This is a stocked run so the fish tend to stay there until they are harvested. Plus you can use bait, throw it out and let it sit as if you were cat fishing and wait for the bite. Because you can use bait it is much easier for people that are just starting out.

Tight Lines

Steve

From the original question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4300 View Post
    When do the kings start coming up the Eklutna Trailrace and what do you use for caughting them?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    No one has touched on when the Kings get there.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    From the original question:

No one has touched on when the Kings get there.
    It's gonna be awhile yet....Kings are only now around Anchor Point/Deep Creek. We still got another couple of weeks before they will be at the mouth's of rivers here

If we ever actually get out of winter here to the point when water temps can get a little warmer. I'm even thinking 2nd week of June before they are up by Willow Creek....maybe late 1st week.

Anyone watching Weir counts?

Default I have had a little luck at the tailrace before,

I used to live in Peters Creek area so I would head out there to do a little fishing now and then. I pulled up one morning (before the new parking area was constructed) with not too many people around and found a open spot. I asked someone if anybody had been catching anything, and she said "No, it is real slow."

I think I took about ten casts and hooked up with a bright little 12 pounder. I threw it in the truck and headed home. I was only there for about 15 minutes total and I felt bad for the people who were standing there for hours on end. (I have done that several times too)

Sockeye Scott

Default checked the river on the way home

Pulled into the tailrace on the way home. The water is cloudy from the rain but still no sign of any fish.

Thankyou all for your replies. So I guess I will have to wait a few more weeks before I can do any fishing for kings close to Anchorage.

hopefully soon.. I fished the eklutna alot and only caught 2 fish there in 2 years.. Have hooked several that had the potential to be good and the wife lost a few due to me being oooh wait let me help you but tahts a different story all together and I still get razzed about it from her..

I would try around the 2nd week of june maybe a little earlier due to weather on the kenai.. still snowing and crappy weather a few days ago..

Good luck to you all at eklutna and hope you all get a fish on.........

Probably see kings in Ship Creek before you see kings in Eklutna.

they are ship creek stock right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast